What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 11th, 2021 Saturday

Lost In Space
Netflix
Season 3 / Episode 1 Three Little Birds
Season 3 / Episode 2 Contact

December 12th, 2021 Sunday
Lost In Space
Netflix
Season 3 / Episode 3 The New Guy
Season 3 / Episode 4 No One Left Behind
Season 3 / Episode 5 Stuck
Season 3 / Episode 6 Final Transmission
Season 3 / Episode 7 Contingency On Contingency
Season 3 / Episode 8 Trust

Polar Express
HBO Max

The Polar Express.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
On the twelfth day of
#25DaysOfChristmas

my home theater gave to me:
El Camino Christmas
Originally Released: 12/08/2017
Watched: 12/12/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

El Camino Christmas (2017) Poster

A series of idiotic mistakes by two inept sheriff's deputies in a rural Nevada lead to a deadly standoff at the local liquor store on Christmas Eve.

Recommended?
No

Why Not? Despite a deep cast of talented actors who do mostly decent work, it's simply too much of a bummer to make for a decent Christmas movie. Much of the movie's early "humor" feels too malicious to be funny. And once the standoff gets underway, it's more bleak and joyless than anything else.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Objective Burma via Warner Archive's superb Blu-ray disc. An excellent film with first class work from all concerned. I spotted Mark Stevens and didn't know that he had used a different name in his days at Warner Brothers.

Today I watched an even better Warner Archive disc: The Naked Spur.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After completing yet again a two month binge of the entire series of Gilmore Girls, Peg and I fired up:

87c35fd6-e0fd-4c8a-9ab1-860b9121bb5a_1.648bf6fe2ee463271d9bbdf8940b92c6.jpeg

I've heard about this film all my life and yet this is the first time I've ever watched it (on the new Blu release). Peg had seen it when she was a child.

What a nice film. While the story was good, the cast was great. It engaged me from start to finish.

EDIT: I forgot to mention just how incredible the film looked in this new release. The details and the colors were overwhelming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
On the thirteenth day of
#25DaysOfChristmas

my home theater gave to me:
Holidate
Originally Released: 10/28/2020
Watched: 12/14/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Holidate_2020_Poster.jpg

After disastrous Christmases, two strangers make a pact to be each other's plus ones for the holidays.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This is technically a holiday rom-com, in that it's a meet-cute that begins and ends around Christmas. But that's about all it has in common with the Hallmark and Lifetime competition. McG's Wonderland Sound and Vision is carving out a nice little niche for itself with these snarkier, more irreverent entries that lean heavier on the com than the rom. I had a blast with this one. Luke Bracey's job is to be handsome and Australian, but he holds his own well enough. Emma Roberts is perfect as the prickly female lead. And unlike last night's selection, it didn't bum me out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dinner At Eight for me last night. Another (yet another!) superb Warner Archive disc. This film will never be a special favorite but I did enjoy it more last night than previously. I'm going to watch it again fairly soon.

Not sure about tonight but possibly Lullaby Of Broadway.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We've started watching some of our favorite Christmas movies to help get us into the holiday spirit as we face another Covid Christmas. Our first two were The Shop Around the Corner and Christmas in Connecticut. I love the first for the poignant story and the second for the screwball comedy.

I just checked the stack of blu-rays I pulled out for the holidays, and they are all from the late 1930s up to the early 1950s and include the usual suspects. I love those movies, but I feel like I should expand my horizons. Anyone care to suggest more recent films that have that same holiday spirit?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can name some favorites from the past ~40 years but none truly have the same "holiday spirit" as those from the 30s-50s. In spite of that I make a point to watch each of these every year along with those 30s-50s classics:

A Christmas Story
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Christmas Vacation
Home Alone
Home for the Holidays
Scrooged
The Santa Clause
Mixed Nuts

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Thanks! Those are good suggestions. I've seen and enjoyed most of them but not in years. I should make some time to watch them again. The Santa Clause was a particular favorite here for awhile.

The one that I don't think I've ever seen is Mixed Nuts. I'll watch that this holiday season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Originally Released: 12/16/2021
Watched: 12/17/2021
In theaters: 7:00 PM digital IMAX showing on Screen 1 at Regal Crossgates & IMAX

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? If you accept the premise that superheroes are a modern mythology, No Way Home rewards the investment audiences have made in the past two decades of cinematic fables. It pulls out all of the stops as sheer entertainment, while not losing sight of its characters and what the stakes are for them. One of those movies that really plays with a packed house, too. Hopefully I don't end up with COVID from it.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I just checked the stack of blu-rays I pulled out for the holidays, and they are all from the late 1930s up to the early 1950s and include the usual suspects. I love those movies, but I feel like I should expand my horizons. Anyone care to suggest more recent films that have that same holiday spirit?
While You Were Sleeping is the Christmas movie I recommend from more recent times. It's not especially new but it is especially good and it has a wonderful leading lady.

I watched Lullaby Of Broadway yesterday and loved every moment. I thought Doris Day and Gene Nelson had good chemistry.

Possibly National Velvet tonight.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Enough streaming......give it a rest!!
Back to film tonight. House on Haunted Hill 1999 35mm, flat, DTS/SDDS/SRD
The star in this one actually looks like Mr. Price.
The_House_On_Haunted_Hill.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched High Sierra for the first time yesterday. Nice picture transfer by Criterion. Overall a good film, but the first half of it felt a little long and unfocused. From the heist to the end- great.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
In addition to our usual holiday movies, last night we watched Mixed Nuts (1994) thanks to the recommendation from BobO'Link. This was a new one for us. I liked it more than my wife did. There are some darker elements with Steve Martin playing the head of a suicide hotline that is about to lose its lease, and I like that sort of dark comedy more than she does. It's not going to become one of our regular holiday movies, but I'm really glad I watched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yokohawaii
Recent bookmarks