Whats the best for around $500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom DeWitt, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Tom DeWitt

Tom DeWitt Auditioning

1st off Let me just say I wish I had found this place sooner!!!

As for my question, I have recently tried out a Pioneer VSX-1015TX (120Wx7 / TXH cert.) in my home as well as a Yamaha HTR-5860 (110Wx7 / XM) Overall I feel as though the Pioneer is a better unit.

I was just wondering if I was missing anything in the $500-600 range Onkyo ? Sony ?

I was also considering the Yamaha HTR-5890 (140Wx7 / THX Cert.) but thats pushing up into the $700 range.

I just dont wan't to commit to one only to find out Yoshmitsu makes a supiror reciver for the same money.

Thanks,
    Tom

PS I have Klipsch SF-3 front speakers as 2-pair of Klipsch SF-1's for the Surround & surround back speakers. I don't yet have a sub, but thats for a later post.
    I currently have a Sony STR-995 reciver
    Thanks again.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Tom,

Panasonic makes a superior sounding receiver for $250 (or less) - if you can, take a XR55 home for a 30 day trial.

there's a fairly comprehensive review here by a german magazine - (translation by Babelfish)

3. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar budget for the receiver. I've considered JVC RX-D301/D401, Sony STR-DA5000ES, Yamaha RX-V2500, and Denon AVR-686S. I ended up getting Panasonic SA-XR55S. There were rave reviews for this receiver everywhere, and I had to hear it myself in my own listening room. Plus it costs less than 1/2 of the other receivers I was considering, and I just couldn't resist. If what everyone's claiming is true, Panasonic should be able to outperform anything under $500 range. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know after the audition.

4. Jeff_A_G

Jeff_A_G Stunt Coordinator

Panasonic also has the next step up, the SA-XR70 with a retail of $499.95:

XR70S link

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the XR70 is an older 6.1 receiver compared to the XR55 (7.1, despite what the Panny US site says, look for and download the user manual and check) the model number denotes its position in the range relative to the XR55 i.e the XR70 is a higher specced (in terms of having HDMI and an OSD) but is an older model (together with the XR50).

the XR55 even though it doesn't have HDMI or On Screen Display, has binding posts on all channels and also a lower LFE crossover point at 80Hz (lowest in XR70 is 100Hz)

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Chose a Panny X55 for a friend who asked me suggest a reciever for them. I kept it and tried to adjust it before giving it to them. I must say that it sounded as good or better than any other reciever I've heard. BTW I choose it because I've owned and heard analog recievers all my life so why not try something different. I told them I would buy it back if they didn't like it. They are pleased as can be with the unit.

7. Jeff_A_G

Jeff_A_G Stunt Coordinator

^ No offense, but did you just copy and paste this from another post?

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I saw this one on Tweeter’s sight yesterday for $600. You might make the stretch, because the Yamaha’s remote is far superior to most everything else in this price range - more flexible, easier to program and navigate, has macros and full learning capability, with most receiver controls fully available and functioning no matter what source you’re using (as opposed to having to always toggle back and forth between “Amp” and “Source”).

People don’t give much thought to the remotes, but when it gets right down to it, it’s the remote that determines if your viewing experience is pleasurable or an exercise in frustration. IMO it’s just as much a “make or break” factor as say, inferior specs.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Tom DeWitt

Tom DeWitt Auditioning

I am suprised by all the Panasonic fans here, I never gave them much thought.

I basicly have in narowed down to either the Yamaha HTR-5890, Or the Denon AVR-2106. Like Wayne said the Yamaha is $600.00 @ tweeter and Myer-Emco here in the MD area has the Denon on sale for $650.00

I have also have not been impresed my Yamahas XM tuner, it loses track of where it is on the dial and sends error messages if you change channels to fast for it.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Yamaha and Denon are two of the most popular brands here at the HTF. I am a Yamaha fan myself. You won't go wrong with either choice.

11. Gord Simpson

Gord Simpson Auditioning

I've been looking at Recievers for a coupla weeks now. Currently on my short list are the 'Pioneer VSX-1015TX' and the 'Denon AVR-686S'. An early runner was the 'Panasonic SA-HE75' cause it was cheap and attractive in its simplicity, but I ended up ruling it out cause one of my stipulations is I don't want to have to change the video input on the television. At the very least I want video up conversion to Component. I know now I need to spend more then something like the HE75.

I was surprised coming on here to find so many backing a 'digital' reciever. I was of the understanding that though providing accurate sound, they lacked the warmth of a traditional reciever/amp.

But I'm willing to give it a try, so here's my question. Before I look into it further will the 'Panasonic SA-XR55S' upconvert composite and svideo to component out.

For that matter, if anyone knows of any others in the price range of the Denon and Pioneer previously mentioned, that you think I aught to check out, let me know. But its gotta upconvert to the very least component out.

Thanks in advance guys.

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Delete...

13. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

I can't say that I would ever decide on 700-800$ receiver because of the remote. A universal learning remote from wal-mart or radio shack would probably cost about 25$.Most people already have one. The component itself is the make or break part. Am I crazy!