What's new

What's the best ball-point pen? (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
The idea for this thread came from the recent discussion about mechanical pencils. Now that I'm up to speed on the pencil side of things, I was wondering what people's favourite pens are?

Personally, I always have a Papermate FlexGrup Ultra in my pocket. I use the Fine one, with black ink. This pen writes well, it feels nice, and I like the removable cap (as opposed to the "click" style pens.) They're expensive (almost a dollar each, which is pretty high for a disposable pen in my opinion) but I see on the papermate site that they sell refills, so that might be worth looking into.

http://www.papermate.com/sanford/con...navbrand.jhtml

I also see that they have an ink colour on the website called "new black" which I find hilarious. I'll have to check that out sometime.

The pen I write with at home is a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen that I enjoy very much, but wouldn't like to carry on a day to day basis.

What does everyone else use?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I dislike "traditional" ballpoints, I usually use uniballs or the finer stuff-- though they might have balls, i don't think of those as ballpoints...

One ballpoint I do like is the Pentel P100. It's reasonably affordable, not too esoteric, available at Office Max and whatnot. It's certainly not a high end one with removable cartridges... but for taking notes in class, it's the only traditional ballpoint I'll use.

Otherwise, I go for the more "scratchy" style stuff like Uniball rolling writers and their deluxe lines.

-Vince

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Are we talking about the quality of construction, feel, look of the pen or the way it writes? I prefer any of the gel-ink pens myself.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Here is what I've had 5 or 6 years and what I use most of the time when I'm out of the office. Lamy Swift Palladium (although I will grab whatever crappy office pen is around as well)It is a great pen that feels really nice and writes well. Also, you will have the added bonus of it being the same pen as the one held by The Architect in The Matrix: Reloaded.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Mark knows his pens. That is my pen of choice too.

But, I wouldn't recommend them if you have a habit of forgetting them. It could get a little costly.

Glenn

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of pens... Anyone know what type of pen Naomi Watts' character used in The Ring during the doodling sequence? Thanks in advance.

- Walter.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
love my dr. grips!

not too expensive, writes well, and feels good in my hand!

i tried those gel pens ... but the ink doesn't seem to flow very well. maybe i just got a bogus one...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my favorite pen is the qwerty keyboard.
I really don't write anything more than a check, and even those are rare. So I don't really pay attention.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Uni-Ball "Vision" Fine...

AWESOME bulk pen... They sell them at staples and office max by the case...

Uni-ball

For "fancy" ballpoint pens... Nothing beats a Mont Blanc Rollerball...

Mont Blanc

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I love watery ink!!! Im a big fountain pen fan... So I dont mind dry time... I just love the way the uniball glides on the page...

Assuming you use "normal" paper (as opposed to highly absorbant paper like news print or paper towels :) ) I find the dry time is under 1 second.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Uni-balls, I think, are considered "roller-ball" type pens, as opposed to ball-points. Yes the ink flows more heavily than ballpoint, but they do smudge easier. And I've been using Pilot Precise Rolling ball pens at work, and if you mistreat them (drop them too often) they will spring small leaks that eventually well up w/ ink and then suddenly you've got colored fingertips! :D

As far as good ballpoints, I like the Dr. Grip series because I tend to squeeze the pen too hard when I write. These help ease the pain! ;)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I find that the gel-ink pens tend to smear, and they run out quickly! They also bleed through the page depending on paper used. That being said, they generally look much cooler :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks