What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
George Seaton’s What’s So Bad About Feeling Good? is an entertaining satirical comic fantasy that has been unfairly neglected for many decades.

What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968)

Released: 31 Jul 1968
Rated: N/A
Runtime: 94 min

Director: George Seaton
Genre: Comedy

Cast: George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore, Don Stroud
Writer(s): Bill Danch, Vincent McHugh, Tedd Pierce

Plot: A new infection that simply makes people feel happy is treated as a threat by the authorities while its "victims" work to spread it to others.

IMDB rating: 6.6
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Thelma Ritter ? No idea she was in this or it was her final appearance.

Looks like a purchase.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Looking forward to getting to see this again. I may be way off base, but I always thought the “virus” in the movie was meant to be metaphor for recreational drug use.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
This would be a blind buy for me, but your review, Matt, has moved the needle into the "must purchase" category. Your reviews are always enjoyable reads.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I remember when they used to show it on local stations in the NY area a lot. Fun movie. Maybe the only movie(at least that I know of) that Michael Bennett worked on.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to getting to see this again. I may be way off base, but I always thought the “virus” in the movie was meant to be metaphor for recreational drug use.

You know. . . I never thought about it like that. You may have ruined the film for me. And here I just thought it was a fun, romantic comedy. If you're right I may have been supporting a subversive movie of intense corrupting evil and decadence.

--jthree

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Can't wait to see this. Just watched "Pick Up on South Street" in which Thelma Ritter steals the entire movie (and everyone's hearts).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Can't wait to see this. Just watched "Pick Up on South Street" in which Thelma Ritter steals the entire movie (and everyone's hearts).
Yep, she's absolutely funny and ultimately heartbreaking in Pickup on South Street. The Oscar should have been hers for that. Her few moments in this film serve as a nice coda for her career.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Amazon.com just canceled my order so I'm going through Kino directly.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I love that everyone can't wait to see this and that it's a must purchase. It was a huge bomb when it came out and anyone who saw it back then, including me, pretty much hated it. I watched it recently and it was as bad as I remembered. Glad the color seems fine.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The casting is no coincidence; Mary Tyler Moore was in a flop musical version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, and George Peppard, of course, was in the movie.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Someone on another site mentioned a scene appeared to be edited down, compared to what he remembered. This might be corroborated by the fact that the Kino run time 94 minutes is 2 minutes shorter than old TV broadcast copies. I have one from Comedy Central, but don't have the Kino yet for a direct comparison. The scene might have been trimmed for cinema, and uncut for TV (as famously done for JAWS).
To add more confusion, back in March, an Australian PAL dvd was listed on Amazon with 94 min. running time.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Great movie, great transfer. The commentary is terrible, one of the worst I've heard.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Ordered my copy from KL, I will order all KL discs from their site not sure what's going on with Amazon.
Anyway this was a blind buy for me enjoyed the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks