What's On Your Mind? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'll never understand women who wear short skirts but spend a lot of time pulling them down when they hike too high up their legs exposing themselves. Seems like a lot of trouble
No sisters? I have 5. Let's just say men dress largely for comfort while women *may* have other motives. :cool:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Someone just complained to me and warned me not to go outside because it was hot and miserable. Something didn't feel right so I checked the weather and it's 77 degrees with 22% humidity. Huh?
Lol. Come to Arkansas. Yesterday was 89° with 66% humidity for a heat index of 101° and it’s only mid-May. I’m currently in Memphis but I heard a 40-minute diatribe from my wife about how hot and humid it was at home yesterday and how our bedroom upstairs was an unbearable 72°.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Being stout of heart as well as a tad foolhardy, Clint generously poured Tapatío salsa picante on his tacos, a move he would surely regret in the morning.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
No sisters? I have 5. Let's just say men dress largely for comfort while women *may* have other motives. :cool:

Mostly true, except now I'm seeing more and more men wearing tight-fitting pants - this in addition to the continuing trend of showing undies by wearing pants halfway down the rear end. If there's ever a return to the days of dudes wearing open shirts exposing hairy chests, I'm writing to Congress :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I just had a new A/C installed. I think it hangs too far out of the window sort of precariously and I'm worried about it falling out so much that I may actually remove it. I placed a single brick under the unit for support, which seems to do the trick but what are the odds of this thing succumbing to gravity and taking the window of my rental down with it? God forbid someone is standing under my window should that happen. I considered buying a support bracket but my lease expressly prohibits drilling into the brickwork/facade. Should I add another brick or two for extra support or is one brick enough?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I wore a mask indoors today for the first time in a good while and it had nothing to do with covid. Thanks to our friends in the Great White North and their delightful wildfires, the city was shrouded in orange and a weird smell that made my eyes burn and throat feel sore. It truly felt like the end of the world.

BTW, why do they call Canada the Great White North?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you live in NYC, it truly looks like Hell’s Kitchen.

I assume Canada is called the Great White North because of the abundance of snow during winter months?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wore a mask indoors today for the first time in a good while and it had nothing to do with covid. Thanks to our friends in the Great White North and their delightful wildfires, the city was shrouded in orange and a weird smell that made my eyes burn and throat feel sore. It truly felt like the end of the world.

BTW, why do they call Canada the Great White North?
Strange how wildfires far away can affect the atmosphere. It’s been a tad hazy all week here in northeastern KY, and western OH.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I hear that the air in NYC is so bad because of this that even the rats are complaining.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I assume Canada is called the Great White North because of the abundance of snow during winter months?

This makes sense. A bit ironic now - the wildfires we're seeing now are caused by generally warmer temps and mild Winters, which means there's less snow pack and earlier melt, exposing dry vegetation and making conditions ideal for fires. I do wonder if there's something else at play, though. Wildfires are nothing new but we've never had anything like this crazy haze that's wafting down and covering everything.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It is a bit of an unusual situation as while the prevailing weather patterns usually move west to east, we've had what they call a "cutoff" low pressure system hanging over New England for the better part of a week. The counter-clockwise circulation around this system is what's pushing the smoke out of Canada and directly down the east coast. Under typical conditions, the smoke would blow to the east, not south, over eastern Canada and the Atlantic.

But I also don't recall Canada having so many wildfires. Unless it just hasn't been newsworthy in the U.S. in the past because the smoke mostly stayed north of the border?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It is a bit of an unusual situation as while the prevailing weather patterns usually move west to east, we've had what they call a "cutoff" low pressure system hanging over New England for the better part of a week. The counter-clockwise circulation around this system is what's pushing the smoke out of Canada and directly down the east coast. Under typical conditions, the smoke would blow to the east, not south, over eastern Canada and the Atlantic.

The odd thing is that here in New Hampshire -- or at least here in Concord, NH -- we haven't seen the orange/brown haze. My wife and I would watch the national news, and Lester Holt would go on about the awful AQI in this region of the country, but we'd look out our window, and see gray clouds with the occasional spot of bright blue skies. It's like we're in the eye of a hurricane with the bad shit moving around us instead of over us.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We didn't get the thick cover here in Vermont, either, but I believe it was Monday when we had an air quality warning statewide and had kind of a hazy/dimmed sunshine. I could smell it in the air and had some noticeable throat irritation. But nothing like what they seem to have had to our west and south. I think the weather system pushed further to the west on Tuesday so we've mostly been having clouds and showers since then, rather than just prevailing winds on the periphery that are pushing the smoke.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Just throwing this out there (with my flame suit on) but… What if ST: Strange New Worlds really isn’t very good and people just think it is because the back door pilot was ST: Disco, which is a four-alarm dumpster fire?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Just throwing this out there (with my flame suit on) but… What if ST: Strange New Worlds really isn’t very good and people just think it is because the back door pilot was ST: Disco, which is a four-alarm dumpster fire?

I'd say you're starting from a false premise: Star Trek: Discovery is not a four-alarm dumpster fire. My wife and I really like it.
;)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Kind of a sad day on Saturday- I went to a watering hole that I would occasionally visit, to have a pop or two. I found out that they were closing for good. Had a good time with the others- we were buying each other rounds. The owners were selling everything, including the TVs and wall decorations, so I bought these two pieces for $10 each
1E29E623-D697-441B-A803-CE28E3758D1F.jpeg
A2C44D25-8027-4B53-A332-C375242B27F1.jpeg

I’m almost 100% positive that the free beer tomorrow sign was on the wall when I started going there in 2007, not long after I bought my house.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, it's July. I call it the "buffer" month - the time of year before everything starts to go downhill in terms of how fast time goes by. August always felt like the slowest month of the year to me but that was before I got air conditioning lol. So, once August starts to wane out, it's Labor Day and, from there, it's an express ride to Christmas. Then we get to do it all over again.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They're probably putting up a condo in that spot. More housing for rich people.
Hmmmm- my guess is possibly self-storage (that seems to be growing these days), or a dollar store. My area doesn’t have a lot of high paying jobs available
(if I weren’t driving a truck, I wouldn’t be able to pay mortgage on my house).

About how time flies- it sure does. The passage of time is a depressing topic, and I try not to think about it, if I can help it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks