What's new

What's so good about Panny RP91? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen alot of references here about Panasonics RP91 DVD.
I'm curious as to why everyone likes it. Does it have the newer(Non-Genesis) chipset.
I'm looking for a second DVD player (progressive) and maybe I should look at this one.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jake T

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
If you do a search on RP91 on this forum you will find dozens of posts covering what's so good about this player.
(It has the Genesis chipset).
------------------

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
It's scaling of non anamorphic dvds for 16x9 TVs is priceless! Additionally it will give you a better picture than any of the consumer priced prog players (9000Es included). They seemed to have made some adjustments to the genesys chip to perform better. Nice look and build of the unit as well.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
quote: I'm curious as to why everyone likes it. [/quote]
Ten reasons why I like my RP91:
10. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
9. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
8. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
7. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
6. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
5. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
4. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
3. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
2. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
1. Scaling of non-anamorphic discs.
If you have a 16:9 display, there are no alternatives.
-Brett
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD's
[Edited last by Brett Glasscock on July 24, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it for the blue light. No other DVD player has it. Period.
cool.gif

Definitely scaling, dvd-audio capability, overall audio performance, build quality and price factored in to my purchase.
I do agree, if you have a HD monitor that locks in full mode, it is hands down the best option for the $$.
Scott

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
quote: I bought it for the blue light. No other DVD player has it. Period. [/quote]
Well, that's not counting the Playstation 2, but that's more of a software player than a true hardware solution...
Anyway, the Panasonic looks like a very good all 'round versatile disc player:
DVD
DVD-Audio
DVD-Ram
CDR/RW
MP3
Then there's progressive scan and built-in DD & DTS decoders for perfect upgradability, at least in my system. I may wait for the RP61 though, as DVD-Ram isn't a key issue for me.
For those of you who have this unit, can you tell me how well anamorphic downconversion is on this unit? Is it jagged & sharp, or smooth & soft? (I prefer the latter).
Also, I read in the online manual that it doesn't support random or program modes when playing MP3 discs. Sigh... what good is an MP3 player without random? Any way around this?
Thanks,
Ryan
[Edited last by Ryan Patterson on July 24, 2001 at 02:35 PM]
[Edited last by Ryan Patterson on July 24, 2001 at 02:38 PM]

Chip E

Screenwriter
"I bought it for the blue light. No other DVD player has it. Period"
Scott, your wrong, period, lol. My Sony S9000ES dvd player has a blue light on the front.
- Chip :)
------------------

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brett, great minds think a like, here's a reply of mine from AVS 06-30-2001.

DevoX and hdtvguy: If my CD's sound better with the RP91 said:
Jake T, yes the SI503 and Sage de-interlace better, but to tell you the truth for the most part I am oblivious to it because of the gorgeous pictures. Yes there are better audio transports then the RP91, but my NAXOS classical DTS&DD5.1 DVD-Video discs have taken on a new life.

Yes the RP91 has shortcomings with MP3 play, but yet has played every CD-R and CD-RW I have fed it.

This is the SWISS ARMY KNIFE of DVD players.

------------------

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
How do guys you think the RP91 compares to something like the Toshiba 9200. (I currently have a Toshiba 6200)?
Jake T

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"If you have a 16:9 display, there are no alternatives."
Unless, of course, you don't watch non-anamorphic discs.
Also, my Denon has a blue light :)
There are other great DVD players on the market as well. The 9200 is good, the Denon 2800, Sony's new line of affordable SACD players....etc.
Go check out your local shops.
Jeremy

David Susilo

Screenwriter
"I bought it for the blue light. No other DVD player has it. Period"
Scott, your wrong, period, lol. My Pioneer DV-05 dvd player has a blue light on the front.
Although I haven't bought mine, I think Brett Glasscock's reason no. 3 is a valid one!
LOL
cool.gif

ReggieW

Screenwriter
My JVC 721BK has a blue-light in front as well! It also is progressive scan with DVD-Audio capability and does the 4:3 to 16:9 trick.
RC

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Seems everything over $500 has a blue light! :) Well I'm in the market for a progressive scan player as well. It comes down to the Denon 2800, tosh 6200 and I guess the pana rp-91. But I have to say most of my DVDs are anamorphic, I didn't know so many people would buy a player because of their non-anamorphic discs. Do you guys really have that many?

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Well call me ignorant because I am still somewhat new to HT but what is this "Blue Light" everyone is talking about?
Jake T

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Would the panny show an advantage over a Toshiba 2109 witha Sony 36XBR400? I have read a regular interlaced player looks just as good on that particular set. Does somebody know different?
------------------

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
WE would never do that Jake. Blue Light is the name of a Canadian beer ..................oops wrong forum BUD.
The blue light is the indicator on the front of the RP91's panel that indicates you are in Progressive Output Mode. I actually find it distracting after awhile and have it Auto turn off in the Menu.
Also since it is using a Panasonic MPEG decoder, you won't find the chroma upsampling bug like with some of the other MPEG decoders.
Go to a store and check it out. There must be a few left I would think :)
------------------

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
When watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 set are the side bars gray or black?
I have the same question, the scaling feature is very nice, but how do native 1.33 discs look on 16:9 sets? Is there scaling on full-frame material?
Chad
[Edited last by Chad Gregory on July 24, 2001 at 11:23 PM]

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Guys,
It's of course too late for you that already own the RP91, but just recently there's another player out that believe it or not looks like it may beat the RP91 in image sizing.
The Malata DVD-N966 uses the chroma-bug-free Mediamatics all in one integrated chip and retails for around $380.
But here's the amazing part - from what the specs and early users are saying, it looks like it scales the "ultimate way". It has several very small-step zooms that maintain aspect ratio so you can make the image larger and larger to any size you like - PLUS - you can if you wish independently adjust the X (horizontal) or Y (vertical) image dimensions - just like in computer paint programs! The RP91 and no other player does separate X-Y adjustment.
This all can be done in the progressive mode. What this also brings to the ball game is the ability to zoom anamorphic DVD's a little bit to reduce or eliminate the upper/lower black bars by slight side-cropping. Again, the RP91 and no other player does this.
This great image scaling is built into the Mediamatics chip if manufacturers choose to exploit it's capabilities. The JVC 723 and HK D-50 use this chip, but don't have all the scaling modes activated in their designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks