What's new

What's the best (but cheapest) 5.1 system available? (1 Viewer)

Brad Scott

Agent
Hi all,

Sorry for the barrage of posts/questions lately, but I'm now resigned to looking for the best quality 5.1 surround system for the most affordable price. I know there are tons of choices for high-end gear, but since I'm really on a budget, I'd like to know your recommendations for the cheapest system offering the best sound.

So far, the only affordable 5.1 systems I've heard of that supposedly sound decent are the Energy Take 5+1 system, and the Klipsch Quintets. Are these good choices?

I've seen the Energy Take 5 for $485, and that's about where I need to be right now.

What other complete system (with sub) can compete with these other two?

For $500, what would you buy?

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Another option would be the JBL NSP-1 package and the Dayton Titanic 10" sub from Partsexpress. Street price (eBay, Audiogon) should come in right around $500, maybe a bit more once you factor in shipping.

I've had the Quintets and currently have the JBL N24s as rears in my system, and I can tell you the JBLs are quite a bit superior -- better bass (the Quintets have almost none despite what their specs say), more realistic mids and less sharp, "shouty" treble.

Nick L

Second Unit
I've been hearing pretty good things about Infinity's new entry level system, the Primus system. Check it out here. Looks like it's right in your budget.

With only $500 for a speaker budget it might be better(if you plan on upgrading later) to just buy a nice set of main speakers. Then save a little more and upgrade as you go. May actually save you money down the road, since you won't have to re-buy all of the pieces again. I never had the patience to do it, but in hindsight, I wish I would have.

Nick

Brad Scott

Agent
I checked out the Ventriloquist system, but there's not much on it since it's not out yet. The Hsu site has a couple of threads about it, however.

I will also look into the JBLs.

Thanks

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my suggestion.

Wharfedale Diamond series:
8.1's front, retail $200 a pair
Diamond center, retail $150
DFS dipole surrounds, retail $220
and the new Dayton 10" Sub for $125

The Wharfedale can be had for 30% off if you know where to look, plus shipping of course.
This is similar to my setup and for the $ the Diamonds are almost unbeatable.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Chad

IMO, Wharfedale Diamonds are one of the best values out there. Nothing I have auditioned at their price point even comes close.

Give them a listen if you can.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I like Klipsch myself. The Quintets are very nice and the 5 speaker setup can be found for about $350 or so. No subwoofer is included, but you can always pick one up for about $200 (good quality) and will put you right around your $500 limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks