What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First time viewing for Peg and I last night:

lf

We enjoyed the film very much. It ain't easy to take a character who commits such actions and continue to make them someone you might root for and find likeable enough. Laughton was unbelievably good and Raines was more than serviceable in her part. A nice film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Suspense, a film starring the ice-skating Belita, Barry Sullivan, Albert Dekker and Bonita Granville. Narratively, the film is very weak but the director, the camera department and the set designer make diamonds out of paste. If someone with a gift for plot had done a re-write, this film would have been something really special. As it is, it's an interesting misfire.
After watching Suspense, I decided to watch another black-and-white movie with a weak story but high quality visuals: Street Of Shadows (Aka Shadow Man) This minor film stars the underrated Cesar Romero plus Kay Kendall and Simone Silva, she of the topless stunt with Robert Mitchum. Ms Silva is a strong screen presence and looks a bit like that other U. K. glamour import Laya Raki.

Despite being a bit implausible, the film is interesting and borrows a plot idea from I Wake Up Screaming. The Region 2 DVD from Network has superb picture quality.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
This week has been crazy with me trying to View some of my end of the year purchases, so here goes

All: First Time Viewings

Monday

1642196020356.png
1642196051073.png

What a complete and total blown out mess, not that it will happen, i wonder who did the quality check on this disc and approved it to be pressed. Speaking only for myself, i can wait for a better release than what was put out. I know its not going to get redone but I found a better looking copy on YouTube, that's a shame.

Tuesday Night

1642196318425.png

Just beautiful, a perfect release, and i watched the whole package Warner Night at the Movies,

Thursday Night

1642196456292.png

The Boxer From Shantung

So far, Arrow is knocking it out of the park with this great release, like the disc is loaded.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday afternoon, I received the Imprint All Region Blu-ray. So far I've watched it twice and though I don't think it's derived from a new scan, it does look significantly better than the iTunes HD digital. It looks even better when compared to the DVD. God, I love this film! Eleanor Parker has never looked more beautiful than in this movie. Furthermore, I love her character and she was strong enough to stand up to Heston's character. As I watch this movie now, there is a lot more humor and sexual innuendo that I probably missed when I first watched this movie as a 9-10 year old on my parents old black and white TV circa 1964. :) Another thing, I always thought this movie was filmed widescreen because it started filming in June, 1953. However, the more I looked at the framing today on the Blu-ray at 1.37 ratio, I think it might have been shown in widescreen at the movie theaters in 1954, but was actually filmed in 1.33 like "Shane" and "Elephant Walk" before Paramount switched to VistaVision with "White Christmas".

1642237995066.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd be curious to
Yesterday afternoon, I received the Imprint All Region Blu-ray. So far I've watched it twice and though I don't think it's derived from a new scan, it does look significantly better than the iTunes HD digital. It looks even better when compared to the DVD. God, I love this film! Eleanor Parker has never looked more beautiful than in this movie. Furthermore, I love her character and she was strong enough to stand up to Heston's character. As I watch this movie now, there is a lot more humor and sexual innuendo that I probably missed when I first watched this movie as a 9-10 year old on my parents old black and white TV circa 1964. :) Another thing, I always thought this movie was filmed widescreen because it started filming in June, 1953. However, the more I looked at the framing today on the Blu-ray at 1.37 ratio, I think it might have been shown in widescreen at the movie theaters in 1954, but was actually filmed in 1.33 like "Shane" and "Elephant Walk" before Paramount switched to VistaVision with "White Christmas".

View attachment 125032
I'd be curious to know about that aspect ratio. Paramount's Sabrina was filmed in 1953 and shown (properly) in widescreen in 1954 before Paramount switched to VistaVision, so maybe The Naked Jungle might be in a similar situation. Would Bob know for sure?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd be curious to

I'd be curious to know about that aspect ratio. Paramount's Sabrina was filmed in 1953 and shown (properly) in widescreen in 1954 before Paramount switched to VistaVision, so maybe The Naked Jungle might be in a similar situation. Would Bob know for sure?
The thing is that filming for "Sabrina" began in late September, 1953. By late September, the filming for "The Naked Jungle" had been completed for several weeks. Furthermore, you could tell by the framing that "Sabrina" should have been in widescreen. Also I found this tidbit on AFI's site about "The Naked Jungle".

