What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As far as I know, this is the first original scripted movie made specifically for Disney+, and I was curious to see what the streaming service's level of ambition was for its original films.
I don't know if you could count it as "original," but the remake of Lady and the Tramp was always intended for Disney+ and never appeared on the theatrical schedule.

It's too bad Secret Society is not better. Austin Winsberg, who created Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, has a story by credit on that one and he is obviously very talented.

• Insightful
Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Mike Frezon

Premium
The purpose of the thread is for members to share the films that they have just watched (or are about to watch).

Many like to also post a few words about that experience.

We don't desire numerous gifs/video clips of films in this thread. Meanwhile, if you would like to share your viewing experiences, please do.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Kaskade1309

Second Unit
Real Name
S
The purpose of the thread is for members to share the films that they have just watched (or are about to watch).

We don't desire numerous gifs/video clips of films in this thread. Meanwhile, if you would like to share your viewing experiences, please do.
I understand that, but I had asked about picture clips -- because I noticed in the TV Show thread, people post up tons of static images to accompany their thoughts.

Are static images permitted in THIS thread?

I ask because it seems unfair to tell me I can't post any moving images while others are including tons of static pictures in other threads; just want to know if pictures are permitted.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

As Mike stated, when I started this thread it was about weekend movie viewings then we expanded it to daily viewings. It's about sharing our movie experiences and by doing so, perhaps giving other HTF members some film possibilities for future viewings. Some of us furnish movies posters, but, that's about it except a quick critique of the movies we watched. This thread isn't about gifs/video clips.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I understand that, but I had asked about picture clips -- because I noticed in the TV Show thread, people post up tons of static images to accompany their thoughts.

Are static images permitted in THIS thread?

I ask because it seems unfair to tell me I can't post any moving images while others are including tons of static pictures in other threads; just want to know if pictures are permitted.
Two moderators just told you we don't want them in this thread. If that's not being fair then so be it.

Kaskade1309

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I don't know why this is becoming difficult to discern...

What I'm asking is, there are NO still images/clips from films allowed here...just poster art/cover art? I understand the rule about the VIDEO GIFS...what I'm asking is if still image clips from the film being discussed/introduced is allowed.

I see a ton of these in the TV Show thread, so I wanted to know if they are permitted here.

I refer you to this page in that thread:

Kaskade1309

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Two moderators just told you we don't want them in this thread. If that's not being fair then so be it.
Robert,

With all due respect, one of those moderators, again, confirmed that he doesn't want videos/gifs included here...I'm not asking about those. You keep saying "we don't want them in this thread"...but I am not referring to VIDEO clips. I'm talking about STATIC picture images/stills from films.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
York Theatre Company (Zoom) Interviewing cast members of the revivals of their productions of Hallelujah, Baby!. Also presented clips.
Eight Girls in a Boat 1934. Paramount remade a 1932 quasi-Nazi film, softened its edges but still retained some of its bite and Nazi imagery. Dorothy Wilson plays a sensitive girl in a boarding school where Kay Johnson (against type) is a rigid rowing mistress. Douglass Montgomery plays the young, impoverished chemist who gets Wilson in "trouble." Abortion is hinted as a way out. Marriage is ruled out by Wilson's wealthy father (Walter Connolly), who is unaware of the true situation. Wilson fails her exams as an extraordinary, phantasmagorical sequence begins.
Johnson believes Wilson to be insubordinate and tortures her until the girl confesses her pregnancy. All of a sudden, sisterhood kicks in. Johnson pleads with Connolly to no avail. The girls decide to care for Wilson and the baby, but eventually the Montgomery comes to take Wilson away and she goes with him. A tearful farewell.
This film, although sold to TV, was never shown. I doubt that it was ever reissued due to its delicate subject matter: pregnancy and abortion. Furthermore, the opening of the film shows the girls dressed in very revealing swimsuits and reveling in showers and dropping their towels (discreetly) to take their weight while Johnson slaps their bottoms. Definite no-nos after the Code and this film was released on 5 January 1934, just before the clampdown.
Women Make Film (TCM) 2020. Part 5 of the documentary series. It remains a very interesting, educational show.
Krane's Confectionary (TCM) 1951. Directed by Astrid Henning-Jensen. A Danish seamstress, stressed by life, abused by her children, her ex-husband and her customers strikes up a passing acquaintance (and a one-night stand) with a lonely Swedish sailor who helps her reassess her life. Theirs are delicate, sensitive performances. The film is beautifully shot through sunlight, moonlight, rain, fog, many key scenes inside Krane's; other scenes inside the sailor's shack. The flashback scene is shot with overexposed stock. Very good film.
Adoption (TCM) 1975. Hungarian director Marta Meszeros made her first feature film (after many shorts) in 1968; her last, so far, in 2017. Shot in stark, austere B&W, closeups of faces, compressed action with much left out (a good thing). A childless widow of 43 wants a child with her married lover; he refuses. She befriends a ward of the state and helps her marry her boyfriend, who spat during the wedding feast. The woman adopts a child. The end. The genius is in the telling and how the director holds your interest (my wife didn't want to see it and she was riveted). Film won the Golden Berlin Bear.
Middle of Nowhere (TCM) 2012. Ava DuVernay's exploration of the effects of incarceration on the jailed people and the people outside. A husband is sentenced to 10 years on a weapons charge. His wife struggles, her dreams of med school smashed, her finances stretched. Her love for him endures. He is toughened by his environment and involved sexually with a corrections officer. She falls for a bus driver. Eventually she decides that, although still in love with her husband, she will not BE in jail with him for the term of his sentence. Her life will go on while she waits in the middle of nowhere and see where it takes her. And him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

With all due respect, one of those moderators, again, confirmed that he doesn't want videos/gifs included here...I'm not asking about those. You keep saying "we don't want them in this thread"...but I am not referring to VIDEO clips. I'm talking about STATIC picture images/stills from films.
That thread you linked has far too many posts with multiple Static picture images/stills. It's one of the reasons why I won't participate in it because it's too late to change the norms in that thread. We don't want Static picture images/stills in this thread.

This post is fine. A post like this one or even this post won't be allowed here. This thread is not going to be a slide show for any particular movie. One image per movie is all we want in this particular thread.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have said this before. I don't think any still images are necessary at all, even posters and covers. Some postings really should be saved for a "print your own flip book" thread. I never look at these anyway and it is really tedious to have to keep scrolling through them to get to the text.

Kaskade1309

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I have said this before. I don't think any still images are necessary at all, even posters and covers. Some postings really should be saved for a "print your own flip book" thread. I never look at these anyway and it is really tedious to have to keep scrolling through them to get to the text.
I was merely asking for clarification because I was told not to use the moving images, while static images were rampant in the TV Show thread; it's not really a matter of it being "necessary," it's just that some folks like to include some visuals to accompany what they're reporting on having watched.

You mentioned that you never look at these, but perhaps others do and like them? Just a thought; I know I have had people on other forums comment that they thought my gifs accompanying a particular film were "awesome" and/or funny, interesting, et. al.

I think it's a bit weird that someone would purposely avoid a thread because of the use of images, but to each their own; I still don't know exactly which "posts" Robert was indicating should be avoided in terms of examples above, as when I clicked on his links, it took me to pages of posts...I'm not sure what is considered okay and what isn't in this particular thread.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco