What's the best component cables to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javon_W, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Are the AR component cables good? What is the difference from AR, Monster and Better cables? Monster and Better cables are pretty expensive but I was wondering which would be better in the long run, Thanks.

2. Jeff Reinis

Jeff Reinis Extra

I have a Panasonic plasma and have my HDTV Toshiba DST3000 hooked directly to the TV with Monster Video 3. I saw the ad for Better Cables and switched to the silver serpent cables and actually saw a little diffrence for the better.

So I would say Better Cables is better.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Paging Bob McElfresh . . . [​IMG]

4. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Yeah I was looking at those but $99.99 for 1 meter?? I need atleast 3 meters for my setup, I have a Toshiba 42h81 so I want to know if there would be a drastic change in picture quality or if the AR's are just as good.

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

You may want to mention which AR cable you are considering as their are 3 different types.

6. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Of course component cables can consist of using three composite cables.

Due to exploitation by suppliers of the current component cabling adoption rate, you might find three composite cables of a given quality to be less $$ from a manufacturer than buying the equivalent component version from the same manufacturer.

I use Nordost Super Optix video cables for my Elite RPTV, but Nordost cables are pricey.

7. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

8. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

ive got my jvc pro scan dvd player hooked up with the same AR cables from best buy..... they do fine. I along with you and many others dont wanna shell out 100.00 for 1 meter when we need 2-3 meters. The ar's i got do great. I am sure there are better brands but I would definetly say go for the AR's. You will be happy. And (in my own opinion, please dont flame me) the difference between the AR at best buy and better cables the difference i dont think would be worth 200-300. But then again thats just me. I did have the monster components first, and once again in my opinion they are no better than walmart component cables...well maybe a little better. Hope this helps.

9. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I have a pretty negative opinion of the Monster cables for the home (I like the car stuff). I ended up doing my whole theater with MIT cables. I honestly didn't notice much difference between the Tributaries and the more expensive MIT cables. I'd give the AR cables a try if I were you.

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

11. William_K_F

William_K_F Agent

I went with hand made ones off ebay. Low cost good quality.
    The one I chose was bluejeans, Kurt Denke [email protected], cable $40 for a 3 feet and I am very happy with them on my Toshiba 34HF81. The connectors are Canare RCA plugs and the cable is Belden 1694A.
    This is supposedly the best cable you can get. Main advantage is in the Canare connectors which is where almost all of the cable cost is (wire almost nothing in comparison.) These Canare connectors have ideal characteristics for video (something like near zero impedance/capacitance.)
    Hope this helps.
    -William

12. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I use AR pro series cables all around for my HT setup. Construction is excellent and as far as I'm concerned, they use quality connectors... not to mention they absolutely beautiful cables as well. I originally had a 12 foot Masters Component cable, but I was using a 32" non HDTV wega, so I found very little benefit to keeping it,

13. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

If you get a discount at Best Buy, go with the monster video 1. You should be able to pick them up for around $30 for 2 meters.

14. Steve-T

Steve-T Extra

I am on a budget so I have had good luck at Radio Shack. If appearances mean anything I think they look as good if not better than the Monsters and such at most of the A/V stores.

15. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

simple,

try the ARs if you don't like em return em.

Monster is genrally good, bbut ARs are cheaper and perform about the same.

16. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

17. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Oh yeah one more thing, will Rhinocables give me a better picture than the ones made by bluejeans? Let me know what would be better for a toshiba 42H81 :b

18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Higher quality cables will give you an improved picture over lower quality cables. The problem is that quality isnt' always associated with cost. I have used CatCables in my system and I really like their build quality, service and sonic/video improvements they've made. Granted they are more expensive then AR or Radio Shack cables but IMO they are worth the cost to get properly made hand built cables that will last you a long time.

19. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I second catcables about the build quality and service. I got silver interconects from doug and they sound great.

20. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I think the low end AR cables are one of the best bangs for the buck. I'll personally be going for the AR Pro Series for my setup. It would contain a set of components, two fiber optic cables, and a digital coaxial cable. A company by the name of Petra deals with my fathers store wholesale. I'll be able to get six foot components for just under $30. [​IMG] I'm sure I could find them close or as cheap as this somewhere on the net, but the availability and security is with this purchase. [​IMG]
    Mike, I must agree with you. The Pro Series by AR are a thing of beauty. [​IMG]