"Although HR production charts list the picture as widescreen, no other source mentions the process."

aptiana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Crawley
Youtube clips

Dr Who 'The Chase' Daleks versus Mechanoids 1965
Dr Who 'Pyramids of Mars' Tom Baker versus Mummies and Sutekh 1975
Dr Who 'The Dalek Masterplan' 1865/66

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I loved, and was terrified, by The Naked Jungle when I saw it on the big screen when I was a child circa 1954-55. I probably saw it more than once. I remember the vivid colors and the sound of those voracious ants. The movie's title in Spanish was: Marabunta!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The thing is that filming for "Sabrina" began in late September, 1953. By late September, the filming for "The Naked Jungle" had been completed for several weeks. Furthermore, you could tell by the framing that "Sabrina" should have been in widescreen. Also I found this tidbit on AFI's site about "The Naked Jungle".

"Although HR production charts list the picture as widescreen, no other source mentions the process."
Very reasonable.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 15th, 2022 Saturday

After The Thin Man (1936)
TCM / HD Digital

After The Thin Man.jpg

The Book Of BobaFett
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / Disney +
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

BobaFett.jpg

I Am Mother
HD DIgital upconverted to 4K / Netflix
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

I Am Mother.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last night:

Dune steelbook.jpg
I am one of the lucky few who got an order in for the steelbook of Dune before it was completely sold out. While I am glad I got one, I am sorry that more people weren't able to get this gorgeous release. I love a good steelbook, but I don't pay the surcharge too often, especially because I can't use the 4K disc. I really wanted this one though.

I loved the movie in theaters but didn't get around to watching it again before it left HBO Max, so tonight was my second time watching it. I found another viewing especially rewarding. Of course, watching on my television can't replicate the big screen experience. But I still found myself excited and enraptured by this story because the character work is so strong and the world that they live in is so throughly detailed. The passion that Denis Villeneuve has for this story is palpable throughout, and that helps him greatly in pulling off something this sweeping and complex.

I have no previous exposure to Dune before this film, and while I didn't have a problem following the basic story the first time, I did find myself taking notice of different details this time. I expect I'll get even more out of it the next time I decide to rewatch it.

The entire cast is terrific here, but I think Timothee Chalamet deserves special credit for making Paul a relatable character. This film is framed as his journey through this unfamiliar world, and he is the audience surrogate. If we weren't invested in Paul, the whole movie wouldn't work. Chalamet gives an understated performance that really helps ground the movie emotionally even while the world around him is so different from our own or even his own.

I had another great experience visiting Arrakis again tonight. I hope the second half next year is just as good as this film is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Rushmore
Originally Released: 12/11/1998
Watched: 01/16/2022
1080P HD digital streaming on Apple TV app, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Rushmore (1998) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Rebounding from the box office failure of Bottle Rocket, Wes Anderson's second feature began to really develop his signature style and began his long-standing association with Bill Murray. It's a supremely odd coming of age story, with a supremely odd protagonist, who begins the story believing he's got it all figured out, only for his values to change completely by the end of the movie. Max Fischer, our aggressively extroverted protagonist, marches through life with an irrepressibility than is at times admirable and at other times deeply repugnant. A wonderful cast from top to bottom, led by a very young Jason Schwartzman. Other particular standouts: Olivia Williams, radiant as the elementary school teacher who carefully navigates a series of undesired advances; Seymour Cassel as Max's warm and patient father; Brian Cox as the headmaster whose fondness for Max is exceeded only by his exasperation for Max; and Sara Tanaka as Margaret Yang, another precocious teenager who knows what she wants and isn't shy about pursuing it.

One thing I never noticed before: Alexis Bledel is a featured extra in a number of scenes set at the local public high school.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Having had a dismal failure with a modern film, The Constant Gardener - I lasted 20 minutes - I went back to my backlog and watched the Warner Archive disc of The Harvey Girls. Being a big fan of Cyd Charisse, I especially noticed how young she seemed and how pretty. Angela Lansbury also at a young age was already a formidable screen presence.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Blinded by the Light
Originally Released: 08/16/2019
Watched: 01/17/2021
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

Blinded by the Light (2019) Poster

This was one I meant to catch in theaters, but didn't, so I bought it blind (pun intended) on digital when it was on sale a while back.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This is a formulaic picture in many ways, but it succeeds in a number of difficult ways: as celebration of Bruce Springsteen's music and its appeal to the economically downtrodden and the parts of society that feel forgotten or left behind; as a negotiation between two different generations and two very different cultural reference points; and how we are shaped by the people and places in our lives, and how what we give of ourselves determines what we get back from the community around us.

More thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks