What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 11th, 2022

The Expanse
Amazon Video
Season 1 / Episode 1 Dulcinea

The Exspanse by Amazon.jpg

Alien Invasion: S.U.M. 1
4K Digital / Amazon
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Alien Invasion SUM 1.jpg

November 12th, 2022

The Running Man (35th Anniversary 4K Blu-ray Steelbook)
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

The Running Man 4K Bluray.jpg

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

I do have the movie on 4K blu-ray but dislike the heavy use of DNR that kills the grain structure of the film. If there is a new transfer and released of Terminator 2 on 4K with the grain intact I will buy it!

Terminator Collection 2020a.jpg

Tomorrow Top Gun: Maverick on 4K blu-ray is back in rotation already as I will be bringing my dad over to watch the movie for the first time. The last time my father was over we watched 12 Strong.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm now working through several movies I picked up at bargain prices via the recent Kino Lorber sale.

Two days ago I watched Lady Ice on a pretty good Blu-ray disc. The film itself is an incoherent farrago of tired action movie cliches and wastes capable actors like Robert Duvall. I suspect that drowning within this mess is a workable story that needs a better writer and a better director. I realised, watching the film, that Jennifer O'Neill, like Virginia Mayo and Cyd Charisse, was one of those actresses who needed a strong director with good judgement. In Lady Ice, she did not have one.

Yesterday I watched two films which is unusual for me. The first was China, a good, fast moving film set during the Japanese invasion of China, starring Alan Ladd, Loretta Young and William Bendix. The action sequences were very well directed by John Farrow who owed a vote of thanks to his editor.

I also watched The Hot Spot, upgrading from a DVD. I don't think much of this film but I enjoy it, mainly because I like the two leading ladies, Jennifer Connelly and Virginia Madsen, and because the villain is a really sleazy, repellent SOB.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I'm now working through several movies I picked up at bargain prices via the recent Kino Lorber sale.

Two days ago I watched Lady Ice on a pretty good Blu-ray disc. The film itself is an incoherent farrago of tired action movie cliches and wastes capable actors like Robert Duvall. I suspect that drowning within this mess is a workable story that needs a better writer and a better director. I realised, watching the film, that Jennifer O'Neill, like Virginia Mayo and Cyd Charisse, was one of those actresses who needed a strong director with good judgement. In Lady Ice, she did not have one.

Yesterday I watched two films which is unusual for me. The first was China, a good, fast moving film set during the Japanese invasion of China, starring Alan Ladd, Loretta Young and William Bendix. The action sequences were very well directed by John Farrow who owed a vote of thanks to his editor.

I also watched The Hot Spot, upgrading from a DVD. I don't think much of this film but I enjoy it, mainly because I like the two leading ladies, Jennifer Connelly and Virginia Madsen, and because the villain is a really sleazy, repellent SOB.
The Hot Spot I don't think i ever seen.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Strange Affair (1944) - comedy mystery with sparkling dialogue. Stars Allyn Joslyn, Evelyn Keyes, Marguerite Chapman (a big favourite of mine), and Nina Foch. Should be released on blu ray.
I've never seen that film. I didn't know it was available for viewing.

I've just watched The Story Of A Woman which held my attention despite being pretty vapid. A young woman falls in love with an obvious flirt. She has a fling with him which is interrupted by his wife who tells her that he is a compulsive womaniser. She goes back home, meets a stable, responsible man and marries him. Later the flirt pursues her again and although she tells him she is not interested, she starts meeting him again. Why? He's a total jerk, utterly selfish and exactly as his wife had described. Why would a sensible, well-balanced woman jeopardise her marriage for him?

It was good to see Robert Stack looking extremely slim and fit. Annie Girardot was a strong screen presence in a small role.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 13th, 2022 Sunday

Top Gun Maverick
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos 7.2.4

Second viewing of the 4K disc only this time viewing it with my dad.

Top Gun pre4K.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Old Boys
Originally Released: 02/22/2019
Watched: 11/13/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Apple TV app, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Old Boys (2019) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac transplants the story from the French Army in the seventeenth century to a British boarding school in the eighties. At Caldermount College, where the young scions of the United Kingdom's affluent elite are taught to "act manfully", Amberson -- attending on scholarship -- is the poorest, weakest, gangliest, and least athletic boy in his year. His unbroken succession of days filled with almost Dickensian cruelty are broken up when he stumbles into the yard of Caldermount's new French teacher, and finds himself face to face with said French teacher's exotic, alluring teenage daughter Agnes. After Agnes misinterprets a key moment in her father's class, she falls for the handsome and athletic Winchester. Amberson encourages Winchester to woo Agnes with Amberson's words and creativity. The whole movie is a love letter to teenage romanticism, in all of its forms. Agnes loves the arts, Amberson loves Agnes, and Winchester loves the comradery and physical outlet that Caldermount provides. Each of the three has important things to teach each of the others. The period setting, and the nature of an all boys' boarding school, means that there is a real innocence to the stirrings of young love.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched both films on the new Flicker Alley Blu-ray combination disc: The Guilty and High Tide. I enjoyed both films and I'm glad they've been brought back from the dead.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Lady On A Train, part of a three title Kino-Lorber box-set. My admiration for Deanna Durbin increases with every movie of hers I see. I prefer her as a brunette and don't understand why she was sometimes presented as a blonde, as in this film.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Yesterday I watched Lady On A Train, part of a three title Kino-Lorber box-set. My admiration for Deanna Durbin increases with every movie of hers I see. I prefer her as a brunette and don't understand why she was sometimes presented as a blonde, as in this film.
This is my favourite film of hers, how good is the blu ray?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is my favourite film of hers, how good is the blu ray?
Pretty good. It certainly reveals Elwood (Woody) Bredells's mastery of light. The disc doesn't make you gasp with astonishment but there are no scratches, tears, marks, speckles, audio drop-outs or anything like that. The one reservation I have - and this may well be what the film makers wanted and is not a fault of the disc - is that when Deanna Durbin sings Give Me a Little Kiss in the nightclub, her voice is not loud enough.
The Sandpiper (1965) - great film for fans of any of the three leads (Eva Marie Saint for me). The DVD is very good and I am surprised this film hasn't received a blu ray release.
I saw this film when it first came out and I've never seen it since, not even on television. I'd love a Warner Archive Blu-ray disc. Oh, and yes, I'm a great admirer of Eva Marie Saint too.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants is avaliable on Tubi.very wholesome family entertainment.stars Alexis Bledel Blake Lively America Ferrera Amber Tamblyn.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Arabesque (1966) - not having seen this for decades, I bought the excellent KL blu ray. Unfortunately, the film is as dull as I remembered. In particular Gregory Peck is incredibly stiff (in a role envisaged for Cary Grant, who wisely declined) and has zero chemistry with Sophia Loren. Most of the film is shot through glass or via reflection, a terrible mess.

The Narrow Margin (1952) - the only comment necessary is, where is the blu ray?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Take One False Step yesterday. William Powell is one of my favorite movie stars and I'll watch him in anything. The film is a good exercise in suspense and benefits from a strong cast.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I watched Joy Ride recently and it was great.this movie has launched a franchise over 2 direct to dvd releases.Leelee Sobieski is so beautiful.and stars Paul Walker and Steve Zahn,RIP Paul Walker he left us way too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks