What's so bad about the Lithitech engine?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I've got a few friends who are much more heavily into gaming than me, and every time I mention Aliens vs. Predator 2 they scoff. They complain that the Lititech engine is useless. Any new game coming out that uses it is automatically crap to them! So my question to you hardcore gamers is, what's wrong with it? I thought AVP2 looked absolutely awesome. I love the atmosphere and gameplay of that game. I hope AVP3 (just confirmed) uses a modified version of Lith, because it really seems well suited to the AVP universe.

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i personally dont think there is anything wrong with it. I really liked the first lithtech engine. sure, the people in the SHOGO kinda looked a strange anime type look, but I suspect that was the point (SHOGO is a kinda anime/mech game)
    i havent really played too many games that use the LithTech 2 engine, but I do recall playing 1 particular game recently that used it. I thought it was cool.
    maybe theyve had issues in the past with compatibility etc, and they have just been scarred! [​IMG]

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Your friends are knobs because scoffing LithTech means scoffing No One Lives Forever. Me and Mr. T both pity the fools who scoff NOLF, one of the most enjoyable FPS games on the PC in ages.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I've had nothing but good experiences with the LithTech engine.

My first LithTech game was Shogo which was wonderful. Nice, fast and smooth. Also a great game and one of the better in the genre, IMHO.

Then I played Blood 2. This one needed a bit more tweaking, but not much - and then it was just as good as Shogo.

I haven't played it all the way through, but No One Lives Forever looks to be another solid offering based on LithTech.

Not quite sure why your friends don't like it - but I think that opinion is unfounded.

/Jeff

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

When NOLF was released, the Lithtech engine was pretty inefficient compared to other FPS engines. It was very competent and capable, but required more horsepower and returned lower quality results than competing engines. So you could end up enjoying the high framerates and graphical splendor of the Quake/Unreal engines, but Lithtech engine would pale in comparison.

It was great for Shogo though, and the latest iteration looks really promising.

-Dave

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

The other complaint was the engine was difficult to work with, especially the editor.

7. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I liked Shogo, but Blood 2, which came out around the same time (I think?) was just awful.
    The problem with the Lithtech engine in my opinion is there is just something, well, flimsy and cartoonish about the way it looks. The Quake III engine creates a solid feeling to locations and charachters. Even the Quake II engine looks better when used well - as it was in Kingpin, still one of the best looking games in my opinion.
    Shogo was supposed to look slightly cartoonish, sure, but I get the same Saturday morning feel in NOLF and Aliens Vs Predator II. I feel like I'm looking at a cartoon, which for a supposedly scary game like Aliens, is a big no-no.

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

NOLF2 is going to rock! I think a lot of people laughed at the Lithtech engine when they started calling it a gaming OS....which made no sense at all.

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    "Things aren't going to get all weird now, are they?"
    -Dave

11. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

My biggest gripe with the engine is the net code. Both NOLF and AVP2 were so laggy online it hurt (which is too bad, because AVP2 was a lot of fun when you weren't lagged out).

12. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I think a lot of people, myself included, don't care for the Lithtec Engine because of stability problems. I have Blood2, Shogo and had NOLF. I returned NOLF because it would just not run properly on my setup(mainly my Nvidia vid card). If I recall correctly most NOLF boards were flooded with Nvidia owners that could not get it to run properly or at all. I had similar troubles with Blood2 and Shogo.

I've never had such problems with Quake and Unreal engine powered games, only Lithtec. It sucks too because I realy liked NOLF.

13. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor