What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (7 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 3, 2015 Tuesday

Fury Bluray DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Fury-Poster.jpg

Marvels Agent Carter: Valediction HD-DVR Dolby Digital 5.1

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 4, 2015 Wednesday

Gotham: Red Hood HD-DVR Dolby Digital 5.1

Gotham: Everyone Has A Cobblepot HD-DVR Dolby Digital 5.1

Gotham_Cast_Banner.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I will likely have some review discs waiting, and I have some TV to catch up with, but I hope to be able to watch some 3D this weekend.

Being so thrilled with the stupendous 3D in Kiss Me Kate made me want to rewatch Hugo and then maybe go on to The Adventures of Tintin.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched "Kiss Me Kate" in 3D the other night - my first time seeing the movie. I also caught the new Blu-ray of "The Andromeda Strain".

I'm not sure that I'm going to have a lot of time to see movies this weekend (I'm seeing Craig Ferguson perform on Saturday night after work), but if I get lucky, I'd love to get a peek at the new Blu-ray of "Capricorn One" that just arrived. I've been rewatching all of the original Star Trek episodes since the beginning of the year, and I'm now about halfway through the third season, so it's probably a good bet that at least one episode will sneak through somewhere.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Broken Trail", "Wings", "Blacula", "Scream Blacula Scream", "Fury", and "High Spirits", all on Blu-Ray, as well as the Hal Ashby cut of "Lookin' To Get Out" on DVD. Too eclectic? Perhaps, but I enjoyed all of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got to see new (to me anyway) Blu-rays of "The Caine Mutiny" and "Citizen Kane" a couple nights ago, and then watched the DVD of "RKO 281" the following morning.

Thinking I might do some more Humphrey Bogart this weekend if time permits, I have the Blu-rays of "Maltese Falcon" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" on order.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Expect to watch
The Quiet Man
Finian's Rainbow
[]Darby O'Gill[/i] (on TCM HD)

And hopefully (since it shipped today), Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was expecting the review copy of Into the Woods today, but since it didn't arrive, it looks like I'm going to have the weekend free to watch some backlog of discs. I do hope to get to The Adventures of Tintin and maybe select one of the previously watched 3D films since Kiss Me Kate has given me the 3D itch and I feel the need to scratch it.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
New BD of How to Murder Your Wife, the documentary, The Wrecking Crew, and films noir, The Blue Dahlia and Phantom Lady.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Maltese Falcon" on Blu-ray last night - my first time watching them in HD. The DVDs had pretty darn good, but the Blu-rays look amazing. The movies are still as incredible as they've always been.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Blu-Rays of "Stalingrad" and the "Julie Andrews Returns To Salzburg" featurette Friday night; live performance by the Flamin Groovies and a Blu-Ray of "Jennifer's Body" last night; tonight, Blu-Rays of "All Good Things" and "How To Murder Your Wife" after the final episode on HBO of "The Jinx".

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Friday night, together with my wife's sister and our brother-in-law, we watched The Help on Blu-ray. Love that movie.

For the rest of the weekend, the only movie watching was done by me as I indulged a recent kick I've been on, lately, of watching some of the sci-fi movies of the 1950s. (I know, they're often shoddy or lame, but they bring up some fond memories from a misspent childhood)

The first one I watched, Conquest of Space, was a 1955 flick about the first manned trip to Mars, and it starred Eric Fleming, who was the trail boss in the old Rawhide TV series, that co-starred Clint Eastwood.

Next I checked out 1952's Invasion USA, which features the nightmare scenario of a communist invasion of the U.S by an unnamed country, but the invading soldiers, definitely were portrayed with Russian accents. In the film, the enemy initially begins by dropping A-bombs on air fields, then on the Grand Coulee Dam, before hitting heavily populated areas. To refrain from being too much of a spoiler I won't name any cities that end up being A-bombed. But enemy paratroops even land in Washington DC and shoot some senators and congressmen.

