What's new

Whats so great about SuperBits? (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
everyone is intitled to thier opinion
This is a common misconception. People simply have opinions, whether or not they have a proper basis for them.
Some say that one has a right [or is entitled] to an informed opinion, but having information does necessarily mean that one understands or acknowledges it.
//Ken

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Well, maybe not all of us owned these titles before. I bought Desperado, T5E, & CTHD when they were released as Superbits.
I can't comment on the video as I have no original titles for comparison and I'm using a non-flat 32" crt. However, the DTS tracks are the loudest I've ever heard. Superbits are the only titles so far that I can't bear to listen to at reference levels.
I can feel his pain though. Every time Chevy redesigns the Silverado I just HAVE to go buy another one. They're just out to rape me and take my money. I wish I just had the option of NOT buying one for a change. *Sigh*
~Crowe~

DarrenA

Second Unit
...I think alot of people are stupid to buy a SuperBit title because the picture or sound or both is better...
I don't know you personally Scott, so I can only surmise that you've had a bad day. But without resorting to calling you "stupid", I will say that you have without a doubt made yourself look very foolish in this thread. Next time get the facts, make your own comparisons and then let's hear your opinion without the derogatory remarks.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

RicP

Screenwriter
You know what Scott, you're right. If I were you I would not spend $20 on a Superbit title. Judging by your last post, I would take that $20 and buy a grammar guide and a spell checker.
tongue.gif

------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's
[Edited last by RicP on November 09, 2001 at 09:48 PM]

Robert George

Screenwriter
...so what if the picture is alittle better why would I want to spend another 20 on a title I already have...
If you have to ask the question, you will never understand the answer.
In the land of home theater, there are collectors and there are consumers. I think we know which one Scott is.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
John,
The Dts track on "Air Force One" was outstanding and although the dd 5.1 track was impressive I found the dts track to be just a little more "agresssive" than the 5.1 where it counted. I am also a movie fan who does not go so much for features as I do for Quality of Sound and Picture. IMHO Superbits Stand out on both counts. Also it's a good thing we're all not the same otherwise life would be pretty boring don't you think?
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sadly the one REAL point being made against SuperBits is lost in the shuffle.
Neil, I was not aware that some/all of these SuperBit titles were not using the entire storage space. Can someone please expound on this? Which titles, how much space was left? I know most people would really like to get a full rate DTS at least.
BTW, considering the number of foggy and dark scenes on Dracula, I am especially hopeful for SBits to improve it.
Also, where in the heck is Bjoern with his 5th Element screen caps. That was the clincher for me. No "on the fly" guessing at improvements where you could fool yourself, but rather side by side "look, here is a difference" comparisons of still frames. Of course, that doesn't necessarily show off the MPEG improvements (due to motion being part of the MPEG compression technique), but it is enough to convince anyway.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Seth:
The greater problem with full bitrate DTS is not one of total space used, but of bandwidth allocation. A disc that uses a 1536 kb/s DTS track along with a 448 kb/s DD track, then add a few subtitle tracks, allows less than 8 mb/s headroom for the video. There are instances when that is not sufficient for maximum possible quality.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
RicP, nice comment! Although, for $0 you can get grammar and spell checker online and still spend the $20 on the Superbit that the poster hate
laugh.gif

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Anal said:
We got your point in the first post, no need to making the same point at least 4 times in one paragraph. Calling us 'ridiculous', 'stupid' and 'crazy' doesn't help either.
The choice of words and lack of an open mind in your posts doesn't need to be commented any further.
If you just wanted to troll around or make a fool out of yourself, congratulations. Mission accomplished.
Btw. When i rebuy one of those titles, i sell my old copy on Ebay, so i only pay around 5$ for the upgrade, not 'another 20'. At the level of equipment i use, you would be glad to achieve a similar improvement with 5-10k$. So the 'ridiculous', 'stupid' and 'crazy' idiot in me dares to think that 5$ could be called a bargain. How pathetic!
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Bjoern's Place (my HT in action, DVD reviews, SPL measurements...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Why should I spend another 20 bucks on a title that is alittle better in picture if I already have it, same with when they release movies bare bone then spend more money on the Special Edition, they are raping us of our money...
I agree 100%. I mean, here I was with dozens of VHS movies, and then they come out with this DVD format. We all know they had DVDs back in the 70's but were waiting to release them until after we gobbled up VHS tapes. It's all a conspiracy to get us to buy the same movies over and over again.
rolleyes.gif

The worst part was when the studios themselves broke into my house and performed lewd acts upon me until I broke down and replaced all of my movies with their new "superior" format...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I , for one , Love my SuperBit Fifth Element disk . I sold my old copy on ebay
for a 6.00 loss and love the new resolution and sound .
For me , it was about a film I'll watch many times over the years , and I want
the best possible experience . I don't see any thing wrong with going for a little
finer presentation .
Some people are willing to pay for Prime Beef , and some are not .
`Thank you for your cooperation - have a nice day '
Eric

BobMcD

Auditioning
I just bought the SuperBit 5-pack at Costco for $80. Already owned Fifth Element and Air Force One on LaserDisc, and CTHD on DVD.

All I can say is WOW! Outstanding picture and sound! Yes, I'm very glad I spent the $16/movie to get state-of-the-art transfers. After spending a lot of money for a decent home theater, the media costs are trivial. These are demo-quality versions of all five films. I WILL be buying the forthcoming SuperBit movies.

Footnote: I'll be keeping my old version of CTHD for the extras. There are NO extras on the SuperBit versions. I happen to enjoy the extras as well as the best transfer available. Guess I'll buy both versions of some new movies.

RicP

Screenwriter
I grabbed Dracula and Gattaca yesterday and has a chance to sample them.
Gattaca looks a lot better than Dracula does. but there are some scenes in Dracula that look astounding. I'd estimate that the video portion looks around 5% or so better than the previous early release of Dracula that I had.
The dts track though is phenomenal. Outstanding clarity and separation, a very immersive track...this alone was worth the upgrade to the Superbit version.
Gattaca sounds great as well, though a less aggressive soundtrack than Dracula, but the picture on Gattaca Superbit rivals Fifth Element as the best on eI've seen so far. I don't have the Desperado Superbit, although that is supposed to be a fantastic transfer as well.
I'm all for the Superbit titles. I have 5 now and each one was worth the upgrade from the original disc. :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I did my own little comparison for 5th Element between two fully calibrated sets sitting right next to each other. The two sets were a 47" and a 61" set.

To my amusement, when the SB -FE was played back on the 61" versus the Normal FE on the 47" set, the 61" set looked better than the 47".

Of course the smaller set should always look better than the larger set when the playing field is level like it was here.

Regards

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Buy VHS, skip DTS, and you will be happy!
Of coarse the movie industry is just out to get your money, that hold's true for whatever the format. They are in business, if it's a ticket, Beta, VHS, LD, or DVD. They want your money!
Now, why are you going to give it to them? Is it for the content? I certainly hope so! And now, what is the quality of that content, that you are looking for or willing to pay for?
It's up to you.
Just please don't put down people that are attemping to capture the finest possible version of that content. Not only so you don't appear rude or uneducated, but for the simple reason of the tickledown theory. Every time a nut [I can say that because I am one of them] pay's more for a title that's only 2% better at best, you benefit. For that forces every studio to raise it's standards to capture more of the nuts money. Get it?

RobR

Second Unit
Are they going to release "great" movies on Superbits? None of the Superbit titles so far are exactly critically-acclaimed, if you know what I mean.

Also, are the Superbit titles limited to Columbia/Tristar?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks