What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I often buy a new Blu ray iteration of a movie I already have on DVD after reading about how wonderful it looks. This lead me to dig out my DVD copy of "The Pajama Game".

I mainly watch discs on either the 45' TV in the main living room or the 65' in our basement. I think it may be due to the size of my TVs or my 70 year old eyes, but I rarely really see enough differences between the two formats to warrent the upgrade. Mind you if the film has been restored for Blu ray with lots of new extras I am in. I also only purchase new films and TV shows on Blu.

Back to "The Pajama Game". The image on DVD was certainly really acceptable to me. Also, it must me 10 years since I saw it last and 10 years before I see it again! I will not be upgrading. (Even though this DVD was borrowed and copied on DVD-R from the public library).
I re-watched the DVD of The Pajama Game immediately before ordering the Blu-ray disc. The DVD is very good and I can understand your decision not to upgrade. The Blu-ray disc is an upgrade but not overwhelmingly so.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This afternoon I watched To Catch a Thief off the Amazon Prime app. Amazon lists it as UHD, but watching it through the Firestick 4K, I only got 1080p. Looked nice, and the rooftops were a blue/green mixture as opposed to the deep green of my Blu-ray disc. Maybe I should have watched it through my TV's Prime app. Might have had a better chance getting 4K through it. That Firestick is sometimes quirky.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
IMG_E9911.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This afternoon I watched To Catch a Thief off the Amazon Prime app. Amazon lists it as UHD, but watching it through the Firestick 4K, I only got 1080p. Looked nice, and the rooftops were a blue/green mixture as opposed to the deep green of my Blu-ray disc. Maybe I should have watched it through my TV's Prime app. Might have had a better chance getting 4K through it. That Firestick is sometimes quirky.
@Matt Hough Be careful watching movies on Amazon Prime as many of them are mislabled as 4KUHD. This issue has been a topic of discussion in the thread linked below. There are even some SD movies that are listed as UHD on Amazon. IMO, it's by far the worst streaming service.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Bullfighter And The Lady, not a film I watch very often. The Olive Blu-ray disc is pretty good although there are several shots - which I assume were inserts - which have noticeably inferior picture quality. It's always a pleasure to see Joy Page who played the Bulgarian refugee harassed by the lecherous policeman in Casablanca. Robert Stack and Gilbert Roland are two actors I like a lot and I thought John Bamber did well with a "nothing" part.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've seen Gebo and the Shadow. I like the director and the cast.
It was Oliveira's final film. He was a 103 when he directed it! Surely that's one for the Guinness book! It's based on a play and Oliveira keeps it like a filmed play. The camera is stationary through most of the film as the actors go through their paces.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We recently watched Kino Lorber's Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema IV (we have some catching up to do).

Calcutta (1946)
An Act of Murder (1948)
Six Bridges to Cross (1955)

I should have liked Calcutta more than I did. There's nothing wrong with the cast and crew -- it stars Alan Ladd, Gail Russell, and William Bendix with John Farrow directing -- but the story is plodding. My wife said it was "okay" but it literally put me to sleep. I'll try it again at some point.

An Act of Murder and Six Bridges to Cross were much more enjoyable. Both of us preferred An Act of Murder which has the great Fredric March starring as a by-the-book small town judge who is forced to confront the complexities of the law and human motivations when his wife (Florence Eldridge) falls ill. There's a good bit of melodrama to this film noir, and in her commentary to this one and the next Samm Deighan makes an argument for a broad definition of noir. It may be a bit overwrought in the final scene, but this is a fine film. March is great at portraying the multiple facets of his character -- the stern judge and the loving family man.

