What's new

What's the best HDTV for under $2700? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stew

Auditioning
I'm 16 years old, so I really can't afford a TV that's $7000.
I've been looking at the 40H80, but that was 3 months ago. Now, I have the money to buy a TV, and am wondering: Has anything changed? Is the 40H80 still a good deal for the price?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Matt, welcome to the forum.
HDTV prices are only going to get lower over the next few years. Remember right now that the 40H80 is a monitor with an NTSC tuner. To get real HDTV, you will need a separate set top box (another $800 or more) and to really get the best out of DVD, you will need a progressive scan DVD player or a line doubler.
There will be other televisions in that class, cheaper, soon enough. If I had $2500 to burn at 16, I'd put it in savings and make a little interest while the television prices come down.
(Okay, who am I kidding, at 16, I wanted a laserdisc player *so* bad...but I still waited, because I did not have the money!)
- Steve

Matt_Stew

Auditioning
Hmm, well, I am going to buy a progressive DVD player, I have a post about this in the hardware fourm.
I just got like $15,000 from my grandparents, and I my parents are letting my spend some money on a TV, and a car.
The rest is for college.
PS. The $2700 is with shipping. I can't afford any more.

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
Richie Rich, do you have a decent PC? The HD-ready RCA 36110 costs about $1800, and is nice when used with a home theater PC. You can force a squeeze for 1080i in the service mode. For a TV tuner, you could either use an old VCR or a TV card in your PC.
The HD-ready Toshiba 40H80 is very popular and seems like a reasonable choice.
The HD-ready Panasonic CT-32HX40 costs about $1500 and is a pretty good deal.
You might also look at the $900ish Samsung TSK-2792F and similar models, which may take 1080i input but display it as 480p (good enough for a 16-year old
wink.gif
)
The RCA DTC100 (or its Proscan equivalent) costs "only" $550, and I bet you could get a used one cheap now. The HiPix HDTV card for PC's costs about $400. You'll also need an antenna for local OTA HDTV, preferably one mounted on the roof, so that's another $60-$200. Also, cabling for home theaters is expensive, especially if you buy from your local home theater stores.
Good luck.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
I would recommend you to wait for couple more months if you can. There will be new models of Prog scan DVD players which will be much more cheaper-heck as Abdul suggested you can use a top of line PC as prog scan dvd player;nothing to beat that.
Again Panasonic is introducing 2K (LIST) 47" widescreen TV in fall. I am sure with such pricing, all other brands and models will come cheaper.
Cheers,
Kishore

Vince Pack

Auditioning
Hi Matt,
I just bought the 40H80. After about a month of research (reading magazine reviews, checking manufacturers specs, and reading tons of consumer's reviews) this is the set that we felt best met our needs. Remember this is an HD readt tv, but to oppose one comment made earlier, this tv has a line doubler built in. Adding a progressive scan dvd will even further improve picture quality, but now we're talking diminishing returns on your money. I have digital cable right now, but I'm checking into the Dish 6000 system. We LOVE the 40H80. Best Buy just had a sale this weekend for $2250. I bet you could talk a manager into selling at that price.
Vince

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
You should be able to buy the Toshiba in the $2100-2200 range if you shop around. The MSRP on the set is now $2499.
I know this is off topic, and i am sure you don't want a lecture, but save your money. When I was 13 my grandmother left me $2000. I invested it and turned it into $11,000.
I bought a brand new Z28 Camaro for cash in 1983. Sold it to go back to college and 2 years later the money was gone.
Buy a used car, and put the money away and don't even think about it. If you want to get into audio/video get an afterschool job and let it pay for your hobby.
If i had to do it over again i would have left it in the stockmarket. I am still following the stocks that i had invested in originally and my investment is worth about $210,000 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks