What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A while back I purchased a number of titles solely because they were directed by a favorite director of me and Peg's--Lasse Hallström.

We watched one of those the other night: The Hoax (from 2006).

51lgdE1tQVL._AC_.jpg

This film features a really solid cast. A pretty straightforward telling of the tale of author Clifford Irving who falsely claimed he had written an authorized biography of Howard Hughes. Straightforward...except for the unbelievable basis of the story itself (to think that someone could just concoct a straight-up lie and then convince a major publisher to pay a lot of money for it. Wow.) It is to the credit of Gere, Hallström and writer of the screenplay, William Wheeler, that a film whose protagonist has such a dearth of morals can be as compelling as it was.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And...Peg and I continued with our John Cusack film festival by having our first-ever screening of the 2001 film Serendipity.

220px-Serendipity_poster.jpg

Outside of the repeated comedic hook of "near misses" as the leads meet cute (in flashback at the beginning of the film) and then keep coming ever-so-close to meeting again, this was a nice little romcom with a pair of engaging leads. It was just too bad Cusack and Beckinsale didn't actually share more screen time together.

I have always known that Beckinsale was a beautiful creature, but realized that this was actually the first film of hers I had ever seen! 😲

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'd be curious to

I'd be curious to know about that aspect ratio. Paramount's Sabrina was filmed in 1953 and shown (properly) in widescreen in 1954 before Paramount switched to VistaVision, so maybe The Naked Jungle might be in a similar situation. Would Bob know for sure?

Bob has 1.66 on his web site.

1n2.jpg

1642533154731.png

1n.jpg

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Just because it was shown on a wide screen movie theater doesn't necessarily mean it was filmed in widescreen.
Did you mean filmed for widescreen? The films that are cropped to 1.66, 1.75, 1.85 are filmed at 1.33 and cropped by the projectionist.

Looking at the movie, there is plenty of empty space to crop it to 1.66.

1n133.jpg

1n3.jpg

1n2.jpg

1n.jpg

From the 3-D Film Archive web site:

June 25 – RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND – United Artists – 1.75

June 25 – JACK SLADE – Allied Artists – 1.66

June 26 – THINGS WE CAN DO WITHOUT – MGM short – 1.75

June 29 – THE BIGAMIST – United Artists – 1.66

June 29 – THE NAKED JUNGLE – Paramount – 1.66

June 29 – GERALDINE – Republic – 1.66

June 29 – THE BLACK GLOVE – Exclusive Films Ltd./Lippert – 1.8

June 30 – PARDON MY BACKFIRE - Columbia short – 3-D, 1.85

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did you mean filmed for widescreen? The films that are cropped to 1.66, 1.75, 1.85 are filmed at 1.33 and cropped by the projectionist.

Looking at the movie, there is plenty of empty space to crop it to 1.66.

View attachment 125295

View attachment 125296

View attachment 125299

View attachment 125300

From the 3-D Film Archive web site:

June 25 – RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND – United Artists – 1.75

June 25 – JACK SLADE – Allied Artists – 1.66

June 26 – THINGS WE CAN DO WITHOUT – MGM short – 1.75

June 29 – THE BIGAMIST – United Artists – 1.66

June 29 – THE NAKED JUNGLE – Paramount – 1.66

June 29 – GERALDINE – Republic – 1.66

June 29 – THE BLACK GLOVE – Exclusive Films Ltd./Lippert – 1.8

June 30 – PARDON MY BACKFIRE - Columbia short – 3-D, 1.85
What I meant, I don't think it was intended to be shown in widescreen by the actual filmmakers. Except for Bob's site, I can't find any other documentation that suggests otherwise. Furthermore, your screen caps have suggested to me that 1.66 doesn't really add anything of substance. IMO, the Blu-ray's image looks perfectly fine in 1.37 ratio. By the way, are those screen caps from the DVD or this new Blu-ray?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
What did you think of it, Dana? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: I've been curious about the title.
:thumbsup:It kind of follows up on the the first one if you liked it, and kind of builds more into the spider-verse so maybe Marvel/Disney has an outlet for going "Darker" with some of their properties . It's an entertaining popcorn flick just like the first one.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. I didn't realize it was the sequel. I haven't seen the first one either.

I couldn't tell from the advertising if these things were more horror, comic book, comedy...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched The Clairvoyant which is a pretty feeble film that creaks a bit. Apart from having a young Claude Rains and Fay Wray as the leads and Felix Aylmer as a prosecuting counsel, the movie is mainly of interest because the central idea was reworked in the much better film Night Has A Thousand Eyes.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Originally Released: 09/03/2021
Watched: 01/19/2022
4K digital streaming on Disney+ ("IMAX Enhanced" Ratio)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Easily the best of the post-Endgame Marvel Studios movies, or at least the best of the ones that don't feature Spider-Man. Wonderfully imaginative world building, knockout fight scenes with immensely creative choreography, and a story anchored in family trauma and genuine friendship. Definitely held up on the second viewing, too.

My only regret is that the "IMAX enhanced" 1.9:1 aspect ratio isn't available on 4k disc.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Chain Lightning, which doesn't seem to be getting much attention. The disc is, of course, excellent.

I hadn't seen the film for decades and I don't think I've ever saw it on a big screen. I had forgotten just about the whole movie! In some respects it's a fairly routine movie but it was well made, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I bought the disc.

Today I'll probably watch Bachelor In Paradise.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The Long Riders (1980) — We planned on watching a couple of Walter Hill westerns this week, but the two disc KL release of The Long Riders is so packed with extras that it took us several nights just to get through this film. In what could have been just a marketing gimmick, several families of acting brothers (Keach, Carradine, Quaid, Guest) play brothers associated with the James-Younger gang. I remember seeing this movie in the theater when it came out. I never made much of an effort to seek it out for additional viewings, but it stuck with me. It's a good film with more attention to the real history than most versions of the Jesse James story. There are solid performances with David Carradine being particularly strong in the role of Cole Younger. The problem is that there are so many characters and the film only runs 100 minutes. I would have liked a little more time to get to know the characters. In an interview on the bonus disc, one of the Keach brothers indicated there was about 20 additional minutes they wanted to include, but the studio insisted on a shorter film. I wonder what might have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
problemwithstory
Recent bookmarks