What's the best deal on a DVD Recorder? Have prices come down?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Marty Christion, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

My family wants to buy my dad a set-top DVD recorder for Christmas. It doesn't have to be too fancy; it will just be used to transfer VHS to DVD.

Are there any good bargains to be had that anyone is aware of?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

There is a new low-cost Liteon model - its cheaper than the others under $299.

3. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

By transferring VHS to DVD I assume you are referring to home movies? If your Dad is thinking about converting his movie library, forget it. Most store bought VHS tapes have copyright protection. I'm sure there are ways to hack it but you might want to hold on to that VCR.

4. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Marty,
    If you want to spend a bit more than the LiteOn (I'd stick to a major brand this early in the game, but who knows, maybe it's a great deal), the Panasonic DMR-E80H is great. It has a superb hard-drive that allows you to record to it, do some editing, then burn to a DVD. Last year this kind of model would have cost upwards of $1000 or more -- now you can get it shipped online for just over $500. (Panasonic's next model down is over $400 -- for me an extra $100 for the hard drive is absolutely worth it).

5. AustinCC

AustinCC Auditioning

Walmart has the excellent Cyberhome DVD+RW Recorder CH-DVR 1500 for $294. If you shop online, you may find $50 rebate for this model which bring the price down to $244.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Last week BrandsMart in Flordia had the Samsung DVDR4000 for $248.88 & I'm told it's just a clone of a Panasonic.So it does pay to shop around.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Sears has a Sansui DVD-R/RW model that can dub from VHS >>> DVD and DVD >>> VHS for $400.00. Excellent deal.

8. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I have the Panny E-80. I use the hard drive a lot more than I ever thought I would. So, I would say if you can afford to, definately get a model with a hard drive.

I actually use the hard drive a lot more now than I use the DVD recorder and I originally bought it for the recorder.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I haven't heard anything pro or con the Cyberhome model, but I am aware of the Apex model walmart also keeps having the ability to do correct TBC with a firmware upgrade on their website; this makes capturing from some VHS much easier.. anyone have experience on capturing from VHS on the Cyberhome? I have -tons- of things I would love to put to DVD [​IMG]

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    If the E80 could do -RW i would spring at it, but DVD Ram is just not a viable Alternative since no standalone I have will play them. I'm actually a +R Man anyhow having Plus Recorder in my PC.