What's new

What's on your I-Pod/MP3 player? (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's not a proprietary format. They didn't even develop it. I guess you could say the purchased songs are proprietary but I doubt you are encoding protected AAC files. :)

Neil

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Glenn, I sure didn't pay a close out price ($299) but I wondered if I got the last one because when I went back to Gateway's web page, all reference to it was gone. It is supposed to be delivered today so hopefully they didn't substitute the 64MB version :frowning: and charge be for the 20GB. :angry:

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd add:

My 15GB iPod has 1269 songs on it, and there is still 6.6GB available. Most are encoded as .mp3 VBR (-alt preset standard); a handful are AAC.

One of the cool iPod features is the On-the-Go playlist. I'd guess that other players sport a feature like this as well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
having a music server is the best thing since sliced bread. i have a mini ipod and the hp dec music server.

between those two things, i rarely run out of music to play.

i rip everything at 160 and it sounds just fine. i mean, if i'm going for sonic quality, i'll just play the original cd. but most of the time i just put the thing on shuffle and enjoy.

since my hp won't hold my entire collection, i mainly have "best-of"'s on it. so that way, when i hit shuffle, i'm pretty much guaranteed to have a decent song play. it's *wonderful* for parties.

as far as playlists goes, it's completely eclectic. i have just about every format: classic rock, alternative, new wave, disco, trance, hip-hop, techno...etc. it does make for some interesting playlists.

i also created a workout playlist on the ipod. that way i always have a motivatin' tune to listen to.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
That's a good idea Ted. Often I am tagged to provide music for friend's parties or weddings, whether it is disco/funk/soul, cocktail, or jazz. I think I'll create big playlists and just start bringing the jukebox and patch cables with me to parties.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

You asked about CD quality sound. Many MP3 users and vendors will claim that 128 Kbps MP3 is "CD quality". It isn't; if you listen on good speakers, you can tell it is not anywhere close. Likewise, Apple touts the quality of AAC. While AAC is supposed to produce better sound at any given bitrate than MP3, I think it very unlikely that 128 Kbps AAC is "CD quality".

The formats I mentioned (WAV, AIFF) will store sound that is, by definition, CD quality (barring errors during DAE), because they capture the full set of uncompressed samples from the disc.

"High-bitrate" (192 - 320 Kbps) MP3s and AACs are usually good enough to fool most casual / portable listeners into thinking they're listening to the original CD -- provided that they're prepared from a CD, not from a lossy source.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
At the 128k MP3 option, I'm at just over 8050 songs and just under 30GB. As far as the total hours? I'm not sure, but iTunes says 22 days :D

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've been burning 192k WMA files and they sound great. I won't be able to store all 2500 of my CDs, but I should be able to store a healthy dose.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
bump
just got my ipod the other day

are you guys using any sort of peripheral products on it? i'm kind of thinking of getting an fm transmittor but the reviews seem to be all over the place.

anyone have any first hand experience?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
bump
just got my ipod the other day

are you guys using any sort of peripheral products on it? i'm kind of thinking of getting an fm transmittor but the reviews seem to be all over the place.

anyone have any first hand experience?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I don't have an FM transmitter, but I used to use a cassette adapter. My new car didn't come with a cassette player, so I ended up getting a new head unit (JVC) that has an input in the front. The direct connection works great. I use it in conjunction with the Belkin auto kit charger. I bypass the built-in amplifier, however. It makes the sound cut out, which is not uncommon in some vehicles.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I don't have an FM transmitter, but I used to use a cassette adapter. My new car didn't come with a cassette player, so I ended up getting a new head unit (JVC) that has an input in the front. The direct connection works great. I use it in conjunction with the Belkin auto kit charger. I bypass the built-in amplifier, however. It makes the sound cut out, which is not uncommon in some vehicles.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have experience both with the iTrip (by Griffin) and the Tune Cast II (by Belkin). In my vehicle, in my driving area, the Belkin is much better, which a better signal, less static (virtually none) and better stereo separation during playback. I liked the sexiness of the iTrip, but I'm keeping the Belkin.

When Alpine releases their new head units which will connect with and control the iPod, I'll be installing one!

Mark, which iPod did you buy?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have experience both with the iTrip (by Griffin) and the Tune Cast II (by Belkin). In my vehicle, in my driving area, the Belkin is much better, which a better signal, less static (virtually none) and better stereo separation during playback. I liked the sexiness of the iTrip, but I'm keeping the Belkin.

When Alpine releases their new head units which will connect with and control the iPod, I'll be installing one!

Mark, which iPod did you buy?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how in the world did you guys get the itrip to work. i spent probably a good two hours on that thing with no success.

i imported the playlist, set the station (confirmed with the two led blinks, blah blah blah ...) -- all i got was static. ugh! :)

anyway, i hear they're coming out with one specifically for the mini....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks