What's that red putty?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TimForman, Mar 23, 2004.

1. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I've been told of a red putty that professional painters use. Does anyone know exactly what it is? Do you have a brand name?

2. Richard Favreau

Not sure if it is the same product but we use a red glazing putty to repair blemishes prior to electrostatically painting elevator doors and frames. Don't remember the brand but it is available at auto supply stores. Very smooth and dries quickly.

Hope this helps

Rick Favreau

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

bondo ?

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I'm going to try a tube of Bondo Spot Putty for blemishes in MDF. I like the idea of using glazing putty too. I might try that too. Most people I've asked say the red stuff is Bondo but the ABS variety.

5. Doug_M_Fraser

The red filler is used in automotive body repair. The stuff I have is made by 3M and I picked it up at my local automotive parts jobber. The good thing about using automotive body repair products for filling wood is that they retain some flexibility when dry. This is good when one considers natural wood movement. However if used on MDF there should be very little wood movement - however it doesn't hurt.

The red stuff is solvent based and drys in about 10 or 15 mins (if it is not applied to thick). It also sand very well. I find bondo good for bigger gaps but requires longer to dry.

Doug