What's the best HDTV for around $4000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Trainotti, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Mike Trainotti

Mike Trainotti Auditioning

If you had a choice of a Toshiba 56H80, Pioneer SD-582-HD5, or one of the many 56" Mitsubishi HDTV's which one would you choose, and why? I'm leaning toward the Pioneer as the "Progressive Lock" issue is not a problem for me -- I'm asking for input based purely on image quality.
    Thanks for your opinions,
    MIKE

2. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

From what I have heard, the Pioneer's are outstanding sets, especially the Elites.
    I went with a Mits because of the upgrade promise. The other lines, I believe, don't have this promise. This was a selling point for me. That and the fact there is lots of support and tweaking found on forums for the Mits and they are also great sets.
    Another good thing about Mits is that Sears carries them and will price match, you could get the 55807 at Sears for around 2400.
    Check out HomeTheaterSpot.com and look around for posts on Sears price matching. People have gotten some outstanding deals from them.
    Neal

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

5. Phil_T

Phil_T Auditioning

I got my Toshiba 65H80 from ubid.com for $2800 plus $300 shipping. They are sold as refurbished, but I am pretty sure from the condition it was in and the packing, etc. that it was a new item.
    In any case at that price I am extremely happy. I do think the Mits have slightly sharper appearance in some situations, but not enough to jsutify the price differnce to me.

6. ScottL

ScottL Agent

Hitachi 53swx01W or the Pioneer would be my picks.
    The Hitachi upconverts everything to a progressive signal and has a brighter picture than the Toshiba.
    Scott

7. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

I also got the Mits(65907) and the Toshiba 6200, couldn't be happier. I think the Mits has a stunning picture, even on sat.

8. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

$3000 Philips 60PP9601 (from http://www.sears.com)Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

9. Joe T

Joe T Auditioning

Mike, Go to a cc store or sears and check out the Hitachi 53swx01w or even the 61swx01w their pictures rival that of the elites at an substantial discount they use 6 element lenses and perform 3/2 pulldown on film sources. just my .2 cents.
    ------------------
    JT

10. Tony_Wang

Tony_Wang Auditioning

I'm very happy with my Mits 65807 and yeah, the upgrade promise makes a world of difference. The picture is nothing short of fantastic, especially with a real HDTV source.
    Re: Joe T's comments on the Hitachi, they have a beautiful picture as well. I have to ask: how the heck does a TV do a 3-2 conversion? I think you must be referring to "Film" or "Movie" mode, which is NOT 3-2 conversion. Anybody else know about this???
    - Tony
    ------------------
    Equipment List
    DVD collection