What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight is The Breed. Looks a bit scary. We'll see.

p165794_v_v13_ai.jpg

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We picked out a movie for St. Patrick's Day and build the movie theme for the week around John Ford directing Maureen O'Hara.

How Green Was My Valley (1941)
Rio Grande (1950)
The Quiet Man (1952)

How Green Was My Valley is one of my all-time favorite films, and we watch it every few years. It beautifully captures a time of rapid change in Wales. There's a profound sense of loss without idealizing the past. There's a recognition that some things deserve to be lost. I think I appreciate that a little more each time I watch the movie.

Rio Grande may not be the best of Ford's cavalry trilogy, but it's lovely film filled with great moments and nice performances from Ford's stock company. There's a nice mix of humor and drama.

The Quiet Man is a predictable choice for St. Patrick's Day but for good reason. It's a tribute to a country he loved from a director at the top of his game.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
House of Cards (1968) - first time viewing of this very entertaining film, one of George Peppard's best. I was watching Maxine Audley in an Edgar Wallace Mystery and noticed that in her filmography she had worked with Peppard in House of Cards, which piqued my interest. The Imprint blu ray is very good, I bought mine from Amazon France with some other titles as it appeared to be on special offer (since rectified).

Inger Stevens makes a memorable first appearance and there is a witty exchange between Peppard and her maid. Orson Welles appears, and does his thing!
I've always enjoyed House Of Cards - I saw it when it first came out - and I was glad to be able to buy a French DVD with massively de-grained images. I'll have to think about upgrading.

Having watched Broderick Crawford the day before, I watched him again last night in The Flame where he plays a very confident blackmailer. I'd like this film to be remade without flash-backs and with a more charismatic leading lady. Woman Of Straw, which has a similar premise, cast Gina Lollobrigida as the female lead. That's a huge difference!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Navalny
Originally Released: 04/11/2022
Watched: 03/18/2023
1080P HD digital streaming on HBO Max, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Navalny (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Winner of the 2023 Oscar for Best Documentary Feature. The makers of this documentary had a front row seat and intimate access to Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny while he recovered in rural Germany following an assassination attempt made by operatives of Vladimir Putin using a military-grade nerve agent in August 2020. The whole thing feels like a Cold War era cloak and dagger plot, if the people behind the conspiracy were incompetent morons. It's an engaging story, and Navalny makes for a compelling central figure. It's easy to see the charisma which has made him so popular (and made him such a threat to Putin).

If I had an issue with the documentary, it's that the focus is a bit too narrow; it tells the story of the poisoning, the investigation into it, and the political aftermath. I would have liked to see more of Navalny's rise as a dissident, and particularly the innovative ways he used new media to get around the limitations of the state media.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Basically wall to wall collegiate basketball the past three days in the NCAA Men's Tournament. Some great games and a few one-sided ones these past three days. Looking forward to seeing who makes it to the Sweet 16 on Sunday and then the next rounds of the tournament at the end of the week.

If you told me I could only watch one type of sport for the rest of my days, it would be college basketball.

- Walter.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the original version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo again last night. For me, the film does not survive several viewings and I don't think nearly as highly of it as I did when I first saw it. I'd be interested to watch the remake to see if that is any better.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My wife asked me if I wanted to watch the Boston Strangler with her so I gave it 10 minutes and ended up watching it all. Keira Knightley was excellent as usual.

Today I am watching Larceny (1948) and then Don't Bother to Knock (1961), amiable comedy with Elke Sommer, Nicole Maurey and June Thorburn.

Pulled out Army of Shadows (1969) to watch later if time permits. Terrific, bleak film about the French Resistance, one of Melville's best.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the original version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo again last night. For me, the film does not survive several viewings and I don't think nearly as highly of it as I did when I first saw it. I'd be interested to watch the remake to see if that is any better.

I haven't seen the original version, so I can't offer any comparisons, but the Fincher version is solidly crafted and was an effective thriller. (I keep meaning to watch the original film, but there are a lot of viewing choices these days, so the backlog continues to back up. :) )

- Walter.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I haven't seen the original version, so I can't offer any comparisons, but the Fincher version is solidly crafted and was an effective thriller. (I keep meaning to watch the original film, but there are a lot of viewing choices these days, so the backlog continues to back up. :) )

- Walter.
Thank you for that. I'll now buy the Blu-ray disc of the new version although I'll wait several weeks before I watch it.

I planned yesterday to re-watch Valley Of The Dolls but my mood changed suddenly and I watched Cross Cross again instead: a superb Blu-ray of a superb movie.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched this on Saturday. Written and directed by Martin McDonagh, a few years before he did Three Billboards (you’ll recognize people who were in both films).
I had a great time watching it- doesn’t have the bleakness of his other films- the violence is over the top to the point of being fun, and I thought the actors really played off each other well.

Attachments

• 992A368D-B66A-4F3A-B27A-81F2297876C7.jpeg
    992A368D-B66A-4F3A-B27A-81F2297876C7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Army of Shadows (1969) - Melville's film, based on actual events, about the French resistance during WW2.

Marie-Octobre (1959) - set 15 years after the end of WW2, a resistance network meet to uncover the member who betrayed their leader.

The first time I've watched these two films together, both films feature Lino Ventura, Paul Meurisse and Serge Reggiani.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm having a Western season. Yesterday I watched the short version of The Alamo, and that reconfirmed to me that I prefer the longer version. I'm still very pleased with the Koch Blu-ray disc.

Today I watched again - for the third time in eighteen months - The Naked Spur. The Blu-ray disc is one of Warner Archive's greatest triumphs. Tomorrow I might have another viewing of Major Dundee.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Bonjour Tristesse (1958) - great cast, stunning locations, lovely cinematography, goodish melodrama. I somehow missed the Twilight Time blu ray and bought the French release (Carlotta). My only criticism is the unnecessary rear projection.

The Thin Man (1934) - I'm watching the Thin Man film series this week to decide which to upgrade to blu ray, I only have Goes Home on blu ray at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks