What's new

Whats should you look for went buying speakers wire (1 Viewer)

Amal

Grip
Hi all

Looking forward to Getting my speakers this weekend. However Lotsa issues about speaker cable. Any suggestion. By the way i have seen two core cables One core made up of 138 Strand Silver and the other 138 Strand Copper... Does anyone know why the Two types of conductors on one cable ??

Is this better to use. The gauge is 16

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Most people just use plain jane 12-gauge stranded copper wire. This is available readily and is very cheap.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If these two colors were on one run of speaker wire and looked kind of like this...

where the top looked copper and bottom looked silver, then what's been done is that the silver colored wire has been tinned. This is done to facilitate identification so that you don't miswire your system. Some manufacturers don't use this approach but instead label one leg of the insulation on the wire. It doesn't matter which way you go, but being able to readily identify which is positive and which is negative is useful.

As far as what to look for, the higher the strand count, the more flexible the wire is and the nicer it will lay where you put it. A sensible idea is to buy something like 50 or 100 feet of wire of the same gauge. 12 gauge is good. This will give you the benefits of a slightly lower price since you're buying in bulk.

Amal

Grip
Thanks everyone.. I ended up buying some Monster Cables at wholesale prices...Lukcy me i walked into the perfect shop..

well must admit i thought the Silver was for positive also beter conductor While the return path Copper for the earth..Anyway I spent whole day setting up...It sounds Awsome :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks