What's new

What's the Best Blu-ray Player under $599? (1 Viewer)

PeterDI

Grip
I did have the latest firmware. The Sony rep i spoke with said it simply did not have the right decoder for MA. Firmware does not fix everything. Lots of people seem to think so. Anyhoo... if you look around at lots of other boards you will see it will never do MA.

I have the Oppo 981. Nothing beats it at upconverting. The Panny is good but not as good and the PS3, to me, lagged noticeably behind in this regard to both of these.

Don't get me worng. The PS3 is a fantastic piece of gear. It does lots well. But for my needs, BD quality, it just wasn't enough. Actuallly the lack of MA had nothing to do with me sending it back. It was the upconversion, the noise and the heat. I really did like it. But the Panny made more sense for me. If could have talked the wife into letting me keep both I would have. My son nearly cried when I told him I was taking it back. He was ready to move back in had i kept it. Maybe it was wise to send it back then.

The bottom line with all this is do you like it? Is it good enough for you. The danger of these boards is that it builds a sense of "i have to get it exactly right or it will diminish my experience." So we hope beyond hope that our equipment will somehow be the end all. It won't. Tomorrow brings better equipment. Can we live with that? I can live without MA so the Panny it is. I can also live wihtout all the geewhiz Java stuff. I really just want to watch a movie with great sound.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anybody who has heard lossless vs compressed will tell a difference. It's very obvious. DTS MA should be no different than PCM or Dolby True HD(as long as they don't use dial norm). PCM and DTHD are vastly superior to compressed DD and DTS, it's not funny.

PeterDI

Grip
True. I am in the process of comparing the Onkyo 805 and Pioneer 91tx. In both cases when I go back and forth between adui formats I can tell the difference. I am stepping up from the Pio 1014tx so both sound fantastic. I mean really fantstic. So I will be going back and forth with them through next weekend and see where I land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks