Whats so great about SuperBits?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Nov 9, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

What the hell is so great about SuperBits, all it is, is another ploy to get people to buy more DVD's its bullshit.. Can anyone shed light on this. I have never seen a SuperBit tittle are they that better

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Scott, you've been here long enough to not be trolling like this.
    How about ASKING if it's bullshit, which is what it seemed that you wanted to do, rather than just telling everyone in an inflammatory manner. Just makes for better conversation.
    As to your answer, I've not looked yet to see if the thread is still available, but I believe it was super-videophile Bjorn Roy (sorry if I'm wrong here) that posted many screen caps between the 2 versions of 5th Element. The difference was very noticable when examined closely.
    However, many of us agreed that you must keep your system's limitations in mind as well. If you have a high-end video or audio system you should expect to detect the differences (especially on large front-projection).
    The discs are not BS, they really are spending more bits on audio/video content and there is increased resolution thanks to this.
    Consider your system and your desires and make a choice. For example, I did not rebuy CTHD or Air Force One. I've considered CTHD, but I'm not ready to spend the money on it. I did finally buy 5th Element for the first time as a Superbit. For films that I don't care as much about extras, I would go with a Superbit. I've held off on Dracula and I'm exited that it's coming as a Superbit (I already have the Criterion LD with tons of extras).
    In fact, I think it would be great if we always had a choice between Superbit or Extras, as some films I just want to see the film. The studios don't want to spend the money to give us those options (understandably), but it would be nice.
    ------------------
    Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
    The Warrior of the Wasteland!
    The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    If this helps, I did a back to back comparison of both the orginal release of Air Force One, and the new Superbit version on a properly calibrated Sony VVEGA with the 16x9 option engaged, and I was very hard pressed to see a dramatic difference between them, and believe me I REALLY tried.
    So what's so great about Superbits? Nothing IMHO.
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Wow, this is a new one...
    A poster actually thread-farted his own thread! [​IMG]
    What could we possibly say to you scott that would pry open that closed mind of yours? Here's a solution...don't buy them, and don't complain about them until you actually try them.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's

6. scott_tinari

Sorry about the inflammatory word. LOL. I just think that movie studios are cashing in on these supposedly new and improved DVD's and they are not that much different, would anyone agree with this statement. Why should I spend another 20 bucks on a title that is alittle better in picture if I already have it, same with when they release movies bare bone then spend more money on the Special Edition, they are raping us of our money...

7. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

YMMV, apparently. I also checked the old vs. new Air Force One myself on a 65" Toshiba widescreen TV, ISF calibrated, and found the differences in the picture to be quite clear indeed. One of the best places to check is in the early scene where Harrison Ford is addressing a dinner crowd. On the old AF1, the faces in the crowd are muddy and indistinct. On the Superbit, a great deal of clarity in these faces is gained. Textures in fabric are significantly clearer, as are skin textures. The ringing is also much reduced, though it is occasionally still visible.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

9. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

As with the DD vs DTS debate, some people hear a difference and others do not. With Superbit, I can clearly see a difference. The new Fifth Element:SB DVD has indeed improved on the original reference quality version. First off it has less Edge Enhancement, more detail, less noise in the dark areas, and a sharper picture with even more vivid colors than the original.
    Also, the Desperado:SB DVD came from a completely new Hi-Def transfer and it looks considerably better than the original version.
    Oh, and the Superbit titles have seamless layer changes and DTS 5.1 soundtracks to boot.
    "What's so great about Superbit"
    Well...everything! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater
    [Edited last by DarrenA on November 09, 2001 at 11:45 AM]

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

SCOTT,
    "What the hell is so great about SuperBits, all it is, is another ploy to get people to buy more DVD's its bullshit..."
    I am curious,when is the last time that you see COLUMBIA TRISTAR HOME VIDEO release movie discs that are not made by AMBLIN ENTERTAINMENT?
    I did not see any,until CTHV pushed out SUPERBIT titles...
    "I just think that movie studios are cashing in on these supposedly new and improved DVD's and they are not that much different, would anyone agree with this statement..."
    Not all studios are doing what you are thinking,one very good example is FOX.
    [Edited last by YANG on November 09, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

11. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

If this is COLUMBIA's way of reissuing first generation titles with less compressed audio and video, I welcome them.
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    In many cases, the perceived differences between superbit and the older releases is very minimal. I do not have a problem with Columbia releasing superbit. I picked up The Fifth Element because the older DVD had no extras as with this one. Since it is a real demo DVD, even a little improvement is worth it for me. I cannot say the same when it comes to some of the other titles that have no extras but yet their perceived improvement is only very slight and all the extras are lost. Just my choice anyway, as I said, I have no problem with Superbit in general but...
    That being said, I have a real problem with the titles being superbit but still having unused space on the DVD's. A superbit title should have all the space used, there should be no space left at all. Also, the unused space could have been used to provide us with full bitrate dts instead of half bitrate dts. I have a real problem with this, the fact that the space was not used as it should have been for a title that is supposedly superbit. If the space is there, use it!!!
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

13. scott_tinari

Well then by all means waste your money. I just think people on here are being alittle to rediculous on these SuperBit DVD's so what if the picture is alittle better why would I want to spend another 20 on a title I already have, I know I dont have to but I think alot of people are stupid to buy a SuperBit tittle because the picture or sound or both is better, I just think thats rediculous but thats my opinion and everyone is intitled to thier opinion. Why should I buy Airforce One twice just because the Superbit tittle is alittle better in picture thats just crazy I think. Oh well good luck all LOL

14. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Scott,
    We feel your pain. :^)
    BOK

15. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

I think someone is being "alittle" "rediculous" throughout this thread.
    I am not one to repurchase titles, so I probably would not buy any title I already had over again. Just the way I am. When it comes down to it... I watch the extras once and the movies often, so to me I would purchase the superbit titles without question, if given the choice.
    The best thing about superbit is it finally kicked me in the ass and got me to purchase "5th element" which is THE DVD I saw demoed in a stereo store that made me buy my player to begin with. A friend has the old release and I used to borrow it.... No More!
    ------------------
    Doug Wright
    "I'm packing you an extra pair of shoes and your ANGRY eyes."
    [Edited last by DougWright on November 09, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

16. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm a bit curious why Superbits is being applied to some transfers which are already good (why not make them even better, I guess). With that being said, I'm curious how Dracula and The Patriot (if it ever comes) will look in comparison. The Patriot looks very good already, so I'm curious how much better it can be.

18. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Being a DTS fan and not having a few of these titles, I picked up 5th Element and Desperado and love 'em. They sound great and look excellent. I probably won't replace Patriot or any other title I already have with Superbit versions but will welcome other Superbit titles with an open wallet.

19. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

I like what Sony has done with the Superbit audio on both the DD and dts tracks.
    There is an added depth and detail to the mids and highs that sound sweet to the ears.
    All I know is that Sony Superbit with a Sony DVP-S9000ES and Sony TA-E9000ES is a winning combination.

20. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Needless to say no studio I know make great dvds for the love of the game. They are in for the money as is expected, this is business. if they are thinking about a better quality presentation for the public, They should bring out the SuperBits and special loaded versions at the same time so that we can "really decide"......let me think...Maybe not.---