What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last night, for New Year's Eve:

91+TJJlqnHL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One new title from last night. But first, a recap of the movies I watched during the December Holiday Movie Challenge:

Father Christmas is Back
Originally Released: 11/07/2021
Watched: 12/10/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Father Christmas is Back (2021) Poster

Recommended?
No

Why not? This independently made British Christmas movie is oddly devoid of Christmas spirit and wastes a really good cast.

More thoughts here.

Little Women (2019)
Originally Released: 12/25/2019
Watched: 12/17/2022
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

Little Women (2019) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's most acclaimed novel dials back the nostalgic warmth and places new emphasis on the March sisters' adult lives. I loved it when I saw it in theaters, and I loved it tonight.

More thoughts here.

The Noel Diary
Originally Released: 11/24/2022
Watched: 12/22/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

The Noel Diary (2022) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether you're on board with a holiday romance build around infidelity.

More thoughts here.

The Holiday
Originally Released: 11/29/2006
Watched: 12/24/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku 3

The Holiday (2006) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether one of Nancy Meyers's weaker efforts is still strong enough with a large dollop of Christmas cheer and four mostly decent protagonists behaving mostly decently.

More thoughts here.

Spirited
Originally Released: 11/11/2022
Watched: 12/25/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku 3

Spirited (2022) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether you find the elaborately staged musical numbers in this fanciful extrapolation of Charles Dickens's classic Christmas tale are enjoyably festive or exhaustingly overwrought.

More thoughts here.

The Favourite
Originally Released: 11/23/2018
Watched: 12/31/2022
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

The Favourite (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This black comedy sets its vicious tale of social advancement in Queen Anne's court during the war of Spanish succession. Elevated by pitch perfect and dignity-abandoning performances from Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Nicholas Hoult.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Repeat Performance (1947) — We saw this noirish fantasy for the first time when it aired on Noir Alley about a year ago. I picked up the blu-ray when it was released but saved it to watch on New Year's Eve. Joan Leslie plays a stage actor, married to an alcoholic writer played by Louis Hayward, who gets to relive one terrible year in an attempt to change the outcome. There is a solid supporting cast with Richard Basehart being a particular standout. We both liked this a lot. I would have liked to see a little more exploration of the relationship between the Leslie and Hayward characters, but that's a minor complaint. There's an excellent, enthusiastic commentary from Nora Fiore along with a few other extras including an introduction by Eddie Muller and a discussion on the history of Eagle-Lion.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon

Many consider this second rate Astaire/Rogers, but I rate it towards the top. It has Rogers getting a dance of her own which is rare, and it includes their classic dance to "Lets Face the Music and Dance".
As an extra bonus it is fun to see a young Lucille Ball and Betty Grable in small roles and Harriet Hilliard Nelson (Ricky and Dave's mom) in a pretty big roll.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Ten Little Indians (1965) - my second favourite film version of this famous AC novel (after the 1945 film), with a teriffic cast.

The Golden Compass (2007) - beautiful film version of the Pullman novel, such a shame that the sequels weren't made.

Un flic (1972) - French heist film starring Delon & Deneuve, let down by some horrible model work during the train heist (which could easily be edited out).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 2nd, 2023 Monday

Wrath Of Man
4K Digital / Paramount +
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

wrath_of_man (1).jpg

Blacklight
HD Digital upconverted to 4K / Paramount +

Blacklight.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Menu
Originally Released: 11/18/2022
Watched: 01/03/2023
4K digital streaming on HBO Max via Roku Ultra

The Menu (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This satirical thriller isn't really plausible under real world conditions, but within its own logic it's a deliciously vicious time at the movies. Ralph Fiennes is stellar as the renowned chef orchestrating the evening's cuisine, and Anya Taylor-Joy provides him with a formidable adversary as the unexpected fly in the ointment of his carefully prepared masterpiece. Sharp writing, terrific cast, precise execution.

More thoughts (which may contain spoilers) available here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Menu
Originally Released: 11/18/2022
Watched: 01/03/2023
4K digital streaming on HBO Max via Roku Ultra

View attachment 169422

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This satirical thriller isn't really plausible under real world conditions, but within its own logic it's a deliciously vicious time at the movies. Ralph Fiennes is stellar as the renowned chef orchestrating the evening's cuisine, and Anya Taylor-Joy provides him with a formidable adversary as the unexpected fly in the ointment of his carefully prepared masterpiece. Sharp writing, terrific cast, precise execution.

More thoughts (which may contain spoilers) available here.
I didn't care for this dark comedy. Perhaps, I just wasn't in the mood for such a movie tonight.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon

I still only owned the original two sided DVD so I wanted to check out the upgraded 4K version. The grain is very high, but the movie is also over 40 years old and I understand it wasn't meant to be super sharp like todays superhero movies. All in all an acceptable upgrade.
I'm sure anyone who cares already has long ago formed their opinion of this film. Mine is that it is good but not great. I wish the Lex Luthor section had been played a little more serious, sometimes that part of the film gets a little too close to the Batman TV show. Reeves is great and to me he still owns the character even after all these years.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Your thoughts?
A serial killer (Nathan Pinzon) has been murdering little girls without leaving any clues. A nightclub singer (Olga Zubarry) witnesses a man in the shadows dumping what appears to be a child's body into a sewer drain but when questioned by the police, not wanting to get notoriety, she denies having seen anything. Directed by Roman Vinoly Barreto (THE BEAST MUST DIE), this little known Argentine film is the second remake of Fritz Lang's M following the 1951 Joseph Losey film. It's an unofficial remake as the Lang film is not credited and often referred to as "inspired" by the 1931 Lang movie. On its own, it's an often intense thriller though one finds the police unsavory as they arrest people they know are innocent and often brutalize them. The government prosecutor (Roberto Escalada) in particular is a hypocrite judging the morality of the singer (who's a working single mother) while forcing himself on her. Which leaves Zubarry's nightclub singer to place our empathy with. As the pedophile, Pinzon lacks the strength of Peter's Lorre's performance in M. With Nelly Panizza, Pascual Pelliciota and Gloria Castilla as the prosecutor's wheelchair bound wife, the most sympathetic character in the film.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Last Nights Feature Presentation

View attachment 169528

Finally cracked into the "Big Box" release from Arrow Video

The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin

AWESOME!
Growing up I had a drive-in that would play "Dusk ot Dawn"Kung Fu Festivals all filled with the Shaw Bros films!!! Great memories...me and my buddies would get stoned and make up our own dialogue!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watch again Riso Amaro (aka Bitter Rice), the once celebrated film that brought international fame to Silvana Mangano, of whom I'm a great admirer. The film itself doesn't really stand the test of time but Silvana Mangano most certainly does!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 5th, 2023 Thursday

Princess Bride
HD digital upconverted to 4K / Disney +

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed."

"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning. "

princess_bride.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
January 5th, 2023 Thursday

Princess Bride
HD digital upconverted to 4K / Disney +

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed."

"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning. "

View attachment 170166
"He's not Dead...he's just MOSTLY Dead"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks