What's new

What's The Best Place To Buy DVD's On-Line? (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings fellow travelers.

For quite awhile I have been using Digital Eyes as my main source for buying DVD's (more than a thousand) with no trouble but recently there have been problems with them:

I have been sent 4 copies of The Colors Trilogy Box sets (3 of them unordered.

Today I was sent duplicates of Cube, Cube 2, The Transporter, and Darkwolf.

I've been charged for these duplicates and quadruplicates by having the money taken from my checking account via a debit card which I can't afford to do. They haven't updated their website for a long time and I can't even access a cancelation option for my current pre-orders. They also haven't been answering their email so I'll be putting a stop on my CC Debit card Monday. This used to be a great company but in one week they went straight to hell. Phone calls have resulted in a promise to send me return authorization labels for the extra disc with no guarantee that the money charged me will be put back in my checking account.

This brings me to the point of this post - can anyone recommend to me a good, reliable Etailer for DVD purchases or would I be better off using the local Best Buy or other B & M store? Thanks in advance.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
;) for over 15 years I have used DVDPLANET.com It used be Ken Cranes laserdisc-they really supported LD and helped dvd
come about. Dont always go to the place you can save a BUCK-
go for service. Excellent prices and GREAT SERVICE.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why not try Laser's Edge? They're a sponsor and official DVD supplier of the Home Theater Forum.

I've also used DVD Empire, as well as ordering DVD's from various retail websites: Amazon, Costco, Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc.

Lots of folks here seem to also like Deep Discount DVD, though some complain of slow shipping (but it is FREE shipping, after all).

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
Do you ever encounter the problem of the disc coming loose inside the keepcase during shipping and ending up scratched up when it arrives?

BrianGC

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks Malcolm - I'll certainly check out Laser's Edge and some others as well.

Brian, yes I sometimes do have discs arrive that came loose in the keepcase but so far this is a rare happening and those that were loose were undamaged (luckily).

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Here's what I do:

If the disc is this week's "BIG TITLE", that is, if I think it will be in all the Sunday Ad's, I buy it locally, since they are usually loss leaders and cheaper than any online for that first week.

All other titles, I usually pre-order from DVD Empire. Maybe a buck more, but great service.

For titles that have already been issued, I try to compare online vs. Best Buy/Target prices before I buy (it's amazing how often local ones are better).

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed recently that BLOCKBUSTER has been selling used DVD pretty cheap of new releases-they have a return policy with no charge...You might wait a couple of weeks but
you should give it a try if you are buliding a collection.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Gah! Don't support Blockbuster at all if you can. They were against DVDs in the beginning, and they usually don't support OAR now. They've become one of the 500-pound gorillas (along with Walmart) in the retail market. That being said, I've ordered nearly all of my discs from DVD Empire and DVD Planet, both of whom also support Wish Lists for DVDs you can't afford or want to buy later, as well as good pre-order support. Deep Discount DVD has good prices on a lot of discs, as well as free shipping (only for First-Class Mail).

EDIT: I forgot to add that you should check the Software for Sale/Trade area of this forum. You'll find a lot of people willing to get rid of discs cheap, and sometimes someone has a rare or OOP disc that you've been looking to add to your collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks