What's the advantage of putting the receiver at the bottom of the rack?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HienD, Dec 23, 2003.

1. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I just read the "how to hook up your receiver" thread. I have this Lovan rack. My rack has three 7" frames and one 10" frame. Besides some dust prevention and strain relief from hanging cables/wires, what other benefit is there to having the receiver at the bottom? I have speaker wires group together and tied them to the back frame of the stand. I also did this with the heavier video and audio cables.

The receiver is on the top of the audio rack right now but I'm thinking of moving it to the bottom frame with the 10" frame above it. This will only give me 3.5" of space above the receiver for ventilation. Onkyo recommends 8". Will this be enough space considering it an open rack design? My receiver only get warm cause I don't listen at very loud volumes.

BTW: I have a Onkyo sr600 receiver. Thanks

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Since your receiver is usually your heaviest component, placing that weight at the bottom of the rack will make things more stable. However, since the amps in the receiver will generate hot air (which rises), you will be sending that hot air up through your other components, which is not a good idea.

My Pioneer Elite 47TX runs pretty warm, so I placed in at the top of my rack to give it additional ventilation and keep that warm air away from my other components. This out-weighed the concern over making the rack more top-heavy.

Previously, my old Sony DA50ES receiver was in the bottom of the rack. It ran very cool, and the unit was smaller so it received enough ventilation at the bottom of the rack.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

These are all small things, and it is not 'wrong' to put the reciever on a upper shelf. But here are at least 4 good reasons for putting the receiver on the bottom:
    • Speaker wires flow naturally away from other wires (Speaker wires carry power. You dont want these bundled with interconnects or power cords if you can avoid it.)
    • Speaker wires dont obscure the back of the other components allowing easier hookup
    • Reduces strain on the connections.
    • Rack Stability (as has been mentioned)
    • Better ergonomics. Why put something at chest-height that you never really touch to use?

With a open-side rack, I think the 3.5 inches of vent space above the receiver is fine. But watch a movie and then go up and feel the top of the receiver.

4. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

I have the reciever in the middle. This way, the DVD player and cable box are on the upper racks (mostly used) and the VCR at the bottom (rarely used)
    Also, in terms of wire management, have the receiver in the middle shelf makes things easier instead of bundling all the cables upward or downward.

5. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

You only need 8" above the receiver if it is sitting on a solid shelf. When a receiver is on a solid shelf it has very little air flow from below. So having a large opening on top improves air circulation. However, if it's sitting on an open shelf, then there's plenty of air circulation on the bottom and thus a smaller opening on top is needed.
    Placing the receiver on top is not always the best solution when using open shelf design because the receiver will get all the warm air put out by all the other equipment below it. A better solution is to put the receiver on the bottom and a piece of glass or wood on the bottom of the shelve directly above. This will allow the receiver to get plenty of cool air from below and shield the other equipment above.

6. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all. I think I'll move the receiver to the bottom shelf of the rack. For the top shelf, might get a mini cd holder to store currently listening to cds that is taking up a shelf right now.