What's new

What's the aspect ratio on the current "CLOCKWORK ORANGE" dvd? (1 Viewer)

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
I have the laserdisc and the first dvd release of this film. Both versions are letterboxed at around 1.55:1. IFC has been showing "A CLOCKWORK ORANGE" lately and it's a slightly wider version, somewhere around 1.66:1, with a little more picture information at the sides than the laser and dvd versions I have. Is the re-released "CLOCKWORK ORANGE" dvd in the same aspect ratio as the IFC version
or is it just like the others? If the newer dvd is truly 1.66:1 it would merit an instant re-buy.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm pretty sure the newest DVD is 1.66:1 or very close.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I don't EVEN want to use the words Kubrick and aspect ratio in the same sentence! ;) But I will say that the remastered Clockwork dvd is a considerable improvement, picture and soundwise, over the previous release...more than enough to merit a re-buy in itself, imo.

JoN

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Which version are you guys talking about? The 2000 re-master DVD with 5.1? Or the 2 disc one, which I know nothing about?
The 2 disc edition has exactly the same movie disc as the remastered edition. The second disc contains the original soundtrack on a CD.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I used a cursor to measure the latest R1 DVD[geek alarms blaring all over the forum], and it was 1.66:1 almost on the dot, as was Lolita. IIRC, Barry Lyndon was something like 1.54:1.

Regards,

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
How can you tell the difference between the original DVD and the remaster? Is the cover different, or should I check the aspect ratio on the back of the box? A Clockwork Orange is on top of my list of favorite movies I don't own the DVD of because I heard it was a lousy disc. I didn't even know they re-released it.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
The remaster will say "DIGITALLY RESTORED AND REMASTERED" across the front under the words "STANLEY KUBRICK COLLECTION".

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yet another 1.66:1 WB title that's not 16x9 encoded (which adds resolution for 1.66:1 titles vs 4x3 encoding)

grrr.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It wouldn't have been a huge leap to make it 16:9 enhanced but they still would have had to cut a small bit of the proper framing to accomplish it, right?

They could have window-boxed it I suppose.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It wouldn't have been a huge leap to make it 16:9 enhanced but they still would have had to cut a small bit of the proper framing to accomplish it, right?
Nothing would have to be cropped. 1.66:1 anamorphic has black bars on the sides of the image, as you suggest.

DJ

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The trade-off with 16:9 enhancement and windowboxing of 1.66:1 films is pretty slight for 4:3 TV viewers. It starts to become more severe when you are dealing with aspect ratios less than 1.60:1, though.

Regards,

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Why can't a full 1:33 AR be anamorphic?
What's the point?

You would be losing resolution.

[Edit] It theoretically can be 4:3 anamorphic though, and Anchor Bay tends to this with 4:3 behind the scenes documantaries (and stuff like that). The thought behind this seems to me that (widescreen) movieclips that are in these documentaries can be shown "properly" on 16:9 sets this way, instead of looking window-boxed.

Sorry, can't really explain it properly in English :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks