Whats Really The Difference Between These Sony 1080i Wegas?(aka To XBR or Not To XBR)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I'm looking at getting a new 36" Tube TV, but I want one that does HD for my videogames(XBox and GCN) and DVDs. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Sony Wega line, as I love my 27" Wega. Well I was wondering what is the difference between the KV-36HS20 and the KV-36XBR450? Do they use the same tube and processors? Any info would be great as I plan to pick one up soon.

2. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

I don't know if this will help, and I don't know the specs. (see my previous post labeled Don't Trust Sony Website), but I do know that the HS series is mostly sold in large retailers (like Best Buy and Circuit City) while the XBR's are usually sold at specialty audio/video retailers.

The prices are really close and maybe somebody can comment on the specs. I think that the consensus is that if prices are close, go with the XBR.

FYI, both of those models are being discontinued and replaced. I don't know what the HS model is, but the XBR is the KV-36XBR800.

You should either get a REALLY good deal on the older models or wait for the newer ones.

Also FYI, I have been quoted by two stores $1988 for the XBR new model when it comes in, so you can use that in your pricing determinations.

Good luck.

Scot

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

CC sells the XBR units. Best buy does NOT. BB has never sold the XBR. They are not the same unit, the XBR is much better. Go to BB and looks at the HS series, then go to CC and look at the XBR's, you will see a difference.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

What is the estimated date on the shipping of the XBR800? I can wait if it is due to come out sometime in the next two months.

5. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

I have estimates of between mid-July and mid-August. But, one never knows with Sony. Retailers just place their orders and wait.

6. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

The non XBR series (I believe) don't have Cinemotion. Meaning they don't do the reverse 3:2 pulldown. I also believe they don't automatically detect 16:9 aspect ratio. You have to change it manually.

Which even the XBR you have to do this for if it receives a 480p signal. It only auto detects for an interlaced signal.

Also the XBR has TruSurround. But I think the main difference is that the XBR does the reverse 3:2 pulldown.

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Is 3:2 pulldown just as important to have on a Tube based unit as it is on a CRT RPTV based one?

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Cinemotion will help a bit if you don't have a progressive scan player that has 3/2 pulldown, or have a non-progressive player.

Sony's new HS series sets, HS-500 and up will have cinemotion, unlike the current HS models. The 32 inchers are already showing up in stores, so the 36 inch versions can't be far behind.

9. GregY

GregY Stunt Coordinator

Some people say that the 3:2 pulldown on the Sony TV is better than some progressive DVD players. I've done it both ways on my Sony XBR and Sony 700NS DVD player. Didn't really notice the difference. Not really sure what I was looking for though.

10. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

I think the XBR may have a different power supply than the HS series... it just looks brighter and better to me. As far as the features go, the differences are (as some others have already mentioned), the built-in 3:2 pulldown, better internal sound package, auto 16:9 recognition, and nice shiny front on the cabinet. An implied but not specified difference is that the XBR is the TV in which Sony cuts no corners. At whatever size you are looking, the XBRs are Sony's top-of-the-line set.

The 3:2 pulldown on the XBR is definitely better than that found on some progressive DVD players, but that is only because some progressive DVD players look like dookie. Don't let the purchase of the XBR let you talk yourself into with a cheapo DVD player. Having the 3:2 pulldown in a DVD-player is ALWAYS preferrable when compared to leetting the TV do it. The XBR acutally tries to apply 3:2 pulldown to film-based images on live TV, not just to DVD, so it does tend to let regular TV look pretty good.

Typically these TVs can be cound for $200-300 difference, and at this price range I'd get the XBR. XBR has always been the badge for Sony's very best TV... you're getting the best version of TV from the best tube TV manufacturer out there. Going the the XBR should be a no-brainer for another 200 bucks.

11. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

So, if I don't have a progressive DVD player, should I set the TV to Cinemotion or Interlaced?

Do I need to have my DVD player connected via component for the Cinemotion to take effect? Or will the S-Video do?

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If you have a non-progressive player, set the tv to Cinemotion. This will work on any input, S-video, Component, Composite, even antenna or cable connections.

Generally, you will want to use the component video inputs to get the absolute best picture, but for dvd with a non-progressive player this will mainly mean more accurate color and won't affect the set's line-doubling performance.

With a progressive scan player you would have to use component video as this is the only way your set will accept a progressive scan signal.