What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it me or do the weekends come around again awfully fast?

What would've been the Duke's 106th birthday just passed last Sunday so I'm thinking of doing a John Wayne weekend. I have a stack of blu-rays containing several of his films. My choices are the following:

Dark Command
In Old California
Lady from Louisiana
Three Faces West
Rooster Cogburn
The War Wagon
War of the Wildcats
Wake of the Red Witch
The Fighting Seabees
Lady for a Night

I plan on watching four of those titles along with 3:10 to Yuma BD and maybe, one of the Ultimate Gangster Classics like Little Caesar or The Public Enemy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I did get to The Lorax 3D last weekend, but Argo still evades me. So that's still on the roster, but since I started the Ultimate Gangsters Classic Collection, I'll continue with the last two in the box: The Petrified Forest and White Heat.

I'll be reviewing those Disney 2-movie animated sets for the site this weekend, so the time for leisure viewing will be more limited than the past two weekends when there was nothing here to review.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
great mention on Vanishing Point, sort of got me thinking of a weekend of exploitation flicks

Vanishing Point

Assault on Prescient 13

Women In Cages Collection (Big Doll House, Big Bird Cage, Women In Cages)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Chronicles of Riddick in preparation for the new movie. A little early but it has been a while since I watched it last.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyhow, I got War of the Wildcats out of the way. A pretty good Republic film starring John Wayne and Albert Dekker. It's not nearly as good as Angel and the Badman, but it's entertaining for a low budget film.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
David Weicker said:
wouldn't they know it was coming?
spellcheck is a wonderful thing only if the word is spelled incorrectly, but when the wrong word is used makes you look like a total jackass, so now I have long ears and the word sucker flashing above my head, man I didn't even catch that :lol: , waiting to finish Women In Cages tonight on the portable in the back yard, try for a drive-in experience :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I knocked off Wake of the Red Witch, an underrated John Wayne film with one of his best acting performances.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Lots of hockey for me this weekend, but I did fall asleep late last night streaming FLAME OF THE ISLANDS. So far it had great Trucolor, nice Bahamian locations and Yvonne DeCarlo doing the breast stroke, but it's really a potboiler. I'll finish it up tonight.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Romancing The Stone and The Jewel Of The Nile (just picked up the two-disc combo at Sam's Club for $12)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Razors Edge which I hope will get an HD release
and Im going to watch How Green My Valley Was....
Its really weird I used to be exclusive horror and science fiction until a few years ago, now I watch tons of classic films....I love classics even though my passion is still horror :)

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
An old friend visited this past weekend. We watched "Poirot: How Does Your Garden Grow?," "Notorious," and "Blithe Spirit," (which he chose out of a group of 10 or so discs I let him consider). He hadn't seen any of them and liked them all.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
great mention on Vanishing Point, sort of got me thinking of a weekend of exploitation flicks
With any luck, I'll be watching a Blu-Ray double feature of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry / Race With the Devil this weekend.

- Walter.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I forgot to mention that I watched the Blu of THE FOX AND THE HOUND for the first time this past weekend. Interesting Disney movie in that it's very dark and moody, so different and, I think, superior to the wink, wink, nudge, nudge joke a minute animated movies they make now. Once again I was distracted by recognizable voice actors, something that always plagues me and takes me out of a animated movie. I long for the days of good, relatively anonymous voice actors rather than "stars." In this one there were definitely some questionable choices, especially Jack Albertson as a violent, sadistic hunter. I'm all for casting against type, but I just kept picturing him in WILLY WONKA and couldn't quite reconcile it with his performance here.

The Blu seemed a bit soft in some shots, very sharp and detailed in others. 5.1 was limited to mostly music in the surrounds, leaving right-left-center for the rest. Colors did not seem overtly boosted to me, but I am no expert on such things.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still haven't gotten to Argo. I spent what little free time I had over the weekend and this week going through the Ultimate Gangsters box set with its 1 3/4-hour documentary disc. Enjoyed seeing all of those classics again and in high def for the first time.

I'll be working on reviews of At Long Last Love and Snitch this weekend, and there's the Tony Awards on Sunday night, so I doubt I'll get to anything else of note.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am going to get to some of my Hitchcock backlog from the Masterpiece Collection. We watched Topaz this evening, and hopefully will get to The Trouble With Harry tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks