What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Last night was Thirteen Ghosts (remake) 35mm, flat, SDDS. Great track.

13.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At our marathon gift-wrapping sessions the past couple nights:

(Always good to pick the longer films...)

61uUnmYG63L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

(R)__LoveActually(3).jpg

And the film which has truly become the "go to" Christmas film for me and Peg each holiday season. We have grown to love Remember the Night. Thanks goodness for its restoration and distribution by Paramont and TCM.

lf

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I have also found time to work into my schedule:

lf

A few months ago my plasma died and I upgraded to a TCL 4k set. In the interim I jumped on a great sale on the 4k LotR set and have been champing at the bit to get started. It has been years since I've watched them all the way through. I was quickly reminded how good these films are. Seeing them in 4k is nothing short of a revelation.

I watched the Extended Edition, natch.

Now I just gotta find the time to sneak in The Two Towers and Return of the King while they are all still fresh in my mind.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And while wrapping Peg's presents this afternoon, I watched the extended edition of:

TheLordOfTheRingsTheTwoTowers_onesheet_teaser_TowersStyle_USA-3.jpg

I know I mentioned in my last post how great the PQ of these films are on my new HD TV. But I've also got to rave about the Atmos tracks. I cranked both of these films and had such a good time! I am really looking forward to my upcoming viewing of RotK and the Battle of the Pelennor Fields! :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 22nd, 2021 Wednesday

Die Hard
4K Blu-ray / HDR
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Die Hard 4K.jpg

Mirical On 34th Street (1994)
HD Digital upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

I do enjoy seeing John Hamond play Santa sparing no expense of course, LOL. Richard Attenborough makes a nice Santa alright but it just doesn't have the same impact as the original 1947 version which for me is the one to watch. That being said the 1994 version is still enjoyable but not a replacement to the 1947 version.

Miricle On 34th Street 1994.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I are ALL IN on the 1951 A Christmas Carol. We are watching it tonight. too.

scrooge-5.png

We are watching my recently purchased Renown DVD which contains the recent BFI restoration of the film. But I plan on switching over to the VCI Blu-ray midway through because I am not very pleased with the DVD image. I'll hear Mrs. Dilber say her oft-missing line and then swap discs.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 23rd, 2021 Thursday

The Santa Clause
4K Digital / Disney + / Dolby Vision
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

The Santa Clause.jpg

December 24th, 2021 Friday

White Christmas
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Enjoyed the Classic White Christmas with family during our small family Christmas Dinner. This is a classic that never seems to get old and I love to watch it every Christmas season.

whitechristmas.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
On the twenty-fourth day of
#25DaysOfChristmas

my home theater gave to me:
Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas
Originally Released: 12/01/2021
Watched: 12/24/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on the Roku Channel, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas (2021) Poster

Picking up where the second season finale left off, Zoey and her family navigate their first Christmas since Zoey's father died, while Zoey's love interest struggles with his own extraordinary new circumstances.

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether you were a fan of "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" during its run on NBC. While the exposition-heavy opening scene gives newbies all of the backstory they need to know to follow the plot, these characters went through a whole lot during the show's run and the experience of this movie is greatly enhanced by going into it having two seasons' of emotional investment in these characters.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 25th, 2021 Saturday

The Matrix Resurrections
4K Digital / HBO Max / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos to Auro 7.1.4

The Matrix Ressurections.jpg

Jurassic Park: The Lost World
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
DTS-X 7.1.4

20210523_144815.jpg

Holiday Inn
HD Digital upconverted to 4K
Stereo

Holiday Inn.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finding You
Originally Released: 05/14/2021
Watched: 12/25/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on Amazon Prime Video via Roku 3

Finding You (2021) Poster

Recommended?
No

Why not? Absolutely gorgeous location shooting in Ireland and a strong supporting cast (Vanessa Redgrave, Patrick Bergin, Tom Everett Scott, and Saoirse-Monica Jackson) can't overcome Hallmark Channel-caliber writing and Lifetime Channel-caliber acting from the romantic leads.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Don't Look Up
Originally Released: 12/24/2021
Watched: 12/26/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Don't Look Up (2021) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? While more than a little heavy handed, Adam McKay's latest is a scathing satire of our current moment. Much as Stanley Kubrick took the premise of Peter George's novel Red Alert and used it to satirize Cold War insanity, McKay takes the premise of Deep Impact and Armageddon and uses it to satirize the world's response (or lack thereof) to the climate crisis.

Dr. Strangelove is far and away the superior movie, because the humor actually lands. I'm not sure this one succeeds as a comedy; it's often too grim to be truly funny. But I think it's still worth seeing, as a bleakly accurate diagnosis of the forces that currently (collectively) ail us.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I was able to complete today my hat trick of Peter Jackson's LotR Trilogy.

LordoftheRings-ReturnoftheKingPoster_1200x1200.jpg

It is hard to believe, sometimes, that this trilogy began twenty years ago!

And I am always so pleased that RotK won the Oscar for BP. The EE of RotK is SO long (its kinda crazy how long it is). But rarely does it drag and it just has that feel of being appropriately long considering its status ad an "epic."

It was great to revisit these three films (and to be able to do it in 4k with Atmos).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And...Peg and I are rounding out our Christmas titles with a couple of annual favorites:

98cd409b-cfa9-4c7f-b341-c50ac89667b3_1.65c217634260c1f0b2df4180affd8666.jpeg

41Zb5EKvlnL._AC_.jpg

Love 'em both. Still not sure why the Shop Around the Corner was set in Budapest. It always seems to me like it would have been better off being set in some US city/town. :D

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
We are watching my recently purchased Renown DVD which contains the recent BFI restoration of the film. But I plan on switching over to the VCI Blu-ray midway through because I am not very pleased with the DVD image. I'll hear Mrs. Dilber say her oft-missing line and then swap discs.
Stung by this comment about the picture quality of the Renown DVD, I re-watched this last night. I don't much like the film so I don't watch it very often and if Alistair Sim wasn't there, I wouldn't watch it ever. I think the images on the DVD are pretty good and let us appreciate the deep focus shots of the interiors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks