What's new

What's the Best Movie on your Home surround system? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Strange Days- opening scene is possibly the best use of discrete surround ever. (I have the DTS laserdisc and it has a commentary on the analog tracks, so I've never heard how the matrix surround mix of this sounds.)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Toy Story 2 from the Ultimate Collection. The THX intro with the can of cows plus the first five minutes of the movie show it all off - bass, directionality, real heavy bass, and subtle cues as well.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

I use the same THX intro (but from Monsters Inc) when giving a quick "how cool is this" demo.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Any of the Star Wars movies
Any of the LOTR movies
Any of the Harry Potter movies
Any of the Matrix movies
The Incredibles
House of Flying Daggers
Hero
Kung Fu Hustle
Saving Private Ryan
Blackhawk Down
Gladiator
Bad Boys 2

Easy scenes would be the jungle chase scene in The Incredibles, lobby fight scene or heli rescue in Matrix, drum dance scene in House of Flying Daggers, opening of Saving Private Ryan, pod race in Star Wars 1, etc. etc.

...Basically any big-budget action movie

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Although not too many like it, I put on TWISTER whenever I get something new for my HT.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Many good ones are already mentioned.

For sheer overwhelming intensity and clarity, I like the opening battle scene sound from Master and Commander (dts ES).

For directionality and way high cool factor, I like the first gun-kata scene sound in Equilibrium. I won't spoil this by saying much about it, but there ain't much to see, it's practically all aural, and I just about guarantee it's a "scene" you'll love to throw on for your friends (and yourself).

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Pearl Harbor DTS definately. Put in Disc 2, and show them the plane crash and the Japanese taking them prisoner. Gunshots are EVERYWHERE and lots of deep bass in this scene. Then, just for kicks, when that scene is over, play the Faith Hill music video to show off music! That song is 5.1 and mixed well.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Return of the King without any doubt. Two main parts:

1. The green signal coming from Minas Morgul as Gandalf and Pippin stand watching and Frodo,Sam and Gollum experience it.

2. The swooping sound of the nazgul on their fell beasts as they fly in to attack Minas Tirith.

Awesome.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Star Wars Episode I Phanton Menace dolby digital laserdisc. Best soundtrack I've yet to hear.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Adam, all those movies posted by other members are the way to go for room shaking results. But you should include Se7en for the subtle details and ambiance the DTS track is known for.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

That is the ONLY disc that actually made me motion sick from the sound. The sound of the flying bullets make me so dizzy...it's WILD!

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Heck, any action film that is mixed in Dolby Digital Surround EX is bound to be a show-off disc. That doesn't mean recent Dolby Digital tracks aren't as good (or even better). Take, for example, the Batman Begins and the 2005 War of the Worlds DVDs. Those have reference quality audio tracks that are just as good as their DD EX counterparts (too bad BB doesn't have a DTS track), if not a bit better.

My favorite DD EX demos are:

- The Incredibles
- LOTR: The Return of the King (either theatrical or extended)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Master and Commander (chapter 4 in particular sounds amazing).

My favorite DD demos:

See above for Batman Begins and War of the Worlds. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks