What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
Tonight: Shadow of a Doubt

1655689558393.png

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Obi-wan Kenobi
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / Disney +
Dolby Atmos 7.2.4

Pt 3, 4

ObiWan Kenobi.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery
Digital / Paramount +
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.2

S1/E15 Will You Take My Hand ?

Star Trek Discovery.jpg

Fantastic Beast: The Secrets Of Dumbledorf
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / HBO Max
Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D 7.2.4

fantastic beasts the secrets of dumbledore.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We recently watched the John Alton Film Noir Collection from Classic Flix -- three films shot by John Alton on one disc.

T-Men (1947)
Raw Deal (1948)
He Walked By Night (1948)

All three feature narration. Both T-Men and He Walked By Night are done in a pseudo-documentary style in which the narration establishes the story are based on real cases. In Raw Deal, we get the internal monologue of Claire Trevor character. I find that sort of narration to be hit-or-miss. In this case, one hit and two misses.

We both agreed He Walked By Night was our favorite. It aired on Noir Alley a few years ago, so there weren't any surprises but it's a well done police procedural sort of story with a early appearance by Jack Webb. The narration added to the intensity of the hunt for a cop killer.

We disagreed on our second pick. I preferred Raw Deal, starring Dennis O'Keefe as an escaped prisoner. I liked the pacing of the story and Raymond Burr's performance as a crime boss. My wife found the ending "too sappy." The narration of the thoughts of Claire Trevor's character didn't add much.

My wife preferred T-Men about Department of Treasury agents investing a counterfeiting ring. It's an exciting story, but I was more distracted by the narration than she was. I thought it hurt the movie.

I'm a big fan on Anthony Mann's westerns, so it's nice to have these noir films on blu-ray. Mann is the credited director on the first two and worked with credited director Alfred Werker on the third.
I love all three films and never minded the narration in all three movies. It was Jack Webb's work in "He Walked the Night" which greatly influenced his future endeavor with "Dragnet".

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Screened the newest SCREAM tonight. It was just so so. Nothing special. I read they are already filming Scream #6. Since the latest one did 140 million, I'm not surprised.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic World: Dominion
Originally Released: 06/10/2022
Watched: 06/20/2022
In theaters: 2:50 PM matinee showing on Screen 2 at Regal Colonie Center 13 & RPX

Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? You're looking for out of the experience. The ending of Fallen Kingdom set the stage to finally dive into the darker implications of John Hammond's mad science experiment. This movie sidesteps those interesting questions for a sort bizarre critique of corporate agriculture and provides answers that will be comforting to the younger members of the audience while being completely implausible for the adults in the theater. More even than Trevorrow's previous entry into this franchise, it's an adventure movie for kids rather than a horror movie for adults. On the plus side, the large cast of characters are mostly juggled well, and there are a number of entertaining and well-executed set pieces. But it definitely owes more to the Roland Emmerich school of filmmaking than the Steven Spielberg school of filmmaking.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Kimi
Originally Released: 02/10/2022
Watched: 06/21/2022
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

Kimi (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This taut thriller benefits from one of David Koepp's best scripts, pitch perfect direction from Steven Soderbergh, and a complex yet magnetic central performance from Zoë Kravitz. It's The Conversation meets Rear Window, updated for the 21st century. And at under 90 minutes, not a single moment is wasted. One of the best thrillers I've seen in a long, long time.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Originally Released: 05/02/2022
Watched: 06/23/2022
4K digital streaming on Disney+ ("IMAX Enhanced" Ratio)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) IMAX Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether Sam Raimi's distinctive style of filmmaking is an enticing enough draw for you, and whether you're all caught up on "WandaVision" from Disney+ and Spider-Man: No Way Home from Sony. A movie that is both largely inaccessible to new audiences, and oddly risk-adverse when it comes to seizing the possibilities that are opened up by a multiverse.

My thoughts from when I first saw the movie in theaters (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks