What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight:

1714961686110.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm an admirer of Ellen Barkin so I watched Sea Of Love yesterday. She was good as usual and I find the film interesting but I would have liked it more if the detective had not been such an awkward jerk.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Watched AIPOPs new release "The Last Man on Earth" 3D...Andrew and crew did a great job creating this wonderful adjusted classic, and the 3D graphic novle included in the puchase was down right amazing!!!
And I followed that up with a fun restoration on BD of "The Belles of Saint Tinian's" (1954). Alastair Sim is in fine form, playing duel parts!!

Last edited:

Noir Norn

Second Unit
Real Name
Warren
Sunday:
Tony Perkins & Diana Scarwid in Psycho III
on Blu Ray
1000031182.png

-----------{*}------------
Monday:
Fred & Ginger in The Barkleys of Broadway
in glorious Technicolor from Warner's DVD box set!
1000031177.png

Last edited:

Noir Norn

Second Unit
Real Name
Warren
still basking in my Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collector's Edition box set ...

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle
1000031192.png

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Joy Ride
Originally Released: 07/07/2023
Watched: 05/07/2024
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

Joy Ride (2023) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This raunchy Hangover-meets-Euro Trip road trip comedy lets four young Asian Americans loose in East Asia. There were a number of moments where I laughed out loud, and it has some surprisingly poignant observations about international adoption.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Roaring Twenties last night. I hadn't seen this film for several years despite owning a James Cagney DVD box-set and that puzzles me as I have regarded this film as one of the classic gangster movies for decades. Last night's viewing also reminded me of how flexible an actor was Paul Kelly. Compare his performance here with those in Crossfire and The File On Thelma Jordan.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Caged last night. Its not a film I know well but it is interesting and I'm pleased that it's a bit low-key and not over dramatized. The producer was Jerry Wald and I normally enjoy his films. The formidable Hope Emerson plays the corrupt prison warder, a stock character in prison dramas. The cast contains many familiar faces and they're all pretty good. Director John Cromwell did well on this movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Death Race 2000
Originally Released: 04/27/1975
Watched: 05/13/2024
1080P HD digital streaming on Amazon Freevee, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

In memory of Roger Corman:
Death Race 2000 (1975) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Roger Corman's attempt to cash in on the buzz surrounding Rollerball with something cheaper and faster resulted in this movie, one of the most violent and kinetic to come out of the dystopian craze of the seventies. That you can see many of the seams in its futuristic America is part of the fun, and makes some of the stunts all the more thrilling. And its vision of the lions in the Colosseum as reality television complete with well known announcers and interviewers making a mockery of empathy laying the groundwork for future efforts like The Running Man and The Hunger Games.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Madame Web
Originally Released: 02/14/2024
Watched: 05/16/2024
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Madame Web (2024) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Your level of fascination with bad movies. Because, despite some intriguing macro-level ideas laying the groundwork for a live action Spider-Verse, this is the most comprehensively bad movie I've seen in recent memory, maybe ever.

The story construction is as incompetent as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Morbius, my previous contenders for the worst superhero movie I'd ever seen.

But the real clincher is the dialog, which feels like it was written by an early ChatGPT prototype. Nothing any of the characters say feels remotely like something an actual human being would say. It feels like a lot of superhero movie cliches were dumped into a blender without a lid, and bits and chunks were sprayed out randomly in all directions and then inserted into random scenes.

Taken as a whole, I can see the pitch for this movie, and how that pitch even could have been made into a movie I would have enjoyed. What I can't understand is how the Sony executives saw more than a day or two of dailies and didn't shut the entire production down to retool. The problems are that obvious and fundamental.

Props to Adam Scott, though, who tries his damnedest to create a real character out of the meager scraps he had to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azy
Recent bookmarks