Six Bridges to Cross has Tony Curtis as a young hood and George Nader as the cop who tries to set him straight in this heist film loosely based on the Boston Brinks robbery of 1950. There's a nice, slow build here with Sal Mineo playing the younger version of the Tony Curtis character. Curtis and Nader are both excellent in their roles, but the story hangs on the relationship between the two and I didn't feel like I got quite enough of that. A good film; I just wanted more of it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Mark Of The Renegade, a swashbuckler set in old Mexico. I enjoy this handsomely photographed film a lot. It has a marvellous cast including Ricardo Montalban, Gilbert Roland, Andrea King, J. Carroll Naish and - for me - most of all Cyd Charisse. The French region-free DVD provides de-grained images. I hope someone like Kino releases this film on Blu-ray disc.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Today I watched Mark Of The Renegade, a swashbuckler set in old Mexico. I enjoy this handsomely photographed film a lot. It has a marvellous cast including Ricardo Montalban, Gilbert Roland, Andrea King, J. Carroll Naish and - for me - most of all Cyd Charisse. The French region-free DVD provides de-grained images. I hope someone like Kino releases this film on Blu-ray disc.
Are the French subtitles optional or burned in?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Are the French subtitles optional or burned in?
I'm sorry to say they're burned in: or at least the Blu-ray player I was using couldn't remove them. I'm having a major home refurbishment at present and I don't have use of my normal players. In a few weeks time I'll try again with a more recent Blu-ray player. Better still, let's have this film out on a Blu-ray sourced from an immaculate new 4K transfer!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Les Félins (aka Joy House aka The Love Cage, although I prefer the French title) - first viewing of this excellent thriller, filmed in English and dubbed into French (both versions are on the French blu ray). A down on his luck Alain Delon is visited by two angels, Jane Fonda and Lola Albright (in one of her few films). With touches of Hitchcock and Welles, this is the best first viewing of a film I've seen in a long time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Les Félins (aka Joy House aka The Love Cage, although I prefer the French title) - first viewing of this excellent thriller, filmed in English and dubbed into French (both versions are on the French blu ray). A down on his luck Alain Delon is visited by two angels, Jane Fonda and Lola Albright (in one of her few films). With touches of Hitchcock and Welles, this is the best first viewing of a film I've seen in a long time.
What? How? Where? I saw this film when it first came out but never since. I'd love to see it again.

I had another viewing of Buccaneer's Girl today. The Kino disc provides a splendid representation of this colorful movie. This is the third film with Andrea King I've watched in the past week or so.

radiorich

Auditioning
Real Name
rich
The Matrix (1999): Since last night's movie had me thinking about The Matrix and I recently got the trilogy in 4K on sale on iTunes for $15(!) I figured it was time. I probably haven't seen this movie in ten years. I forgot how freakin' awesome it is. Really, just a blast and a half. I forgot about the little bits of twisted humor in it too. The 4K looks spectacular, except a few isolated shots that were completely screwed up. I don't know if it's a flaw in my TV, but I've streamed a lot of DV material, and I've never seen this before. In certain shots, it's like the blacks were dark grey and the rest of the image was solarized. It's impossible to miss, and it often alternated repeatedly between shots, where one looked fine and the other was completely screwed up.
Same here it has been years !

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We recently watched the John Alton Film Noir Collection from Classic Flix -- three films shot by John Alton on one disc.

T-Men (1947)
Raw Deal (1948)
He Walked By Night (1948)

All three feature narration. Both T-Men and He Walked By Night are done in a pseudo-documentary style in which the narration establishes the story are based on real cases. In Raw Deal, we get the internal monologue of Claire Trevor character. I find that sort of narration to be hit-or-miss. In this case, one hit and two misses.

We both agreed He Walked By Night was our favorite. It aired on Noir Alley a few years ago, so there weren't any surprises but it's a well done police procedural sort of story with a early appearance by Jack Webb. The narration added to the intensity of the hunt for a cop killer.

We disagreed on our second pick. I preferred Raw Deal, starring Dennis O'Keefe as an escaped prisoner. I liked the pacing of the story and Raymond Burr's performance as a crime boss. My wife found the ending "too sappy." The narration of the thoughts of Claire Trevor's character didn't add much.

My wife preferred T-Men about Department of Treasury agents investing a counterfeiting ring. It's an exciting story, but I was more distracted by the narration than she was. I thought it hurt the movie.

I'm a big fan on Anthony Mann's westerns, so it's nice to have these noir films on blu-ray. Mann is the credited director on the first two and worked with credited director Alfred Werker on the third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
auditoriumchair
Recent bookmarks