What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Twenty Plus Two (TCM app) 196. David Janssen plays an heir hunter who gets involved in an old kidnap mystery (plus murder, blackmail, rape of minors, beautiful Jeanne Crain and Dina Merrill) and a great scene with Agnes Moorehead. William Demarest shows up as well.
The Racket (TCM) 1951. The remake of the silent Milestone classic, also produced by Howard Hughes. So a tommie means a tomboy or code for lizzie? I could have sworn it was short for tomato. Did the screenwriter know in advance that Scott had been cast and that she was already an outed tommie? Or are we reading too much into this slang word? Still a good film. But could Ryan be so stupid knowing full well how the machine would rub out potential canaries? And what happened to his brother, that weasel? And to the big man himself? Where was the Production Code when we needed it?
Never knowing who the big man was always bothered me about The Racket. Also, I'm not so sure about Lizabeth Scott's sexual orientation based on what some rag published.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Two with John Boles:
One Heavenly Night (TCM) 1930. Produced by Samuel Goldwyn. Musical co-starring Brit star Evelyn Laye. Gorgeous voices. Slim plot. The always welcome presence of Lilyan Tashman. Old print.
Fight for Your Lady (TCM) 1937. Young Ida Lupino. Jack Oakie clowning it up. Erik Rhodes stealing the show. Amusing, light entertainment.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
7 Men from Now (iTunes) 1956. The first pairing of Scott and Boetticher, and a good one it is. Gail Russell, already ravaged by time, is still a good actress. Lee Marvin delivers the baddie. The HD looks very nice.
The Man with the Golden Arm (TCM) 1955. The Film Foundation restoration. It looks excellent, much better than the Network BD which lacks contrast, is grainy, and is in the wrong AR of 1.66, instead of 1.85, which is correct. Somewhat tame today, but shocking for its day. Sterling performances. Eleanor Parker is such a bitch!
Love Affair (TCM) 1939. The first and still the best version. The easy rapport of Dunne and Boyer is difficult to match, although Kerr and Grant are almost as good. The MoMA restoration shown is the best the film has looked in years of being the victim of PD hell. I first saw this when Bill Everson showed his 16mm original way back on June 11, 1973. I'd already seen the remake on the big screen several times, but this version superseded it right away. Perhaps because it was more economical? Who knows...Still, Dunne and Kerr have always been favorites of mine.

Reactions: Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
7 Men from Now (iTunes) 1956. The first pairing of Scott and Boetticher, and a good one it is. Gail Russell, already ravaged by time, is still a good actress. Lee Marvin delivers the baddie. The HD looks very nice.
Damn, I'm getting old as I forgot another title I watched on iTunes in HD. Gail Russell was only 31 or 32 when she made this film. She was dead in another five years due to her alcholism.

1602876655394.png

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Synthetic Sin 1929. Late Colleen Moore silent vehicle directed by William Seiter. She plays a Richmond belle who wants to play B'way, but hasn't lived the "wicked" life. Determined to learn, she moves to a NYC boarding house filled with gangsters, molls, bootleggers, etc. Very funny movie.
Back in Richmond, before moving to NY, Moore performs in blackface, the reason the film has never played anywhere since the dawn of sound.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Killer Shrews (TCM app) 1959. Oh, those critters looked nasty and behaved even worse! The acting of the poor victims was deserving of some shrew chewing. But I guess it's the kind of movie that's hypnotically watchable. And there's some kind of ecological or genetical moral somewhere.
Devotion (TCM app) 1931. Ann Harding, one of my great loves. Always seems so natural, and her scenes with the tragically short-lived Robert Williams stand out and make me wish he had been cast opposite her as Johnny in the 1930 Holiday. What a pair they'd made!
The Curse of Frankenstein (HBO Max) 1957. First saw this when it came out. Unforgettable experience and still a good show.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I like Gail Russell in this film - in fact, I like her in general - and I feel that she is no longer especially young strengthens her performance as a married woman who has had her disappointments.

• Agreed
Reactions: bujaki

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I like Gail Russell in this film - in fact, I like her in general - and I feel that she is no longer especially young strengthens her performance as a married woman who has had her disappointments.
And it made her a perfect match for Scott.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
For those members interested in the Friday the 13th 3D credits question, we're going to run the 35mm print of this title tonight. I'll pay close attention to the opening credits and make a report tonight around 8:30 PT. I'm still thinking the credit pop out titles begin as soon as Jason crawls away with the big knife and continues until the van pulls up to Vera's house. Stay tuned.

friday part 3D.jpg

Reactions: Dave Moritz

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
First Love (TCM app) 1977. William Katt in the throes of "first love." Susan Dey is the object of his affection and ensuing heartbreak. The superbly talented John Heard and Beverly D'Angelo (were we ever so young?) give support; and Virginia Leith shows up for a cameo. Sweet, tender story about the sentimental education of a young man, sensitively directed by Joan Darling.
The Seventh Cross (TCM) 1944. A restoration by George Eastman House and The Film Foundation highlights Karl Freund's cinematography, saving it from old, murky TV prints. Zinnemann's direction is solid and suspenseful. Tracy's fate is slippery until the final shot. Hume Cronyn was nominated for a supporting AA. I'll nitpick about Tracy's appearance as an escapee from a concentration camp: he looks quite hale and healthy, sporting a nice haircut. However, the film did give a lot of German refugees in Hollywood a chance to play good people, and not just rotten Nazis.
Dogfight (TCM app) 1991. Directed by Nancy Savoca. River Phoenix, one of the most talented actors of his generation, why, oh why, did throw away your life? A beautifully calibrated performance matched equally by the talented Lily Taylor in a disturbing film with an ugly premise that manages to redeem itself via the nuances of their apparently mismatched characters. A quiet, moving ending that cries me a river.

Reactions: Robin9

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 17th, 2020 Saturday

Batman & Robin
4K Blu-ray / HDR10
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 to Auro 3D

Batman and Robin.jpg

Hidden Figures
4K Blu-ray / HDR10