What's the best ball-point pen?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob Movies, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

The idea for this thread came from the recent discussion about mechanical pencils. Now that I'm up to speed on the pencil side of things, I was wondering what people's favourite pens are?

Personally, I always have a Papermate FlexGrup Ultra in my pocket. I use the Fine one, with black ink. This pen writes well, it feels nice, and I like the removable cap (as opposed to the "click" style pens.) They're expensive (almost a dollar each, which is pretty high for a disposable pen in my opinion) but I see on the papermate site that they sell refills, so that might be worth looking into.

http://www.papermate.com/sanford/con...navbrand.jhtml

I also see that they have an ink colour on the website called "new black" which I find hilarious. I'll have to check that out sometime.

The pen I write with at home is a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen that I enjoy very much, but wouldn't like to carry on a day to day basis.

What does everyone else use?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I dislike "traditional" ballpoints, I usually use uniballs or the finer stuff-- though they might have balls, i don't think of those as ballpoints...

One ballpoint I do like is the Pentel P100. It's reasonably affordable, not too esoteric, available at Office Max and whatnot. It's certainly not a high end one with removable cartridges... but for taking notes in class, it's the only traditional ballpoint I'll use.

Otherwise, I go for the more "scratchy" style stuff like Uniball rolling writers and their deluxe lines.

-Vince

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  4. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    "BIC round stic med.USA"

I prefer the BIC to the Papermate.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Are we talking about the quality of construction, feel, look of the pen or the way it writes? I prefer any of the gel-ink pens myself.

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Here is what I've had 5 or 6 years and what I use most of the time when I'm out of the office. Lamy Swift Palladium (although I will grab whatever crappy office pen is around as well)It is a great pen that feels really nice and writes well. Also, you will have the added bonus of it being the same pen as the one held by The Architect in The Matrix: Reloaded.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mark knows his pens. That is my pen of choice too.

But, I wouldn't recommend them if you have a habit of forgetting them. It could get a little costly.

Glenn

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Speaking of pens... Anyone know what type of pen Naomi Watts' character used in The Ring during the doodling sequence? Thanks in advance.

- Walter.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

love my dr. grips!
    [​IMG]

not too expensive, writes well, and feels good in my hand!

i tried those gel pens ... but the ink doesn't seem to flow very well. maybe i just got a bogus one...

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my favorite pen is the qwerty keyboard.
    I really don't write anything more than a check, and even those are rare. So I don't really pay attention.

12. BrianBo

BrianBo Stunt Coordinator

B-sling makes as terrific pen...

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Who uses a pen, honestly? [​IMG]

These work and are excellent for chewing on:

[​IMG]

14. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Uni-Ball "Vision" Fine...

AWESOME bulk pen... They sell them at staples and office max by the case...

Uni-ball

For "fancy" ballpoint pens... Nothing beats a Mont Blanc Rollerball...

Mont Blanc

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  16. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I love watery ink!!! Im a big fountain pen fan... So I dont mind dry time... I just love the way the uniball glides on the page...

Assuming you use "normal" paper (as opposed to highly absorbant paper like news print or paper towels [​IMG] ) I find the dry time is under 1 second.

17. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Uni-balls, I think, are considered "roller-ball" type pens, as opposed to ball-points. Yes the ink flows more heavily than ballpoint, but they do smudge easier. And I've been using Pilot Precise Rolling ball pens at work, and if you mistreat them (drop them too often) they will spring small leaks that eventually well up w/ ink and then suddenly you've got colored fingertips! [​IMG]

As far as good ballpoints, I like the Dr. Grip series because I tend to squeeze the pen too hard when I write. These help ease the pain! [​IMG]

19. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I find that the gel-ink pens tend to smear, and they run out quickly! They also bleed through the page depending on paper used. That being said, they generally look much cooler [​IMG]