1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Again, I'll be busy reviewing this weekend, but should have time to catch up with some of this past week's television programs. Next weekend should be more leisurely.

2. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    The Broadway Melody (1929) and some Star Trek in honor of Leonard Nimoy. :,(

3. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer

John smith
    Darker Than Amber, in anticipation of a new Travis McGee film. A Walk Among the Tombstones, Z, A Man and a Woman.

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was all set to watch "Citizen Kane", "The Caine Mutiny" and "The Andromeda Strain" but there's a really good chance I might just end up watching "Star Trek" episodes and movies instead.

ROclockCK and David Weicker like this.
  5. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Sounds like a plan Josh. I haven't seen the original series in at least 20 years. And despite owning all 3 seasons on Blu-ray, they remain unopened on my shelf.

Before diving in, I'm curious about the alternate CGI effects versions of those shows. Are they any good? Or a misguided stunt?

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    They're often very similar to what they replaced. The CGI really tries to capture the original look so switching back and forth between both, to me they have the same impact. First time I watched the Blu-ray set, I watched them with the new effects, and the next time I watched with the originals. The old effects never bothered me and especially after having read so many books about the making of the show, I appreciate seeing the work they did back in the 60s. I appreciate how hard it was to get even the simplest effects shot done with the time and budget they had.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I prefer the originals. But at times when, for instance, I watched an episode with a friend on their Netflix (which had the new effects), I didn't mind, and they didn't even notice.

The episodes themselves, regardless of which version you pick, look amazing!

7. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Hmmm, I didn't realize I could switch back and forth...I thought each viewing option was 'loaded and locked' at start-up.

Now you have me curious Josh. Thanks!

8. Tama

Tama Stunt Coordinator

Tama
    I pulled out Wrath of Khan tonight. The film holds up well and like many is my favorite of the original 6 films. Best transfer as well.

R.I.P. Mr. Nimoy.

9. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    Really enjoyed watching El Dorado on blu last night.

Josh Steinberg's mention of Citizen Kane, on the previous page, reminded me, once again, that I haven't seen the film in over 40 years. So, having recently acquired it on Blu-ray, sure seems like it's about time to finally remedy the situation. Plus, really appreciate how Blu-ray reproduces excellent B&W photography.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    2/28/2015 Saturday

Star Trek: The Motion Picture DVD Dolby Digital 5.1

MV5BNzE4MTY1MTMyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk5MzI4OA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.

11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Last night I watched:

Star Trek: The Original Series - "This Side Of Paradise" (Season One episode - with the original effects and original mono track)

Fringe - "Over There, Part Two" (Season Two finale) - it's not Nimoy's first appearance as William Bell, but I think it's the one he gets the most screen time in.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Special Collector's Edition DVD version with scene revisions by Nicholas Meyer) - this movie was the first Star Trek anything I ever saw, it just felt right to put it on.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - "Unification" (the Blu-ray "movie" version). I made it to about where Part 1 ends but by this point it was 6am and sleep was calling. Will finish when I get home from work tonight.

So yeah, from these choices you can probably guess where my head's been at.

12. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

Until this morning I'd never gotten around to watching "Death on a Barge," season 3 of "Rod Serling's Night Gallery." Mr. Nimoy's directorial debut was at least visually interesting....

13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I've never seen it either - thanks for mentioning it, I'm gonna try to find a copy!

14. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    Saturday evening pizza-and-movie-with-friends night: first, from "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." Season One (on DVD) "The Project Strigas Affair" from November 1964, with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in major roles (!); then Blu-Rays of "John Wick", "Ghostbusters" (from the "Ghostbusters 1 & 2" set), and "The Band Wagon". I'm not feeling tired, so I think I'll watch "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock" on Blu-Ray to round out the evening.

15. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    Before popping in "Star Trek III", I remembered that the original DVD of "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" contained the 16-minute featurette made for the Director's Series laserdisc. It's a powerful dose of Leonard Nimoy in the prime of his career. I think I'll be showing it to everyone who drops by to watch a movie for the next while.

16. LoveHT

LoveHT Agent

Rocco
    Just finished watching a few episodes of Star Trek (original TV series). Currently watching Nascar. On tap for this evening is "Gone Girl."

Rocco

17. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I remembered seeing that featurette on the widescreen letterboxed VHS version I had as a kid! I only have the two-disc DVD of the film (not the original single disc DVD) but I wonder if it's on there. I like how he explained what letterboxing was, and why widescreen movies should be seen in widescreen. That made a huge impression on me as a kid.

Last night I continued in the same theme with the director's edition DVD of "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan", the second half of the Star Trek: The Next Generation "Unification" Blu-ray, and finally, "Yesteryear" from Star Trek: The Animated Series. I had never seen "Yesteryear" before but it was really touching. It also seemed very clear that the writers of the 2009 movie must've seen that at some point in their lives. I've only seen a couple of the animated episodes and I hadn't been wowed by what little I did see, but "Yesteryear" was fantastic, if there are more episodes on par with that one, I've really been missing out.

LoveHT likes this.
  18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    3/1/2015 Sunday

Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan (Directors Cut) DVD Dolby Digital 5.1

khan-poster.

2/28/15 Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a directors cut as well.

Tomorrow will be Star Trek: Search For Spock

LoveHT likes this.
  19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    3/2/2015 Monday

Star Trek: Search For Spock (Special Edition) DVD Dolby Digital 5.1

star_trek3.

LoveHT likes this.
  20. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    While it wasn't technically a weekend (though it was mine), I got two movies in yesterday:

- "Adam's Rib" - the Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn classic. (I'd love to get this on Blu-ray, the print used on the DVD wasn't terrible. I'd rather have an HD copy with a couple scratches and the occasional piece of dirt in it over the promise of a Blu-ray that may never come because of funding-based delays.) I think the movie holds up pretty well and is one of their funnier collaborations. George Cukor's direction is great too.

- "Once" - I had never seen this before, this was the low budget musical set in Dublin about two musicians who meet and start falling for each other (or at least each other's songs). I had seen the Broadway show but not the movie, and I was surprised to discovered that I really enjoyed the movie. The play didn't really do it for me, but I think the story worked a lot better as an independent film than a theatrical production, the intimacy of the real locations and low-key cinematography really worked for me here.

antmumford likes this.