What's on your Daily Viewing List?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Glorious Betsy (YouTube) 1928. Unfortunately, the print available is a dupe and the sound discs were not used, so the talking sequences, including the bass Andres de Segurola singing La Marseillaise, are missing. Dolores Costello is lovely as Betsy; Conrad Nagel is dashing as Napoleon's brother, Jerome. Directed by Alan Crosland. Remade as Hearts Divided.
Tales of Hoffmann (YouTube) 1916. Stumbled upon this one by accident. Directed by Richard Oswald who gave us the very good 1929 adaptation of The Hound of the Baskervilles. This version of Hoffmann's tales sticks to the opera's libretto, taking some natural liberties (no sound!). An interesting artifact of its time. Werner Krauss (Dr. Caligari) makes an appearance.
My American Cousin (TCM) 1985. A Canadian coming of age story directed by Sandy Wilson. It's set in 1959, British Columbia. 12-year old Sandy meets her American cousin (17) and is attracted to his coolness. He's actually a scared runaway but the aura is there and she does a little bit of bittersweet growing up. A charming, unassuming film of a time and place long gone.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Tonight, Peg and I watched:

1601785242719.jpeg

This is one of this week's new releases. We received the DVD from Amazon yesterday.

Peg and I have a particular affection for senior dogs...and our goal, in retirement, is to move into a home on more land so that we can take on more older dogs and love them in their (and our) senior years.

That idea is a part of this documentary. It's not an especially well-conceived documentary in that it took some different people and their work with older dogs and tried to weave those stories together when they didn't always have much to do with the other.

There is the story of the photographer who found a calling of shooting pictures of people with their dogs to demonstrate their strong bond/relationship. There was the man and the smartest dog in the world. The dog had learned more than 1,000 words and could go and pick out various toys based on the name given them. And there was the story of a couple who went into senior dog rescue to save all the dogs at the old local dogs who would be euthanized at their local shelters. They ended up putting together quite an organization of volunteers and being able to fund the purchase of a large commercial property.

Individually, their stories are interesting. Together, though, it promotes incoherency. However, it was easy for us to lay that aside and concentrate on the individual stories and appreciate all the beautiful dogs and their personalities.
Some stills from the "dogumentary:"

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 2nd, 2020 Friday

Vertigo
4K Blu-ray / HDR10
Native 4K
DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

ONESHEET1203-2.jpg

Secretariat
HD Digital on Disney+/4K Apple TV upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

secretariat-poster-2.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tonight, after I whip up a couple of pizzas, we'll settle back with our new Jack Russell puppy and watch the 1940 'The Mark of Zorro' with Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell and Basil Rathbone, directed by Rouben Mamoulian. I didn't realise he had directed this till I checked out the cover of my Blu ray. An unexpected discovery.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Great Performances (PBS) 2 episodes of the series Now Hear This. The first one centered on the music of Haydn; the second one on the music of Schubert. Both are educational and of interest to lovers of classical music.
Rails into Laramie (TCM) 1954. Shown flat. Is this the OAR? The colors were very washed out as well. The plot is serviceable. John Payne is sent to Laramie by the army to clean up the town and finish building the railroad. Baddie Dan Duryea, an old friend, runs the town. Mari Blanchard is Duryea's saloon partner. Is she a bad girl? Who will win the battle of the rails and the girl? A neat plot twist: the first all-female jury in the USA passes sentence on Duryea, and not the expected one.
Strangers in Good Company aka The Comfort of Strangers (TCM app) Canadian film directed by Cynthia Scott and basically ad-libbed by the company of elderly women (non-professionals). They play a group of women on a tour bus that breaks down on a deserted road and have to survive by their wits for several days on an abandoned house by a lake until they're rescued. A quiet film, brimming with humanity, joy, life, sadness, the frailty of old age and life's end,; but overall, joy, companionship, love. This film moved me as no film has moved me in a long time. I smiled, I laughed and I cried in equal measures, and never felt a moment's dishonesty in the unfolding of the story as the women shared their lives. I was so glad to see the film and have no qualms about giving it my highest recommendation. Still available at the TCM app through October 13.
Orpheus (TCM app) 1950. Cocteau's masterpiece premiered the year I was born. I first encountered the film on Puerto Rican TV a scant 13 years later. I was familiar with the Orpheus myth by then so I was able to appreciate Cocteau's retelling. But I wasn't prepared to be hypnotized by the cinematic images, his visual poetry, and by the aural cadences of the French language (was this my first exposure to it, I wonder?). Of course I was reading the Spanish subtitles. But the sum total of the film was overwhelming. The image of Death in the incarnation of the striking Spanish beauty Maria Casares was unforgettable. The idea of mirrors as images of our daily deaths, of our passageways to the realm of death...everything touched a nerve on this impressionable youth.
My next experience with Orpheus was in NYC, a 35mm print, a definite step up from the old TV print. More visually arresting, still intoxicating. But now I was versed in the French language as well, so I had a deeper understanding of the beauty of the poetry.
And then last night, watching the restoration on TCM, all I can say is that the film is even more extraordinary. The word classic is bandied about irresponsibly. This one is a classic. No doubt about it.

Reactions: Robin9

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My best friend and I were looking for something we could watch together and talk about at lunch each week now that we have resumed our weekly lunches. He chose Longmire and I watched the pilot last night streamed from Netflix. Very enjoyable WYoming-set mystery series. Looking forward to a multi-season ride. Reading comments in the TV sections here, I see it gets more uneven in quality as it runs multiple seasons, but the cast is very good, and I'm looking forward to spending time with them.

Reactions: Doug Wallen

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco