What's the best 42" Plasma Screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ainsley Bowden, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Ainsley Bowden

Ainsley Bowden Auditioning

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I figure that I could get some good opinions on what the best 42" Plasma Screen is as I'm looking to buy later in the year.

All information will be appreciated and it would be excellent if you could provide approximate prices too.

Also, what's a good place to buy digital TVs?

Thanks!

2. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

I saw a Runco Plasma with their PFP (Pixel for Pixel) scaler in a local A/V shop which looked *fantastic*. One's going on HTFS&T new for $8000 which is $5,000 less then the retail, so hurry!

Edit: Here's the link In Hardware for Sale and Trade

3. Ainsley Bowden

Ainsley Bowden Auditioning

Unfortunately, that's more than I'm looking to spend.

I guess I should have said, what's the best 42" Plasma for under $5,000?

Also, I'm not looking until later in the year. Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks!

4. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

I have the Panasonic 42" plasma display (SD, not HD). It runs about $3,000 online. Panasonic is known for its excellent black levels and I'm very happy with mine. Other quality 42" monitors are: Pioneer (43"), NEC, Fujitsu.

For the best plasma information on the web, go to www.avsforum.com. Nothing against this forum, but that forum has many more plasma users. It's where I did most of my plasma research.

Hope this helps.

5. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

The Panasonic TH42PW5UY (SD resolution) is probably the best buy in plasma screens, but the $3500 price it goes for is about as much as I could justify spending on this technology right now. I bought mine primarily because of space constraints in our temporary overseas housing and have been reasonably satisfied with its performance. But while the colors are very true and the black levels are decent (the pannys are among the best in this area), they are nowhere near that of CRT, and I could not imagine paying upwards of $5K for the dark gray "blacks" (that translate low light scenes into a grayish haze) that plasma delivers.

My two cents.

6. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

If you can hold out until next christmas you might find some big names down to 5000 like panasonic or hitachi. Right now i think the only HD plamsa at 5000 is the sampo, although the phillips keeps dropping in price as well.

7. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Panasonic!

I have the Panasonic TH-42PW5 and it it AWESOME!

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Just beware of burn in ... it may actually happen faster in plasma than on crt units.

I was calibrating a new Sony 42" XBR plasma unit on the weekend and 15 sec worth of a 100 ire window box pattern left a shadow on the screen that lingered for 5 minutes afterward. Scared me ...

If this was the potential impact with 15 sec. of a pattern ... I shudder to think what a few weeks of w/s DVD's would do to the TV at high contrast.

Regards

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

10. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Michael TLV,

I am quite familiar with plasmas (own a Panasonic myself, too) and I recently tested the Sony 42" XBR plasma. I was aghast at it's image retention! Fifteen minutes of playing a 2:35:1 movie and it retained the letterbox image for a seriously long time. I have never before seen that in a plasma. I have never once seen that kind of behaviour with my plasma, or any other...the Sony is a real anomaly in my experience.

(Not that plasmas, or RPTVs, are not susceptible to burn in without proper care. I find my plasma, owned for over ten months, shows no burn in whatsoever despite my watching many, many 2:35:1 films, and my wife's proclivity for watching stations with heavy logos).

11. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

The Toshiba 42HP82 gets some good comments. Re-badged NEC I believe. It can be found just under 5k.

12. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Sonys tend to have horrible black levels and contrast.

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

14. TimHON

TimHON Agent

Pick up a copy of this months Home Theater magazine. They compare ten 42" screens.