Finally, my last movie of the weekend, so far, was Devil Girl From Mars which is a 1954 release that was produced in the UK. Unlike, the other films of this weekend, I'd never seen Devil Girl before. As I settled back to enjoy a film guaranteed to be cheesy, I was surprised to see the opening credits note that Devil Girl was based on a play. I'm afraid that was a false sign, if it would indicate to anyone, that the film might possess a touch of class. The story involves a small group of people who are forced to remain at a Scottish inn after the woman of the title lands her flying saucer about 100 yards from the inn's front door. This alien not only informs the trapped people that she's put up a force field to prevent their departure, but also that she needs to take back a healthy male of the human species to help repopulate Mars. She explains that it took hundreds of years for Martian women to become emancipated, which then lead to a war between the sexes, resulting in the males being soundly defeated.

Have got to say that the Devil Girl had an intense outfit for the 50s, and was all decked out in black. Of course with a title like hers, you're not exactly expecting her to show up in pink. On her head she wore something that looked like one of those old fashioned rubber bathing caps that women wore to go swimming 60 years ago, but this one narrowed to a point when it got to just above her forehead. She was an attractive dark eyed woman, but her black bathing cap prevented any possible hair on her head from being seen. And this evil minx was dressed in tight black vinyl (leather might have made her look hotter, but was probably beyond the film's shoestring budget) with the point of a small triangle jutting straight up from the top of each of her shoulders.

And adding to the outrageousness, was Devil Girl's large black cape that just reached to the ground. But the best facet of the woman's appearance, IMHO, was the little black mini-skirt and bare thighs that were fully in view any time (which was often) that Devil Girl had her cape widely parted up front. The terrific looking thighs in evidence had me wondering what kind of selection process the Martians might have used to arrive at this particular specimen as the female they wished to have representing Martian womanhood. One really shrewd move on their, or probably, on her part, was the selection of a mini-skirt that must have been a good foot to a foot and a half shorter than the dresses that even the European earth women of 1954 were wearing. With that skirt providing so much of an advantage as a magnet for attracting horny guys, compared to the Mary Poppins like attire of 1954's earth women, the fact that Devil Girl was shown still having to use a sort of hypnotic ray to string men along, certainly did put further strain on the story's credibility.

Anyway, in the end, Devil Girl was basic low budget trash, lacking in either good writing or acting. But maybe with today's less uptight attitudes toward sexuality, Devil Girl From Mars could be a great remake, intended as something for late night Cinemax showings. Because I think that if someone won't take the time or effort, or lacks the talent, to make a decent movie, then to make things a little interesting, he should make what my grandmother would have called an indecent or dirty movie. But that thinking is so 1950s. To me it's just ridiculous when someone says they just read a "dirty book" or saw a "dirty" movie. As far as I'm concerned, the only time that sex between 2 willing adults is dirty, in any way, is if one, or both of them, have not showered or bathed recently. Having that sort of acceptance and comfort with sexuality, which is such a strong component in every human's life, probably helps explain why survey after survey has indicated that the Danes are the most contented major population group on earth, and also, among the least tense and violent groups of people. I know that potentially, some moderator might want to give me some grief for my statements, but they are not political, but rather, they are sociological. All I'm trying to say is that with the sexual drive being so strong, convincing a college aged couple, for example, that their unmarried love making is filth, can have nothing but negative consequences on their mental health, especially if there are economic or other barriers, that preclude that couple from being able to get married for a long time. How can something be simple, filthy lust, on Friday and then suddenly, be comfortably thought of as something beautiful, right after a brief wedding takes place on Saturday. Another problem, though, is that even after getting married, all the years of negative social conditioning concerning sex, result in many married people still considering it to be dirty, in some way, even within their marriage. I was stunned when my buddy's wife yelled at him to turn off a really polite sex advice show on a local radio station, as she said "I don't wanna hear that filth." Hey, it's been a long weekend, and I trust that in 2015, not too many people on a site that discusses R-Rated movies, should find my ideas and rambling to be offensive, which they certainly were not intended to be. Maybe, I'd hope though, that some folks might have found my honest expression of some ideas, to be a little thought provoking as this weekend winds down to its close.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Friday were two films on my program: American Hustle and Sabotage (with Arnold)

Yesterday I watched a Austrian/German sort-of Western: Das finstere Tal (The Dark Valley). It plays in the Austrian Alps, but has a story which reminds me of Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. :)

Synopsis:

Through a hidden path a lone rider reaches a little town high up in the Alpes. Nobody knows where the stranger comes from, nor what he wants there. But everyone knows that they don't want him to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation715
    Recent bookmarks