What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
May 22nd, 2023 Monday

Deep Impact
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
Dolby TrueHD 5.1

Deep Impact 4K.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Darby and the Dead
Originally Released: 12/02/2022
Watched: 05/22/2023
4k digital streaming on Hulu via Roku Ultra

Darby and the Dead (2022) Poster

This had been sitting on my Hulu watchlist for months. With the news that Disney+ and Hulu were going to be dumping a ton of original content at the end of the week, I decided I'd better piss or get off the pot with this one.

Recommended?
full

Why Not? This Ghost-meets-Pygmalion teen comedy is tantalizing close to being a good movie, which makes its muddled character progressions and determination to stay in the shallow end all the more frustrating.

Riele Downs stars as Darby Harper, the social outcast of her school. When she was seven, a freak wave killed Darby's mother and almost killed her. But when she was revived on the beach, she came back with the ability to commune with the dead. Instead of being a normal teenager, she reserves her Friday nights to hold office hours for the dead, and devotes her free time to helping the spirits find peace and move on to whatever is next.

But when the most popular girl in school dies in a freak accident, her entire life gets turned upside down as her dead classmate turns Darby into her personal project.

The cast is strong. Downs carries the movie ably as Darby and lets her kindness shine through even when she's at her most unlikable. Auliʻi Cravalho has to be over the top for most of the movie as the recently departed queen bee of the school, but then let moments of more grounded humanity trickle through. Tony Danza was a real pleasant surprise as Gary, one of the spirits that Darby has known the longest, who is waiting patiently for his wife to live out the rest of her life so that they can move on to whatever is next together. There's a wonderful gentleness to his performance.

The problem is in the writing and the execution. The script feels like a Disney Channel original movie that was reconceived as a (slightly) edgier teen comedy at the eleventh hour. The stakes are mostly low, and the characters spend far too much time focused on trivial stuff that doesn't ultimately matter. Darby breaks the fourth wall throughout the movie with snarky narration, but the snarkiness didn't feel edgy enough or novel enough.

Moments don't get enough time to breathe, and the implications of the premise aren't mined for their full potential.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
You Hurt My Feelings is still in theaters, but no doubt will soon be on blu-ray and available streaming. Anyway, I liked this comedy-drama a lot. It's low-key, but I laughed quite a bit, and was sometimes moved by the drama. Strong cast, good writing. My rating: A-

you hurt my feelings.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You Hurt My Feelings is still in theaters, but no doubt will soon be on blu-ray and available streaming. Anyway, I liked this comedy-drama a lot. It's low-key, but I laughed quite a bit, and was sometimes moved by the drama. Strong cast, good writing. My rating: A-

View attachment 185819
Holofcener usually delivers. I follow her films with great interest.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
WHpCHlfjGYzlTxCPSG7Ba8kZsQ2GT1_large.jpg

I hate the cover, but I love the film.
I just got the blu-ray today, skimmed through and it looks sublime. (I don't mind the aspect ratio, since it was in this aspect ratio I first saw the film on TV and had recorded it on VCR)
I'm going to watch this tonight.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
WHpCHlfjGYzlTxCPSG7Ba8kZsQ2GT1_large.jpg

I hate the cover, but I love the film.
I just got the blu-ray today, skimmed through and it looks sublime. (I don't mind the aspect ratio, since it was in this aspect ratio I first saw the film on TV and had recorded it on VCR)
I'm going to watch this tonight.
This is a really warm, touching and amusing film with of course a wonderful performance at the center of the story. Despite the aspect ratio decision, which just about everyone not employed by Criterion derides, the picture and sound are quite nice. I know you will love the film as much or more than you ever have. Top rate Hepburn and director Lean classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks