What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (7 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Murphy's War, a not very famous movie starring Peter O'Toole. I'll have to watch this again in the next few days because I didn't understand why a German submarine was hiding in a South American river during the last days of World War 2 and the crew was desperate to keep it a secret.

The U.K. Blu-ray disc from Indicator has pretty good images and some very interesting "extras" which I'll go through tomorrow. I did watch the interview with John Glen which I thought was excellent.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 24th, 2022 Saturday

Mission Imposible: Fallout
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos 7.2.4

Mission Impossible 7_21.JPG

Elvis
4K Digital / HBO Max / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos 7.2.4

Elvis.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Blood Alley, one of John Wayne's less celebrated movies. William Wellman was a very good director and he managed to get a good performance out of Lauren Bacall, of whom I'm not a big fan. This was a Batjac production and featured both Berry Kroeger and Anita Ekberg who co-starred in that other Batjac movie, Man In The Vault which presented Anita far more flatteringly.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We watched a few more Robert Aldrich films over the weekend:

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)
Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977)

I'd seen Baby Jane before, but it has been a long time and my wife didn't remember it at all. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are splendid as sisters and rivals. For me, the over-the-top performance by Davis does not quite reach the level of camp but I can see why it might for some people. It's a genuinely creepy movie that we might have saved for October. We watched the Warner Archive release.

Fight of the Phoenix was my favorite of these three. I had not seen it before, and we watched it on the recent Criterion blu-ray release. There's an ensemble cast here headed up by James Stewart who plays a pilot flying some oil workers and others across the North African desert. When the plane goes down in a sandstorm, they all have to work together to survive. Aldrich does a great job of ratcheting up the tension and there are some nice twists toward the end.

Twilight's Last Gleaming was another one I don't remember ever seeing. Burt Lancaster stars as a former Air Force general who seizes a nuclear base and holds it hostage. The cast is excellent, but the story is not. Although there are some nice moments here, the plot doesn't hold together well enough to be entirely successful. We watched the Olive Films release.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
We watched a few more Robert Aldrich films over the weekend:

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)
Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977)

I'd seen Baby Jane before, but it has been a long time and my wife didn't remember it at all. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are splendid as sisters and rivals. For me, the over-the-top performance by Davis does not quite reach the level of camp but I can see why it might for some people. It's a genuinely creepy movie that we might have saved for October. We watched the Warner Archive release.

Fight of the Phoenix was my favorite of these three. I had not seen it before, and we watched it on the recent Criterion blu-ray release. There's an ensemble cast here headed up by James Stewart who plays a pilot flying some oil workers and others across the North African desert. When the plane goes down in a sandstorm, they all have to work together to survive. Aldrich does a great job of ratcheting up the tension and there are some nice twists toward the end.

Twilight's Last Gleaming was another one I don't remember ever seeing. Burt Lancaster stars as a former Air Force general who seizes a nuclear base and holds it hostage. The cast is excellent, but the story is not. Although there are some nice moments here, the plot doesn't hold together well enough to be entirely successful. We watched the Olive Films release.
The flight of the phoenix,It's no compeittion.it's way better than the rest.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched the German Blu-ray disc of The Alamo. I never expected to be able to see this film looking and sounding so good, so I'm very pleased. Thank you Koch Media. I'll watch discs 2 and 3 in the next few days. I'd like some-one like Arrow or Indicator to release this transfer in an English language package.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Last night I watched the German Blu-ray disc of The Alamo. I never expected to be able to see this film looking and sounding so good, so I'm very pleased. Thank you Koch Media. I'll watch discs 2 and 3 in the next few days. I'd like some-one like Arrow or Indicator to release this transfer in an English language package.
Rockos Modern Life Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The baby sitters club the movie,one of the most funniest family movies of the 90's,a great movie that has stood the test of time,this movie is no exception.i have it on dvd and also on roku and tubi.tv.
My girl,one of the greatest family movies of all time,this one will make you cry.when he got stung by bees,it made me cry.it's also on tubi.tv.i have it on dvd.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yesterday I watched my old blu-ray of The Shawshank Redemption. It was only my second time watching it, since I missed it when it came out the the theaters. It still worked for me, and now I'm considering getting the 4K UHD for my next viewing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
An HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2022 Selection

My Best Friend's Exorcism
Originally Released: 09/17/2021
Watched: 10/06/2021
4k digital streaming on Amazon Prime Video via Roku Ultra

My Best Friend's Exorcism (2022) Poster

Recommended?
full

Why Not? This pastiche of Reagan-era teen horror movies plods along without much energy, and is neither funny enough to work as a horror comedy nor scary enough to work as a real horror movie.

More of my thoughts are available here.

An HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2022 Selection

Werewolves Within
Originally Released: 06/25/2021
Watched: 10/01/2022
1080P Blu-ray disc, upscaled to 4K via Panasonic DP-UB820

Werewolves Within (2021) Blu-ray Cover

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Despite a slow start, I had a lot of fun with this horror comedy, which features a stacked cast and a screenplay that starts with an Agatha Christie setup but then gets quite a bit wilder.[/FONT]

More of my thoughts are available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks