What's new

What's so good about a SVS??? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I keep seeing threads about the SVS. Well, what's so good about those subs? I went to their site and they LOOK nice, but I want to hear it from you people - what's up with those things?

Clark Rozier

Agent
Mike
A better question would be... what isn't so good about them?
In my opinion, they have the complete package.
  • Excellent product.
  • Reasonable prices (they cover several price points)
  • Excellent customer service BIG PLUS
  • No BS ie straight shooters all the way
What more can you expect from any company?
Plain and simple, if you want kick-ass bass at a reasonable price with great customer service, you'd better check out SVS!
Clark

J

John Morris

SV Subwoofers:
- Low
- Loud
- Clear
- Customer Service
- Cost Effective
'Nuf Said!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
You can read my thoughts on the 16-46 Link Removed
In short: exceptionally good product and a price/performance ratio that is among the best out there.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

BryanZ

Screenwriter
They are an affordable, exceptional product with excellent customer service that is second to none.
Just yesterday I was listening to the 1812 Ovature (Telarc version). With the sub (20-39CS for me) you could hear the placment of the cannons as they were firing off in the distance.
The sub didn't draw attention to itself other than to offer that low, clean bass that we so love. You know it is there and its presence is seen and felt. However, it had no boomy bass whatsoever.
It goes very low with authority. A search may turn up why these subs are gems.
One of the other things that turned me onto SVS was that I have seen Tom and Ron recommend other subs to people. They have also helped (and continue to do so) people build their own subs.
SVS has and will set a new standard for subs and customer service. Too bad other companies out there do not follow their example.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Objectively these speakers measure up very well. Tom Nousaine recently tested one of them.
Subjectively, an in home trial would cost you just the return shipping .. try it out yourself in your own environment with your own equipment to find out.. even do a shootout with other subs you like. There is no substitute for an in home demo.. not even hundreds of testimonials cuz speaker selection is highly subjective.
That said, when very discerning and knowledgable people commend a product, it's usually not just hype.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
What's funny is I've been away from the forum for a while and yet, I'm seeing the same questions returning over and over that have been posted over the last year to couple of years (similar to storylines in a soap opera...you can miss a couple of months of story and the characters and storylines have never changed)....
How to hook up a bass shaker?
How to hide speaker wire?
How good are Bose?
Tell me about SVsubwoofers? (of course followed by the following threads... "I ordered an Svsubwoofer", followed by "how long will it take to get my subwoofer", followed lastly by "I got my subwoofer").
yada, yada, yada
wink.gif

I'm not trying to say those aren't legitimate questions, but that's why they have the search feature. I never posted a question, unless I've run it through a search first...and you know what, in most cases it's already been answered.
Sorry for the rant, but have looked for an opportunity to say this
Ron Boster
[Edited last by Ron Boster on August 13, 2001 at 10:25 AM]

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
as an exercise in your spare time take such posts out and see what's left of the forum....... let them ask my friend
laugh.gif

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

J

John Morris

Ron: Although fundamentally I agree with you, if you try a search on HTF most of the time(like now for example) you are gonna see this:
Sorry, this function is momentarily unavailable due to high server load. Please try again later.
Later usually means after midnight or before 8am. That's why even I, occasionally, post a question which I know has been asked and answered. That's also why I usually don't mind giving the same answer to multiple folks, at different times.
Maybe someday, Ron and Packy will be on a system which will allow searches all the time, but for now, repeated questions and answers are a reality we have to live with...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
John:
I wasn't aware of that change (I haven't been trolling the forum consistently over the last 6 months....by the way we moved from Houston to Kansas City....looks like I also took the Houston weather with me). Since the search function is limited, I see your point.
John-D:
So true, so true.
Ron

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I just replaced a $1500 Sunfire sub with a $549 16-46CS. Do note that the Sunfire was powered, while the SVS is passive, but I'm powering it just fine with one side of a 10-year-old Technics receiver that was lying around.
The SVS blows the Sunfire away, but I do need to offer one qualification. When I was getting the Sunfire ready to photograph for eBay, I noticed that the surround had separated from the driver cone all the way around. I don't know how long it had been that way, but obviously it could not have been working properly.
Even more frustrating is the fact that a $1500 sub that was always played on a level of 2-3 (on a 10-point scale) only provided 2.5 years (or maybe much, much less) of service before a massive failure. Warranty? 2 years. I sent it to Sunfire, along with a politely written letter addressed to Bob Carver himself, expressing my unhappiness with the situation and asking that the unit be repaired at no charge. I got a call a few days later from someone at Sunfire, saying that if I'd fax 'em my purchase receipt they'd go ahead and get it taken care of for me. They called back about a week later with a different tune. They decided I'd have to pay $165 for repairs. I balked and was told that they had discussed my situation with the service manager. He said that if it had been out of warranty by six months they would've fixed it free of charge. Since it was out by seven months, out of luck. It just re-arrived on UPS today. I'm not through contesting.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks