What's new

What's the best buy at Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

Todd Bohlke

Agent
I have a friend interested in getting a 5.1 system for her house to go w/ her HK AVR 120 and has some gift cards for Best Buy. Would her best bet be going for the Wharfdale Diamond series or would something from JBL be better? The max she wants to spend is $600. Thanks!

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
Do not pay the high prices for the JBL speakers at Best Buy ! You can find them for half the rpice on the net from and authorized JBL dealer ! I paid $266 for my JBL S38II's on-line and Best Buy wants $499 a pair !

Todd,

I don't know what Best Buy is getting for the Diamonds, but if that fits in her budget, go for it! I am positive she will be very pleased with their performance. Just to give you a reference point, I bought 8.4 mains, diamond 8 center and 8.1 rears for $899 online.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'd sell the Best Buy gift cards on ebay and buy speakers at a real speaker shop. :)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
If she "HAS" to purchase at BB and not on line, the JBL's and Wharf Diamond offerings might be her best bet.

I prefer the Diamond line to the JBL, BUT that is a personal preferance.

If she can sell the BB certificates, shopping on line has much more to offer aside from the brands mentioned that offer excellent price to performance ratio.

Go listen to as much as you can at BB and also other BM places to find what she might like. May make it easier for her to decied if BB offered speakers are something she really is interested in.

One thing is for sure, if she can buy on line as opposed to BB, the prices will be better for most anything BB offers. Also, it opens up so many other speaker brand options.

You could try to get BB to price match what you might find you like at BB to a online retailers print out.. Some have been able to do this and others have not.

Good Luck
Geoff

Todd Bohlke

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I would personally go for the Diamonds over the JBLs, but if she would rather go the JBL route (if she decides she has to get them at BB), what are the best JBLs that you can buy @ BB?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Suggestion - buy something ELSE she needs that BB has a good deal on, and buy the speaks somewhere else.

May need to save a little while, but heck... She could buy the speaks somewhere else, and use the cards for music or DVDs, whatever...

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet on the forum, but Best Buy will be carrying Athena speakers sometime this year. Both the Audition and Point 5 line will be carried.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
what are the best JBLs that you can buy @ BB?
The Studio Line is the best Best Buy offers. I am running S26II's all around with an S-CenterII. I love the setup. They are large enough to fill the room with sound.

If the budget does not allow, you can look toward the Northridge Series, as they're a good budget speaker.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet on the forum, but Best Buy will be carrying Athena speakers sometime this year.
Not sure why Athena has such a following. IMO, they fit just perfectly with the speakers BB currently sells.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Both the Audition and Point 5 line will be carried.
?????????????????????end quote............
It amazes me that bb will carry a line of speakers called the auditions when most of the bb's I've been in can't audition anything for me!:)
As for James Lansing's old company, don't get me started....
Does anyone know who now owns Wharfdale...not the original ownership right?
Remember KLH?...name and logo bought out of bancruptcy as an assett by a Korean(?) firm....
Advent now owned by Recoton.....
"BB, Where audio goes to die"
Klipsch, it was nice knowin' 'ya....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks