What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
My Saturday viewing will consist of The Blob and Them! (both in 35mm) and Tarantula (projected from DVD) at the beautiful Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville, PA. I even got tickets to the always sold-out annual "run-out" tonight -- because there are some things you have to do or see at least once. Right?
Be sure to visit the balcony where the kids in the movie sat. I've never been to Blob Fest but I imagine they highlight that at some point.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was there for my first time last year and did all that. I even snagged the aisle seat right in front of the plaque on the wall and watched The Blob from there. This year I'm taking a couple of friends for their first time, and they're going to go crazy over every last thing. That's going to be just as much fun as my discovering it all last year.

Attachments

• Blob2012-58.JPG
    Blob2012-58.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 31

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D and had a very enjoyable experience. For the rest of the weekend, I'm looking at viewing the BDs of Empire of the Sun and Blood and Sand.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
I was there for my first time last year and did all that. I even snagged the aisle seat right in front of the plaque on the wall and watched The Blob from there. This year I'm taking a couple of friends for their first time, and they're going to go crazy over every last thing. That's going to be just as much fun as my discovering it all last year.
How'd the run out go with the rain last night?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It probably cut down on the number of spectators, and on how long everyone hung around (for example, we enjoyed a late supper at Franco's across the street and were the only customers in there). But the house was full and the run out went splendidly.

Saturday was excellent, with no rain all morning and afternoon, till something came through while we were enjoying the afternoon double feature. But everything was great. We were happily Blobbed out by then and opted to hit the road for the three-hour drive home.

But what weather. And traffic, which sucked up an additional TWO HOURS on the NJ turnpike Friday afternoon. We got there just in time to relax to the last half hour of the entertainment before the run out. Then, heading back, the thunderstorm and deluge over the far eastern PA turnpike and NJ extension were what I might call history making in the annals of rainy driving adventures.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Heat wave here, 95 degrees out, cat's on floor paws up, thinking Ice Station Zebra, Billion Dollar Brain, The Heros of Telemark.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did watch The American President last weekend and quite enojyed seeing it in high def after years of watching it on laser. Quite an upgrade! I did also get to an Archive title, but not from the Warner Archive. I chose Dreamboat from the Fox Archive. As usual, the volume was too high, and the transfer had interlaced artifacts that were irritating, but I have always liked the silent movie scenes incorporated into the story so I'm glad I have it.

Amazon finally put Hans Christian Andersen and Guys and Dolls on sale and I watched Hans last night (so much better than the HBO DVD I've been watching for years). I'll get to Guys and Dolls this weekend, and I'll make a return trip to the Archives for something, but at this point I'm not sure what. I'm still curious about New Moon, a MacDonald/Eddy musical I don't think I've ever seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
I did watch The American President last weekend and quite enojyed seeing it in high def after years of watching it on laser. Quite an upgrade! I did also get to an Archive title, but not from the Warner Archive. I chose Dreamboat from the Fox Archive. As usual, the volume was too high, and the transfer had interlaced artifacts that were irritating, but I have always liked the silent movie scenes incorporated into the story so I'm glad I have it.

Amazon finally put Hans Christian Andersen and Guys and Dolls on sale and I watched Hans last night (so much better than the HBO DVD I've been watching for years). I'll get to Guys and Dolls this weekend, and I'll make a return trip to the Archives for something, but at this point I'm not sure what. I'm still curious about New Moon, a MacDonald/Eddy musical I don't think I've ever seen.
I'm going to the movies this weekend, but I did buy that Guys and Dolls BD from Amazon this week. I'm not sure I'll watch it this weekend as I will most likely choose something more action packed. At the movie theater, I plan on seeing Red 2 and The Conjuring.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Conjuring is one of the best "ghost" films in the last 30 or so years. It brought me back to the 70s when such films were at their best. An R rated film without the gore, sex or language. I had a great time and will definitely buy the BD of it.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sadly, I lost the coin-flip for The Conjuring Robert, so we ended up seeing R.I.P.D. instead. My movie buddy owes me BIG TIME for that one...

I consoled myself at home for the rest of the weekend with a second viewing of Ice Station Zebra (beautiful Blu-ray), followed by Renoir's Swamp Water (ditto), plus the original Cape Fear (loved the thunderous reproduction of Herrmann's score).

So saved from 1st run despair by 'subs' and 'swamps'...

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm watching the Dustin Hoffman film "Straight Time". It features a young and noticably thinner Kathy Bates. One of Hoffmans best.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm watching the Dustin Hoffman film "Straight Time". It features a young and noticably thinner Kathy Bates. One of Hoffmans best.
I have a feeling I saw that once.

I know it's been highly recommended.

Sorry to see there is no Blu-ray release, that is,
unless it's available as an import.

Would love to see it again.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Ronald Epstein said:
I have a feeling I saw that once.

I know it's been highly recommended.

Sorry to see there is no Blu-ray release, that is,
unless it's available as an import.

Would love to see it again.
Oops, sorry it's not on Blu-ray but a more than acceptable DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ROclockCK said:
Sadly, I lost the coin-flip for The Conjuring Robert, so we ended up seeing R.I.P.D. instead. My movie buddy owes me BIG TIME for that one...

I consoled myself at home for the rest of the weekend with a second viewing of Ice Station Zebra (beautiful Blu-ray), followed by Renoir's Swamp Water (ditto), plus the original Cape Fear (loved the thunderous reproduction of Herrmann's score).

So saved from 1st run despair by 'subs' and 'swamps'...
You can say that again, as not only was The Conjuring a better movie, the box office for the weekend was 41.5M compared to R.I.P.D at 12.8M with actual movie goers grading The Conjuring with an A- grade.

I watched Red 2 today. Not great, but not bad as it earns a B- grade from me. Also, I bought The Gunfighter in HD from Apple TV a long time ago and decided to watch it this morning. It's really sad that streaming is going to take over for optical disc as it's quality is far behind BD in my opinion. Not surprising since the general public always choses convenience over quality. So much for getting the best out of their HD equipment.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Kind of a 'short' weekend for me - family things.

Still ...

I watched
Blue Velvet,
The Jazz Singer,
RED 2 (and original RED),
and (because I had to see if it lived up to its hype) - Sharknado.

David

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
family things going on as well, but did manage
Once Upon A Time In The West
Umberto D.
A Room With A View
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Sweet Smell Of Success

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did get to Guys and Dolls last weekend, and it's the first home video version of the movie that I ever found palatable. The others were either non-anamorphic or cropped and color timed badly. This one on Blu-ray looked quite wonderful, and I enjoyed watching it. I also watched New Moon from the Archives. I had seen it before, but it was quite wondewrful nonetheless, one of the best of the MacDonald/Eddy teamings.

Not quite sure what's on tap for this weekend. I will be busy reviewing stuff, so there may not be much time for leisure viewing, but I wouldn't mind watching The Poseidon Adventure or Executive Decision if I can get to one or both of them. We'll have to see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm off to see The Way, Way Back in the movie theater. Then later today I'll start viewing my TT titles. I'll probably start with The Driver later today.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched the Criterion SAFETY LAST! Blu that I bought in the B&N sale. That Blu was the sort of release that made Criterion's reputation back in the laserdisc days. A splendid version of the film, with some Lloyd shorts and great supplements. I'm still not finished with everything on the disc. And it prompted me to pull out my Lloyd DVD set to watch more Lloyd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks