What's new

What's On Your Mind? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really sure of the mechanics, but I think on electric cars and the electric side of hybrids it's just more like an "on/off" switch instead of what we think of as a traditional engine starter.

I also wonder if "starter" technology has advanced in the past couple of decades, as I've never really had any issues with the starter on modern vehicles. The only time my cars haven't started over the past 20 years or so is when the battery is weak/dead (usually on a below zero morning).

I will say it was pretty seamless on my uncle's car. The engine would shut down when you stopped at a red light, and it was immediately back up and running as soon as you press the gas to start up again. That said, he and another family member who owned the same model (it was the Ford C-Max) both switched back to traditional gas engines with their next car purchase.

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
An energy saving feature on hybrid/electric models (and possibly some newer gas models, for all I know). My uncle had a hybrid that did this a few years back that I drove a few times. Takes some getting used to as a driver, too, as those driving for a number of years are used to an engine shutting down while in "driving" mode as being a sign of trouble.

Sorry if this seemed like a silly question but I don't drive. I plan on taking lessons in the next year or so. One of my biggest fears is having a car shut down on me while stopped at a light and it not starting up again. I'd probably get out and walk away lol

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really a silly question, IMO. I wasn't sure what was happening the first time I was driving it. My uncle declined to tell me in advance that it would happen so he could get a laugh when I panicked. :)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not really sure of the mechanics, but I think on electric cars and the electric side of hybrids it's just more like an "on/off" switch instead of what we think of as a traditional engine starter.

I also wonder if "starter" technology has advanced in the past couple of decades, as I've never really had any issues with the starter on modern vehicles. The only time my cars haven't started over the past 20 years or so is when the battery is weak/dead (usually on a below zero morning).

I will say it was pretty seamless on my uncle's car. The engine would shut down when you stopped at a red light, and it was immediately back up and running as soon as you press the gas to start up again. That said, he and another family member who owned the same model (it was the Ford C-Max) both switched back to traditional gas engines with their next car purchase.
That auto- shut off while stopped- I’m glad neither of my Chryslers has this. I just have it in my mind that it will be something else to go wrong with a car.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Why do drivers insist on arguing with traffic cops? I see it all the time in NYC. They literally stop their cars to argue with the agents. Their jobs are tough enough without the added aggravation of stubborn motorists.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Why do drivers insist on arguing with traffic cops? I see it all the time in NYC. They literally stop their cars to argue with the agents. Their jobs are tough enough without the added aggravation of stubborn motorists.
Speaking of driving- boy, I am getting fed up with being a truck driver- too many clueless, rude drivers. I had a beauty this morning that had my head close to explosion status.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Speaking of driving- boy, I am getting fed up with being a truck driver- too many clueless, rude drivers. I had a beauty this morning that had my head close to explosion status.

Anybody ever brake-check you? I always get a kick out of youtube videos where people in small cars brake check big rigs. Like, what are they hoping to accomplish?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Anybody ever brake-check you? I always get a kick out of youtube videos where people in small cars brake check big rigs. Like, what are they hoping to accomplish?
It has happened a couple of times, when the 4-wheelers think I have done them wrong (I didn’t in either case). The rudeness in society is rearing its ugly head today- I had to go to a truck stop CAT scale, and there was another “professional” driver that parked his rig in the scale exit lane, so I had to back off the scale. Unbelievable. 😡

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's too easy to blame the pandemic making people too impatient and irritated. But that's just an excuse to act rude.

Last year, I made a perfectly proper left turn at a traffic light. For some reason unknown to me, it pissed someone off. As I was driving up the drag in the right lane, this someone sped up in the left lane next to me, and started screaming something unintelligible. He finally sped off, and I had to pull into a store parking lot to decompress. I was seriously afraid he was going to pull a gun and start shooting at me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It's too easy to blame the pandemic making people too impatient and irritated. But that's just an excuse to act rude.

Last year, I made a perfectly proper left turn at a traffic light. For some reason unknown to me, it pissed someone off. As I was driving up the drag in the right lane, this someone sped up in the left lane next to me, and started screaming something unintelligible. He finally sped off, and I had to pull into a store parking lot to decompress. I was seriously afraid he was going to pull a gun and start shooting at me.

It seems following road rules, even to a T, is cause enough to anger people and make them lash out but there's really no telling what will set someone off. I've stayed off the road most of my life because of all the horror stories. When I finally do get a license and buy a car, it'll probably take just one scary incident to make me go back to not driving.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
With all the cities I’ve driven through and all the bad drivers I’ve witnessed, I have to say that Memphis, TN takes the cake for being the capitol of bad drivers. It’s way worse than Atlanta, NYC, and even Baton Rouge. There’s a reason that most cars here are missing either their front or rear bumper (or both) and have dents on one or both sides of the car. I’ve also noticed about half the cars here either have expired temporary tags or no tags at all. On a daily basis, I witness drivers passing cars in turn lanes, passing on the far right shoulder, (I’ve even seen someone driving on the grass and sidewalk at over 45mph just to pass a slower moving car in the right lane), then running a red light to turn left across four lanes of traffic at an intersection, cutting off other drivers and often times causing accidents, cars racing close to or over 100mph on city streets in busy business districts and residential areas alike (often times taking out telephone/light poles in the process), as well as drivers chucking bottles, cans, and random shit out of their car windows while barreling through city traffic at near interstate speeds. It’s literally the Wild West here mixed with the Burnout and Grand Theft Auto video game series.

At night, I stay in Olive Branch, Mississippi and driving here is a literal night and day difference.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Driving in Memphis always makes me think of… IMG_6947.gif

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Driving in Memphis always makes me think of… View attachment 183364
I like this film (Waiting…)

Another thing I saw yesterday was 3 idiots in sports cars racing each other through fairly heavy traffic on 75 south, approaching downtown Cincinnati (one of these jerks used the shoulder as a passing lane). And there are people who wonder why there are still so many accidents. 🙄

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Why do car engines shut down while they're stopped at a light? I've seen it happen often, mostly with newer cars. Just curious
This "feature" was a direct result of EPA requirements for manufacturers to make their vehicles more fuel efficient. I hate the feature on my vehicle and disable it immediately after starting the engine.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Because they've never been forced to the ground with shotguns pointed at them. I'll leave it at that.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have a feeling I'm about to be stiffed by an Ebay seller. First clue: no post-sale communication. Every grossly-inflated aftermarket item I've purchased was always followed by a quick thank you and promise to ship the following day. Not this guy. First email I sent asking for an update: "I'm sorry, I'll ship it tomorrow". 36 hours pass and nothing. Second email's response: "I'm sorry, I'm going through a personal issue - I'll ship it tomorrow". That one's a classic. If I don't get a tracking number by the end of the day then I'll know I'm in for a screw job. I'm thinking the seller probably researched the item post-sale and thinks he can get a lot more money for it so he's stalling me and playing games and plans on cancelling the order. Ebay won't let buyers leave feedback if no transaction occurs, which is a shame because I was planning on letting him have it. Now, if he truly has some sort of issue then that's fine - I can wait. But something tells me this won't end on a good note.
How did this ultimately play out?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'll never understand women who wear short skirts but spend a lot of time pulling them down when they hike too high up their legs exposing themselves. Seems like a lot of trouble

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Someone just complained to me and warned me not to go outside because it was hot and miserable. Something didn't feel right so I checked the weather and it's 77 degrees with 22% humidity. Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks