Whats the BEST Direct TV receiver??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Dec 6, 2001.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I am fixing to switch to Direct TV and the installer is saying stay away from the RCA units. He is recommending the Hughes E11 silver edition. He also says that he can get me any receiver out on the market. Anyone have suggestions on the best receiver out there?

Hughes Network Systems:

HIRD-E1, HIRD-E2, HIRD-E6, HIRD-E4, HIRD-86

GAEB0, GCEB0

Mitsubishi:

SR-SD1, SR-HD5

Panasonic:

TU-HDS20, TZ-DBS01, TZ-DRD100

Philips:

DSX 5250 R, DSX 5353 R, DSX 5353 X, DSHD 800 R,

DSR 6000 R

RCA:

DRD420RE, DRD440RE, DRD480RE, DWD490RE, DTC100,

DRD430RG, DRD450RG, DRD485RG

Samsung:

SIR-S60W

Sony:

SAT A55, SAT B55, SAT HD100, SAT T60, SAT W60, SAT B-65

Toshiba:

DST-3000

2. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

What's wrong with the RCA units? I have two of them - the 420RE's I believe, and I have not had any problems with them. I like the RCA menu interface much better than the others. Wonder why he says to stay away from them.

Bryan

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

The prices of Ultimate TV and DirecTiVo have really come down the last 2-3 months. How could you not check them out?

4. Paul_KS

Paul_KS Auditioning

I found I wanted an RF remote so I could control my DSS receiver through walls and floors. This enables me to install one DSS unit in the basement which feeds the whole house and it's easy to control from any room. If that interests you it may knock out a few from your list [​IMG]
    Also, I lost the modem on my Sony unit twice (the second time both the power and phone were connected via surge protector). The previous owners of my new home left their RCA unit behind so I'm using it now. The RCA unit locks up occasionally so I had to put it on an X10 switch so I could power it off remotely. [​IMG] I think the guide listing is a little more difficult on the RCA. I can't EASILY monitor a station during commercials and surf to see what else is showing.

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

All of the receivers' guts are built by Hughes, so the main differences are in the program guides. (I like RCA's myself) There are also different features available in some receivers:

-Tivo/Ultimate TV

-Dolby Digital

-DirecTv Interactive Wink

-Advanced Program Guides

-"Plus" capability (receives secondary satellite programming)

-Component video & coaxial digital audio output

-High definition capability

Personally, I'd go with a DirecTivo unit, which is available cheap right now. If you need HDTV, there are a few choices. The other receiver I like right now is RCA's 485RG, which has component video output & coaxial or optical audio outputs.

(I currently own an RCA 480RE & I'm looking at Tivo receivers right now...)

-Dan B