What's the best CD player for around 200 bucks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Mike__

Mike__ Auditioning

okay guys, im saving my money and i want to know what the best sounding cd player for around 200-250 bucks is. What im looking for is a good analog sound, a nice warm sound, u know? i dont want something that makes the cds sound more digital than they already are. i was looking into the denon cdm-370, people said it sounds amazing and beats out other cd players that cost 200 dollars more, but people complain that they break after about 2 years. have u guys had any bad experiences with them? i was really considering buying the denon but i read reviews and a lot of people said that they werent very reliable. and sometimes they wouldnt read the cds right and u'd have to turn it off and come back in like 30 mins before it'd eat the cd up right. i dont want a player that isnt gonna work when i want it to. so any suggestions? all i want is good warm natural sound for around 200-250 bucks. also, if you leave a suggestion on what cd player i should buy i'd like it if you could give me an online store where i could buy it from for a good price too, if you know one. thanks a lot.

2. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

i just got a new HK 8380--5 disk changer for 199. I got it from Saturday Audio Exchange here in Chicago
    ------------------
    Web address is saturdayaudio.com
    [Edited last by Geordy on July 12, 2001 at 11:49 PM]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

well I'd go with a different route and buy a used external DAC like a http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/db08.htm

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

The AMC CD 8b can be had for $199 a few places currently. I would consider it and the NAD offerings that are around that price.
    I relate to exactly what you are saying regarding a more 'warm' and natural sound for a CD source, or more to the point, not clinically digital sounding. And I love bang for the buck finds, and employ an NAD 512 for CD, which that AMC seems to be a re-branding of.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I would classify the Denon DCM-370 as a warm-sounding CD player for the price. I bought one for $250 last October and have been very impressed with the sound using the analog outputs for the price. In my experience, it doesn't sound so digital (harsh, edgy, etc.). As for the unit breaking down, I have read about some bad experiences, but I have had no problems whatsoever. Now, it is not my primary player, so I don't use it extensively. Nevertheless, it has performed flawlessly.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You might want to wait just a bit.
    Sony is coming out with a $300 SACD player this fall, which will also obviously play CDs. Might have to wait and see what the quality of the CD playback is, but if you're going to spend $200-250, why not spend $50 more and get a format that can directly compete with analog?
    ------------------

7. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Where can I get more info on this new Sony? HDCD, DACs, etc?

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Mike,
    I have my Denon DCM-370 for sale in the "Hardware for Sale/Trade" area if your interested.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin,
    Good point about the forthcoming Sony SCD-XE670 single-disc SACD/CD player. For $300, it will play both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. It should be a nice component. Initial reviews of the SCD-CE775 SACD/CD carousel changer ($350 retail) in Sound & Vision, Home Theater, and on Audio Asylum have been positive. It too is a multi-channel player.
    Seungsoo,
    The 'XE670 will not have an HDCD decoder. Sony does not incorporate HDCD technology into its players. From personal experience, the difference between HDCD discs and regular CDs is inconsequential in comparison to the benefits offered by SACD. As for the DAC, the 'XE670 will use some version of Sony's proprietary Current Pulse DSD DAC. I'm not sure if it will be the same as the DAC being used in it ES multi-channel SACD players (SCD-C555ES available now, SCD-XA777ES available in August, or SCD-C222ES available in September).
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime