Whats the best HD monitor for under 2K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beacom, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I just recieved my 3rd bad Panasonic flatscreen today and I am not a happy chappy. All 3 have been the 4x3 HD ready direct view Tau's and all 3 have had a slight red push and bad geometry.
    I am thinking that it might be time to think about a different manufacturer and/or a different type of TV. I know that geometry problems and flatscreens are synonymous with each other.
    Do I have any real alternatives in the under 2K ball park or not? I have heard that in changing from direct view to RPTV I'm just trading one set of problems for another.
    Am I asking too much from a set in this price range? Can't I expect my set to reproduce a straight line as a friggin straight line?
    I want 480p, 1080i and component inputs so I can watch anamorphic DVD's. I'm open to any advice at the moment as I want to know if my best option is just to percevere with replacement sets till a good one arrives.
    Thanks.

2. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

How about the new Toshiba 42H81 or the older 40H80? Those both should be around $2000. One good thing about RPTV's is you can get perfect geometry. I've got a TW40X81 and definantly prefer it to the WEGA I had.
    Ryan
    ------------------

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Ryan,
    So if I got an RPTV that had bad geometry out of the box how would I fix it? Is it fixed via menu's or by taking things apart?

4. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

You can fix the geometry by adjusting the convergence in the service menu.
    I started off with the red CRT grid and in the service menu adjusted the lines until they were straight and evenly spaced. (You can do this by eye or get a convergence template that overlays the TV and helps you out. I'm happy with my results from my eye and a ruler.) Once you have red right get the other CRT's to align with it.
    There are also other service mode geometry parameters that can help you out.
    Ryan
    ------------------

5. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

The Mitsubishi WS-46807 and Hitachi 36UX01S are reasonable choices. The Philips 60PP9601 is just $2199 at Costco, and even if that's over your price range, Costco has other great deals right now on last year's sets.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group