What's the Best 50" Plasma for 10K+-

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curt_Rowe, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Curt_Rowe

Curt_Rowe Auditioning

A dealer wants to sell me a 50" fujitsu PDS 5004. I saw an HD football game on the 5002 version he had and it was fantasic. It has 768x1366 resolution Is there any thing better in the same price range (9-10,000)or something just as good for less?

Thank for any suggestions

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Why do you want to pay $10K for a 50" plasma? Every single good 50" model can be had for between $5500 and $8500. Unless you must buy from B&M outlets, don't pay that much.

The leading contenders among the 50's are your PDS 5004, the Panasonic, and the Pioneer 503cmx.

Briefly:

The Fujitsu has excellent blacks and the best internal scaler. Overall, it probably has the best PQ by a nose. It has a DVI slot I believe, but it isn't functional for video. The panel is not upgradeable. Best price is around $8500 online, but be careful and make sure about the warranty if you buy Fujitsu online. This is one panel that you might buy B&M if you can get it for $9K or less.

The Panasonic also has excellent blacks and the second best internal scaler. Very close in overall PQ to the Fujitsu. It doesn't have DVI, but there's an upgrade slot. Unfortunately, the panel is functionally non-upgradeable as the DVI card doesn't work on this one either. It runs $7500 best online price.

The Pioneer has slightly inferior blacks to the Panasonic and Fujitsu and its scaler isn't quite the match either. However, color vibrancy is unparrelled on this panel. PQ is close to the other two, depending on the importance you place on black levels. This panel is totally upgradeable to DVI with HDCP and there are 2 cards availble, soon to be 4, with various input options, one with a superior scaler. It runs about $6K but can sometimes be had at Dell for $5500.

3. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

I personally like the Panasonic. It's black reproduction is superb, it's not badly priced and am sure they will offer a DVI upgrade soon.

4. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    FYI
    For under $3000 you could always snag a 42" Gateway plasma
    See it HERE
    Alfer

5. PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

The Gateway is not HDTV. It is EDTV --> 800x480.

Still, the price is quite remarkable if it is even
    comparable to the Sampo or Panasonic plasma EDTV.

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The Panasonic and Fuji have very comparable blacks because they use the same glass.

I wouldn't worry about the resolution of the Gateway panel. Surprisingly, low resolution PDP's can look great with HD. What concerns me more are the negative observations of people over at AVS who have demoed the unit in-store.