What's the best moisturizer for men?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

After years of playing the stereotypical man, I'm sick of having a dry face. I'd like to start using a facial moisturizer but have no idea where to even start. Money is not an object... Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Oops. Forgot to add that I've heard good things about Zirh products.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I just use Lubriderm lotion. Get it at Wal Mart for about $7 a bottle.

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Clinique M lotion. Pretty easy to find at any big dept. store like Macy's or Hecht's etc... You have to go to the women's section in the cosmetics. For some reason Clinique sells their men's stuff along with the women's. At least you'll see some nice looking chics [​IMG]
    Jeff

5. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I have found that women like a man's face to be soft with a little stuble. Plus a moisterized face is far less irritating.

I used to love Saxon which had no alcohol and worked great. It doesn't seem to exist anymore though.

Anything without alcohol will feel good. My wife buys me some kind of Suave stuff with Aloe. It works well and doesn't make my face oily.

Remember that aftershave "lotion" that was popular in the 70's that was basically alcohol and some perfume. Were they crazy, or what?

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Jeff - That reminds me of the time I worked at Wal Mart and had to work in cosmetics for a few nights. I had the keys to the men's fragarence cabinet so I tried a little bit of everything to see how it smelled. Needless to say, I smelled like a French whore every night when I left work.
    But you'd be amazed how easy it is to pick up a date while working the cosmetics counter in a dept. store. [​IMG]

7. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I use Aramis's "Lab Series for men" face lotion. It's fairly expensive, but a single tube will last a long time (mine typically last 9 months). It's the only thing that works for me. Found at Macy's, Dillard', etc. Highly Recommended.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Since I live in Colorado, which is very dry and I'm also one of the few photographers who has a darkroom, my hands get very dry, to the point of bleeding. I have found one thing that works far better than anything else I have ever tried. Eucerin Plus (in a tub, not a tube) works miracles. You can't find it just everywhere (the regular Eucerin is easier to find, but the "Plus" is significantly better) but you can usually find it at Long's Drug, Wal-Mart and probably Target. I've never used it on my face, but it's worth a try.

9. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Being that I work in the cosmetics/fragrance industry I'm going to have to suggest Lab Series For Men I work for several different companies and have tested many products (on my poor husband) and Lab Series for men is the number one moisturizer/personal care line for men in the country. (No I don't work for Estee'Lauder or Tommy Hilfiger anymore)but in my experience it's the best thing you can buy and it's not terribly expensive. Also packed with good things that help keep your skin at it's best including protection against free radicals which keeps your skin looking younger (longer) also there is an spf in most lab products.
    Eve

10. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Corn Husker's Lotion. This stuff is great because it doesn't leave a nasty, slimy, greasy feeling. [​IMG] Plus, it sounds more manly than Oil of Olay or something like that.
    [​IMG]
    "Oil-free. Originally developed for the dry hands of the IOWA CORN HUSKERS. "
    http://www.skinhelp.com/conaffairs/cornhuskers.shtml

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I second the vote for Aramis Lab Series. There's an alcohol free type and a regular moisturizer. BTW: I used to have dry parches especially in winter until I started using DOVE on my face daily. It certainly cures the dryness.

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

When I went on Accutane at the end of my 2nd year in University the little kit they had to deal with side effects included a tube of Moisturel Sensitive Skin Lotion. Even after I finished the Accutane prescription I still use it (also switched from Chapstick to Vasline Lip Therapy as a result of the kit). Works extremely well, cheap, no slimmy feel, no scent.

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I used Aramis Lab Series for a year and really liked the stuff. I used most of the line. Great shaving cream and good face cream and good aftershave and good facewash.

However, I'm back to soap and water now. I have also used Peter Thomas Roth. Good stuff. My sister flipped when I took that to college w/ me.

14. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Clinique, can't remember the exact name, but it's the yellow stuff. I just use it for the face, though. For the rest of me, I use Curel for sensitive skin (the one with the green cap, not blue)

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I should have asked you what your skin type is, that's the first question we ask customers. Secondly what are you looking for in your moisturizer?

As with any line a moisturizer will only benefit you if you start with a clean surface. I know this all sounds girlified but you would be surprised in what a change you will see if you exfoliate at least once a week or every two weeks.

There are three key steps to clean healthy skin, a good cleansing with a nice soap/wash Lab series makes bar soap and a wonderful product called POWER WASH that comes in a fairly nice sized pump style bottle. Then exfoliate (once a week to every two weeks) this removes dead skin and deep cleans your pores. Lastly moisturize SPF is a must unless you are alergic to things of that nature. Also on a side note I would like to add that if you have extemely dry skin that CHRISTIAN DIOR makes a wonderful moisturizer called "ICONE" this particular product is a (principal regulator) and once your skin starts improving you can go off of this moisturizer and use it again if the problem comes back. Most people use this moisturizer in the winter time and go to something a little lighter in the summer. I hope any of this information I provided helps...it's kind of neat that someone asked a question on HTF that happens to deal with my line of work.

BTW the price of one jar of Icone is 70.00 but a little goes a LONG way.

Peace,

Eve

16. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Eve,

17. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Cetaphil by Galderma
    Usually available at the pharmacy but no prescription needed.

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    John: Exfoliating is when you use some stuff that removes all the crud on your face thats not supposed to be there. Usually its a wash/lotion thing that has a very gritty substance in it (like nut-shells, anything with a sandy texture i guess), it feels kinda like sandpaper in a lotion form. You rub it on your face and the grits just loosen the crud on your face and you rinse it off..

Though this isnt the very exact way, but thats how i understand it... dont ask why a 16 year old guy knows what exfoliate means.. my mom studied aesthetics for awhile.. :p

19. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

Don,

You asked specifically about Zirh. I heard good things too, so I just recently started using their "Restore" herbal under eye repair. I've only been using it for a week but like it so far. As I will turn 40 in July, I'm more interested in these kinds of products too.

Eve--Are there any other products you specifically recommend for under the eyes?

Tom

20. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit